British Teachers Still Blaming Games for Schoolyard Violence

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Considering our education in the United Kingdom are spending our taxes on educating entire generations of children then they should follow suit with other government branches like the NHS and exercise EVIDENCE BASED POLICY!

There is a wealth of scientific and evidence backed studies on child behaviour, they should use it. Then they'll find what an insignificant factor video games are on inappropriate conduct.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Yet again, parents don't want to take responsibility for their kids. If the game is rated as inappropriate for your child, guess what? They probably shouldn't be playing it.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
A country that has soccer riots and rugby as national pass-times.. yeah.. it's the video games.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I liked this comment

"Sheratt also claims that since gaming is a "fairly solitary existence" it can have a negative effect on communication skills."

Games are far more social than they used to be, multiplayer. Look at WOW, its mostly social interaction with other, same with Live and PSN. Yes most are calling each other a ************ or fag but its still interaction when you find the right set of people. Then you have gaming threads etc to discuss stuff. Might as well say watching a movie is solitary as well.

Kids are always violent. I used to have play fights with friends all the time for fun. Then you have arseholes that are bullying - which is different and teachers should deal with it.

I used to watch horror movies at 12 years old and it never made me violent. Ive played games since i was 8, from the Atari and onwards and it never made me anti social as gaming with friends is far more fun. If your child is a solitary game then, as a parent, go in his room and interact with him. Taking the child out, be social. I hate this when teachers and parents blame games for their actions but allow the kid to stay in his room for 12 hours playing them. Maybe these kids wouldnt be so violent if there parents took time to look after them, show interest in what they are doing and in their life. Instead they let the child be raised by tv and games....no wonder some learn the wrong lessons in life.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Children are emotionally stunted sociopaths, having said that... the parents suck for letting them play games too mature for their tiny minds and the Government is to blame for being such pathetic examples, you lead the country... and you are freaking horrible examples, bunch of thieving d-bagels.

Dont want people to steal? Lead by example. Dont want people to mooch? Lead by example. Dont want people to be aggressive? Lead by example. You dont make kind, gentle people by cracking them in the head with a baton. You make angry, defensive people who hate authority figures.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Buretsu said:
We all know that games are causing schoolyard violence. It's just a fact of life.

Little Timmy likes CoD. Little Billy likes MW. You know they're going to fight over which is the better game...
Why would they fight between who likes CoD and MW? They are the same thing.

I argued about which game was better; FF7 or LoZ: Ocarina of Time, but I didnt smack someone upside the head over it... ultimately because its obvious FF7 is better.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
It seems everyone is too pre-occupied with blaming everyone else to actually try and do something about it.

Don't get me wrong though. For all I care they fight as much as they want, the nasty little shits.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Try to see it from the teachers' POV -- we can't just say, "Parents need to parent better." If we do that, we'll get crucified and fired, in that order. Instead, we have to indirectly target the parents. In a sense, we have to use some of the same strategies we use to get kids to learn stuff they don't like.

Instead of saying, "You need to do more work to keep your child supervised, parents," we have to pick a specific target. We then call for more supervision regarding that target. The result? More supervision. It honestly has little to do with games themselves, and could just as easily apply to any hobby.

So why games?

1. They're so widespread and common to most kids. That makes it an effective point of attack, if we want to choose a target that will impact most kids (and thus most parents).

2. Video games aren't necessarily "solitary," but they do require little input from the parent. Parents don't have to drive the kid to them, pay continually, receive progress reports, and (as many kids have TV/console in their own rooms) they don't even have to see them. Since the parent then knows the kid is "safe in their room," there's even less impetus to supervise. This makes video games a particular sticking point regarding parent supervision.

It's the only tactic we have. If we blame the parents, no matter how absolutely right we are, they can just shut us out. Why? Because you can fire a teacher, but not a parent. So instead, we are forced to choose a surrogate "bogeyman" to make parents afraid of, so that they'll go after it... and, in doing so, actually do the job they chose to take.

Summing up, we're not really trying to attack games. We're attacking absentee parents through games. As a gamer myself, it's unfortunate that my favored hobby has to come into the crossfire, but it's the only safe way for teachers to get through to parents about lack of supervision and... well... parenting.

Squidbulb

Jul 22, 2011
Wait, if they don't know what game the scene is from, who's to say it's not from a film? Someone getting thrown out of a car window could easily have been in any action movie. Besides, you should blame the parents for letting kids play games clearly marked "18". or "16" or whatever. Pretty much every argument you can use against games applies to films as well. Besides, kids are stupid. They like to hit each other. There is no-one to blame but them. That's just how they are.
Sylveria said:
A country that has soccer riots and rugby as national pass-times.. yeah.. it's the video games.
Football. Also, those are adults. Adults who basically have no functioning brain after being hit in the head with a football too many times.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I have been playing games since 1984 since I was 3 years old and I got one single detention at school for not doing my maths homework. I am now a BA/BSc.

I call BS on teachers.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
PureIrony said:
Kids beat the shit out of each other because we are living in an age which glorifies violence to an almost masturbatory extent. That, and the fact that everyone in this generation seems to have no sense of self-control, and that should go double for children.
Absolute garbage.

Kids have been beating the hell out of each other since the dawn of man. Physical and emotional bullying happens all over, and I guarantee you'll see it in parts of the world where there are no video games and society is entirely different from ours.

Children need to be raised to not be violet and hateful, and that starts immediately with the parents. You can't leave them to grow up on their own and expect them to turn into model citizens. Remember when your parents yelled at and punished you for misbehaving, and taught you the difference between right and wrong?

mooncalf said:
Alternative headline; "Adolescent Behaviour Modeled on Violent Fiction Reveals Parental Neglect."

Doesn't quite roll off the tongue does it? Guess that's why we never see it on the front page - that and you can't criticize the only people buying your nonsense.
I actually believe that headline would generate a lot of buzz... a lot of people would agree with it and find it a nice difference to the ignorance and blame of 'vidya gaems!'.

KrossBillNye

Jan 25, 2010
I swear to god.

Parents and Teachers are so quick to blame the cause of why Children are so violent. They blame music, art, books, video games, but you know the one thing they don't blame? Themselves.

Seriously people. Raise your kids with a little more responsibility and do your job as a Parent and a Teacher. Kids lead by EXAMPLE. If you let your kid watch TV that shows violence, if you are violent at home, if you IGNORE Bullying in school, you are just rotting the poor child's brain into thinking that this is the norm and this is the way you are meant to behave.

Whose really the immature brat? The child that turns rotten or the people that were SUPPOSED to bring that child up proper?

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Dastardly said:
Grey Carter said:
Try to see it from the teachers' POV -- we can't just say, "Parents need to parent better." If we do that, we'll get crucified and fired, in that order. Instead, we have to indirectly target the parents. In a sense, we have to use some of the same strategies we use to get kids to learn stuff they don't like.

Instead of saying, "You need to do more work to keep your child supervised, parents," we have to pick a specific target. We then call for more supervision regarding that target. The result? More supervision. It honestly has little to do with games themselves, and could just as easily apply to any hobby.

So why games?

1. They're so widespread and common to most kids. That makes it an effective point of attack, if we want to choose a target that will impact most kids (and thus most parents).

2. Video games aren't necessarily "solitary," but they do require little input from the parent. Parents don't have to drive the kid to them, pay continually, receive progress reports, and (as many kids have TV/console in their own rooms) they don't even have to see them. Since the parent then knows the kid is "safe in their room," there's even less impetus to supervise. This makes video games a particular sticking point regarding parent supervision.

It's the only tactic we have. If we blame the parents, no matter how absolutely right we are, they can just shut us out. Why? Because you can fire a teacher, but not a parent. So instead, we are forced to choose a surrogate "bogeyman" to make parents afraid of, so that they'll go after it... and, in doing so, actually do the job they chose to take.

Summing up, we're not really trying to attack games. We're attacking absentee parents through games. As a gamer myself, it's unfortunate that my favored hobby has to come into the crossfire, but it's the only safe way for teachers to get through to parents about lack of supervision and... well... parenting.
As one who only too recently left secondary education I can sympathise. It really is too easy to blame the teacher for everything ranging from bad grades to lack of parking spaces.

But this particular stab is published not by a specific teacher, but by a representative organisation that can afford to push hard truths, as their audience is far greater than "little timmy's parents".

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
itchcrotch said:
KIDS - WANT - TO - SMACK - EACHOTHER!!
you people are teachers! you should knows this stuff!
my little brother was raised on barbie dolls (don't ask) and he still discovered how fun it was to throw them at the wall and stomp on them!
This I was in a couple of fights before I even left primary school and the mpst violent game I played at that point was Crash Bandicoot 2. Hell I even had my head cracked open in nursery when another kid threw a wooden block at me. Kid can be violent, especially young boys, remove all mention of guns and violence from around them and still a kid will find a stick and pretend its a gun.

Granted kids shouldn't play games that aren't meant for their age but if parents are goong to properly monitor what their kids are playing wjat can you do?

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
How about everyone stop wasting their time trying to find something to blame and just get on with disciplining the little shits to understand that their behavior is inappropriate and will not be tolerated? It's amazing how well-behaved people can be when they are made to realize their actions have significant consequences.