British Teachers Still Blaming Games for Schoolyard Violence

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Yes. No kids do that without video games. Not like ITS PERFECTLY FREAKING NORMAL!

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Then do something about it, TEACH these little wankers something for a change. Kids will be kids and just because no one in this country seems to be arsed in raising kids or teaching them properly doesnt mean you can go on the hunt for a convienient scapegoat.

A lot of people leave high school with only an infants grasp of maths and english. Sort that shit out first before going after play time.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Well done OP, for the massive generalisation you have embedded in the title.

Yes everyone, obviously every single British teacher disagrees with young children playing video games, bastards, aren't they? American teachers would never think such a thing.

Here's a quote from one teacher who lives in England.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
Oh look another games are to blame headline...when are they going to stop blaming video games and blame the parents for allowing them to play games which aren't suitable for them, i mean for f*** sake these games have age ratings if the parents were to pay attention and look at it (and look at what the games about on the back) they'd be less children playing "murder-simulators".

I will always blame the parents when it comes to their child playing violent video games, if they can't control what there kids do in there house then maybe social services should pay them a call. Now i will admit i played games younger than i was supposed to but never something which was an 18 until i was around 16 and i'm not a violent person, in fact i've been in 3 fights through the whole of my school life and they were started by the other person.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I think some of the report is okay, like the fact that teachers aren't exactly jumping on a 'ban gaming' bandwagon, they seem exasperated that parents just aren't taking enough responsibility as to what media the children are exposed to.
However, children hit eachother and act out all these 'grotesque' scenes regardless of where they were seen. It's not really a problem that can be fixed. The tiredness due to gaming all night is, however, fixable and almost entirely down to the parent. You don't develop bad habits like that unless someone lets you.

Mar 5, 2011
Why do we need more legislation? We need better parents. When I was growing up if my mom caught me with an M rated game she would ground me and then take the game to the local game store and sell it, keeping the money. If it was a friends then she would she the other parent and show them, usually getting my friend grounded also.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Is it wrong for me to say that these people are bloody tossers?
Anyway I can address their concerns,as uninformed as the teachers are,but this applies to ALL media,and I do mean ALL,that includes books too.Also parents should really spend time with their kids as much as they can,instead of just slouching in front of he TV after work,I bet that if parents spend an hour almost every day with their children,they will be much more behaved,you can't let media develop your children.Though from personal experience,I can say that the internet has raised quite well in the last 3 years,now I can be more cynical,instead of just joking around with hard truths.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Vault101 said:
stricter legislation?

what about...education?!..hey parents...see this 15+ rating here? if you worry about little john and his games you might want to take note
Exactly.

I was in a school on placement just before christmas and the children weret alking about Modern Warfare 3, an 18 rated game. 10 year old kids.

It isn't the games fault, nor the developers, or publishers, or even the retailers; it's the fucking parents.

If it says 18 in a big red circle on the box it means it isn't for children. My kids sure as hell won't be playing 18 rated games until they're old enough to understand violence is fine in games but in reality it's not acceptable.

But then maybe I'm just smarter than the average retard who got pregnant at 14 here in the UK.
¬_¬

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Explain the insane bullying rates in the 60's, 50's, 40's, 30's, 20's, 10's, 1800's, 1700's, 1600's. FUCKING 1500's! AND FURTHER

GO BACK FUCKING HUNDREDS OF YEARS, IT WAS ALWAYS FAR WORSE THAN IT WAS NOW, URRRRGGGEGHGHEGHGHGGHHGH

Bullying is fucking pussy-play now! 'Thumping!? Hurting!?' Jesus Christ, it's what kids do! They want to hit other kids! Kids are assholes! That's just the way they are!

Kids back in the 20's would break each others legs as an act of bullying! (Seriously, look that shit up)

In Victorian times, suicide rates were sky high because of bullying but nobody gave a shit because the mentality was that they were weak for suiciding, and pupils were routinely set on fucking fire. The amount of stories in local papers back then were littered with these sort of extreme cases of bullying from all over the country!

I also get the feeling this isn't isolated to Britain, I saw a similar thing in an old timey American, and Australian newspapers.

I suppose that was all video-games fault as well was it!? God dammit, why are teachers always morons?

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Well they have to blame something, blaming themselves would be plain stupid. In my experience teachers themselves are to blame, whenever my classmates used to abuse someone most of them simply ignored it and went on like nothing is happening.

EhDerangedMonk

Sep 6, 2010
I came to school many times dead tired from staying up too late. Should I blame books for being so addicting? I also once imagined excessively violent action scenes occurring on the playground, many of which were inspired by the novels I had read. Clearly books are wrong and should not be accessible to children and adolescents under the age of 18.

While some forms of entertainment should be kept out of the hands of children, I propose that, rather than seeing video games as a problem one should strive to ensure that children know the difference between reality and fiction, between socially acceptable and unacceptable. For the more empathetic people out there, they should simply be told to consider the consequences to others of enacting a virtual scene in real life. This strategy applies to every form of entertainment media and is considerably more useful than shifting the blame to the newest entertainment fad.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
(Facepalm) or for the love of-! Can't parents take care of their own kids? Sure, they shouldn't be playing overly-violent video games, but still, they should at least know better!

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
While most of this article is utter bullshit, there is one point where I have to agree with the teachers. Many children (including me) stay up late to play video games. In my defense, this is only at the start of every major school holiday. I stay up late each night because I am enthralled in my new book, not because I want to hear another swearing ten year old in Call of Duty. When I was in first grade my teachers bought the class a star wars lego set. They made sure to point out that they were taking away all of the weapons (lightsabers, lasers, etc.) Do you want to know what me and my friends did? We took freaking lego pieces and made them into said lightsabers and lasers. If a child wants to make a weapon, then he/she will make a weapon, no matter if it's made out of lego or their imagination. People have been playing war since the dawn of time, blaming video games won't make that any less true.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Grey Carter said:
"throwing themselves out of the window of the play car in slow motion and acting out blood spurting from their bodies,"
So the kids are playing some strange mix of Flatout, with Serious Sam levels of blood? I'd want to play this game!

Steering (pun!) back on topic, I don't see anything new here. Kids have been attacking each other since the dawn of time. Probably earlier. When I was in pre-school, more than 10 years ago, some kid threw a rock at another kid's head. And it hit. I wasn't there that day, but the description of the event was horrifying.
Hell, my dad's told me stories of what happened when he was a kid in Ukraine, 30 years ago. Far more brutality than nowadays. Reading Craig Ferguson's book, American on Purpose, revealed some really scary things about growing up in Scotland in the 60's and 70's. If anything, school violence is decreasing. I know. I'm in school now.
As well, the kids are:
"acting out quite graphic scenes"
Yeah, acting. Doesn't mean that they're actually tearing each other apart. Kids are kids, they will always be violent, and stopping them is impossible. Let them do it. Just make sure they don't actually hurt or kill each other.

dontlooknow

Mar 6, 2008
Defensive, knee-jerk reactions to 9 year old kids been allowed to play COD - a game rated 18 - till 12 at night is, frankly, inexcusable. Likewise, simply passing it off as 'boys will be boys' seems to suggest that the behaviour is okay, and that it isn't a behaviour to be avoided.

I'm not saying that I agree with what ever legislation that might come out of this, but these parents give gaming a bad name - belittling the medium to the position of an occupational toy.

It confuses me that on this site, where the games are so broadly celebrated, from their cerebral the their cathartic abilities, so few people get wound up by this: a situation in which school children are regularly provided the opportunity to play otherwise prohibitively violent and unsuitable games has become endemic, and all we can say is that 'boys will be boys.'

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
WAIT, PEOPLE ARE BLAMING SOMETHING COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO THE PROBLEM IN ORDER TO ESCAPE RESPONSIBILITY? Seriously, not surprised at all. People will always try to blame others for their own failures.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
Vault101 said:
PureIrony said:
Kids beat the shit out of each other because we are living in an age which glorifies violence to an almost masturbatory extent. That, and the fact that everyone in this generation seems to have no sense of self-control, and that should go double for children.
pretty sure thats been going on since caveman times

me and my brother used to get into fights all the time (and he was a biter)
Trust me when I say a bitter is better than a thrower. We still had sharp metal toys in the 1990's. You would be surprised how sharp the corner of a fake cash register can be.

On another note kids have always been doing violent things regardless of violent media. Me and my friends used to pretend we used the weather to kill people or something like that.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
So, merry olde England is wanting more control? I'm beginning to wonder why the British want to live in a nanny state. I already hated the idea of all the cameras all over the country, and then reading about the recent push by the government to track communication between literally everyone within the country. What's next? Ankle monitors on every citizen?

PureIrony said:
Kids beat the shit out of each other because we are living in an age which glorifies violence to an almost masturbatory extent. That, and the fact that everyone in this generation seems to have no sense of self-control, and that should go double for children.
Because that has never happened before in the history of humanity. Just gloss over the Vikings, Greeks, Romans (especially the Colosseum), and basically every human civilization ever. Yeah, this kind of thing is unique to the modern day.