Britons Set Group Cosplay Record

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Britons Set Group Cosplay Record

Offering further proof that the British have too much time on their hands, a collection of nearly 400 cosplayers gathered at the recent MCM Expo in London to break the world record for "largest gathering of people dressed as video game characters."

On hand for the event were officials from the Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition who certified [http://community.guinnessworldrecords.com/_New-Cosplay-Record-at-London-MCM-Expo/BLOG/289601/7691.html?widgetId=5096] that the 376 unfortunately attired Britons had smashed the previous record of 342.

Unfortunately, the accomplishment doesn't necessarily garner an instant spot in next year's record book. Guinness says the record will "be considered for inclusion," but offers no promises.

If you ask me, that's a very brave decision, given how notoriously violent cosplayers can be when enraged. There's no more terrifying sight than a grown man being ripped limb from limb by teenagers dressed as the cast of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/tangst/880879476/])

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Ohh that's what that was! I kept seeing funnily dressed people in London...including one carrying a 7-ft sword.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I went last year for a Rock Band competition. The journey was... interesting. People on the Underground don't really seem to get the cosplay thing. Though, to be fair, nor do I really. But as long as it means I get my picture taken with attractive women dressed as Sorceress Edea, I'm all for it.

Nah, seriously... I'm not remotely interested in anime or comics but, still, it was good surreal fun for an outsider. Bit of a shame I was busy last weekend and couldn't go, but they do it twice a year so I'll try to go along to the next one in October.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Wait, wait, WAIT.

I didn't even know there were any events like this in England, I thought it was just America. So, even though I never knew these events existed they set a record? Holy crap.

EDIT: Why does Shadow The Hedgehog have an assault rifle? Which Sonic game was this?!

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Sparrow Tag said:
Wait, wait, WAIT.

I didn't even know there were any events like this in England, I thought it was just America. So, even though I never knew these events existed they set a record? Holy crap.

EDIT: Why does Shadow The Hedgehog have an assault rifle? Which Sonic game was this?!
I think it was Shadow The Hedgehog game if I remember he had guns running around shooting things I dunno I never played it.

Shadowtalon

Apr 14, 2009
Sparrow Tag said:
Wait, wait, WAIT.

Shadow the Hedgehog.

Not really obscure, but you probably don't want to know anyway.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I thought cosplayers actually... dressed THEMSELVES up. You know, make-up and everything. They just put on halloween costumes ;d

Shadow sux imo. He could've gone as Knuckles...

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Oh good god... Bottom left hand corner, I spy a Leafeon and Mudkip V.V Please people, if you're gonna cosplay do it sensibly. Mudkip suit on a little kid? Cute cause Pokemon is meant for them. On a 20 year old? Creepy as hell.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
WrongSprite said:
I'm sorry but....they just look.....so stupid.
Really though its better than going to a wow convention and see a bunch of little people dressed like murlocs.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Really? This doesn't seem right. I can't remember the actual name, but have they never been to that one really big convention in Japan? Again, I can't remember the name, but I do remember it goes for several days, and is, if I remember correctly, physically over a hundred acres in size. I can't imagine they don't destory this number every year without trying... though it would be mostly anime characters, but a fair number of anime characters are also video game characters so... yeah.

Either, it's still impressive and... well different, at the least.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Nothing wrong with a little cosplay, guys.

Earnest Cavalli said:
If you ask me, that's a very brave decision, given how notoriously violent cosplayers can be when enraged. There's no more terrifying sight than a grown man being ripped limb from limb by teenagers dressed as the cast of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.
This reminds me of the gif where a bunch of people in costume come out of nowhere and start chasing a guy down the street.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Nearly 400 people and that photo is the best they could take? Heh.