Britons Set Group Cosplay Record

Lopunny

Apr 15, 2009
thecaptainof said:
I went last year for a Rock Band competition. The journey was... interesting. People on the Underground don't really seem to get the cosplay thing. Though, to be fair, nor do I really. But as long as it means I get my picture taken with attractive women dressed as Sorceress Edea, I'm all for it.

Nah, seriously... I'm not remotely interested in anime or comics but, still, it was good surreal fun for an outsider. Bit of a shame I was busy last weekend and couldn't go, but they do it twice a year so I'll try to go along to the next one in October.
Sorceress Edea? was that a joke or did some girls go as that once? because that would be....interesting :p

I know people who have dressed up as the arrancar from Bleach, made up the hollow masks and everything...

ps Doc Theta Sigma, i love your display pic!

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Lopunny said:
thecaptainof said:
I went last year for a Rock Band competition. The journey was... interesting. People on the Underground don't really seem to get the cosplay thing. Though, to be fair, nor do I really. But as long as it means I get my picture taken with attractive women dressed as Sorceress Edea, I'm all for it.

Nah, seriously... I'm not remotely interested in anime or comics but, still, it was good surreal fun for an outsider. Bit of a shame I was busy last weekend and couldn't go, but they do it twice a year so I'll try to go along to the next one in October.
Sorceress Edea? was that a joke or did some girls go as that once? because that would be....interesting :p
No, that really happened. There was a girl dressed as Edea (full headgear and everything) and I had my picture taken with her. I'd post it here, but it was taken on my old phone which has since been stolen.

There was a Quistis too, but I lost sight of her before I could ask for a picture. Needs more Selphie though...

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Why would anyone want to cosplay as Shadow the Hedgehog...>.<
He's a cool character that has a lot of potential: but Sonic Team couldn't grasp the implications of any of their characters if you handed them a syopsis with the important parts highlighted.

I mean, Shadow is a clone of Sonic. That leads to all sorts of possibilities: the ethics behind his existance, the search for his own meaning or destiny, his desire to destroy the original he's based off of, etc.

And you know what ST did to him instead? They made him the gangsta of the Sonic universe. They're idiots who can't understand the very license that they mass produce, and that's why Sonic has failed in recent years. Not because the IP can't exist in a 3D world, but because the developers with the rights to it suck at game design.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
scotth266 said:
oliveira8 said:
Why would anyone want to cosplay as Shadow the Hedgehog...>.<
He's a cool character that has a lot of potential: but Sonic Team couldn't grasp the implications of any of their characters if you handed them a syopsis with the important parts highlighted.

I mean, Shadow is a clone of Sonic. That leads to all sorts of possibilities: the ethics behind his existance, the search for his own meaning or destiny, his desire to destroy the original he's based off of, etc.

And you know what ST did to him instead? They made him the gangsta of the Sonic universe. They're idiots who can't understand the very license that they mass produce, and that's why Sonic has failed in recent years. Not because the IP can't exist in a 3D world, but because the developers with the rights to it suck at game design.
Hence my question. WHy would anyone want to cosplay a horrible horrible horrible character...

Having potencial doesn't save from sucking hard.

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
Well regardless of my opinions on cosplay (its not for me), having looked through the album, I have to say that quite a lot of the characters were really well done. Even if I didn't know who they were (as soon as it strayed into anime territory), the work that a lot of the people put into the costumes are plain to see and it has worked.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Hence my question. WHy would anyone want to cosplay a horrible horrible horrible character...

Having potencial doesn't save from sucking hard.
True, but I still like to think that he's a cool character, regardless of how Sonic Team has bastardized him. Hell, they can't DO characters at all: they added a really cool one in Sonic Heroes (the robot) and then gave him crap lines and generated little interest in him.

All in all, I'm just saying: Shadow is cool, Sonic Team can't use him worth balls.

As for cosplaying in general, I think I already made a comment somewhere else. Hold on while I find it... I'll edit it into this post.

EDIT: Damn, it's lost... but it was like this: Cosplaying is cool, provided you put effort into it and look like the person you try to cosplay as.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
needausername said:
What exactly is cosplaying?
It's dressing up as a favorite character from any form of media. Anime characters, comic book characters, videogame characters, it's all cool.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
...really? Only 400? I'm positive there are more than that at some of the larger cons.

Also, cosplay can be awesome when done right.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
You know I didnt even think we had cosplay scene in Britain, I thought it was something the Japanese and Americans did.