Broken Gameplay Elements you Don't feel Bad about Using?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
High INT in New Vegas. With 10 Int and Comprehension you level up very quickly and earn so many skill points that if you have the DLC installed you can get every skill to 100 on the same character.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Cheesing multiplayer content, as a single person.

I play a lot of games solo, including a lot of MMOs. The problem with MMOs, is, well, the whole "Massively Multiplayer Online" part, so a lot of content in these games is geared towards multiple players. So, when im playing by myself, it often means that I need to get creative, and if "creative" means running around in circles for 10 minutes, kiting an elite enemy, whilst slowly chipping away at its health with a ranged attack, then so be it.

Probably not worth the time or the effort, but whatever. I don't feel bad.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Fireballing Saverok off screen. You sometimes had to do it twice.

But letting him on the screen would generally mean instant death

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The final upgrade for Perfect Guard in No More Heroes III. Provided you're at max health and don't get hit, you will shred enemies and bosses health real fast. Getting max upgrades on your attack power early, on Normal at least, makes most fights pretty trivial.

Nearly all of the alternative Blitz Attacks or Special Attacks, with their forward variants, are just so much better than the standard defaults in Streets of Rage 4. Now they are part of the DLC, but once you unlock them in survival mode, you'll hardly ever want to go back to the default versions aside from challenge. Though Axel by far has the worse alternative unlockable move sets, aside from his Blitz attack and Star Special. All 3 DLC characters are all broken too; especially Shiva.

Relay Mode in The TakeOver. Switch between characters anytime you want by pressing jump twice. Some characters are better than others when approaching certain enemies or bosses. The only risk is switching while enemies are around and risk getting hit.

Crysis 3 - The Predator Bow. Nuff said.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Stealth archery in Oblivion. For years I had no idea the melee combat was so crappy because virtually nothing lived long enough to close the distance and anything that did was almost dead anyway. But playing fantasy sniper is so much fun.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Stealth archery in Oblivion. For years I had no idea the melee combat was so crappy because virtually nothing lived long enough to close the distance and anything that did was almost dead anyway. But playing fantasy sniper is so much fun.
I did that in skyrim and ended up just getting really bored since nothing was hard... except those fucken drauger lords and they weren't hard, just annoying as hell since they took like 100 arrows.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Save scumming in Oblivion to get the Sigil Stone drop you wanted.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I did that in skyrim and ended up just getting really bored since nothing was hard... except those fucken drauger lords and they weren't hard, just annoying as hell since they took like 100 arrows.
Ah, I really loved Tenchu back in the day, so my challenge was really to do as much of a stealth run as possible. It's just my natural go to in all those ES/FO games, it's how I enjoy playing them. I have diversified over time, but it's what I go for 1st every time.

Save scumming in Oblivion to get the Sigil Stone drop you wanted.
Lol, I did not know that was a thing, but if that's what you're doing you might as well cc that shit, much less effort.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
SaGa Frontier has a two-part infinite money exploit.

1) The Junkyard exploit: buy three pulls from the Junkyard in Scrap. Get your three things, talk to the vendor again, go to "Sell" and press the button to "sell" a Hyperion Bazooka twice. It doesn't matter if you don't have it. Do not sell an actual Hyperion Bazooka. If you have a Hyperion Bazooka, "sell" something of lesser value on the list twice.

Go back into the junk yard and pick up 7 more items. Repeat and the gear will get better. Once you have a sufficient amount of gear for your future party (the best common gun in the game is in there, for example), max out your Swords. Swords are one of the few items you can sell in Shrike, while some leather goods can be sold in Koorong.

2) Gold Trading: buy 5 gold ingots, one at a time, from Koorong. Then hop on a ship to OWMI, followed by going to Nelson. Nelson sells gold bars for 500 a piece, while Koorong's price fluctuates. Sell gold bars in Koorong until they go back down to 500, then go back to Nelson and repeat the process. Use as needed

2a) Stack Overflow: if you have enough gold bars to drop the price to zero, you can keep holding down well past it looking like you would sell for nothing. When you start scrolling back up, the sell price will start rising immediately, thus boosting the price artificially

if you play SaGa Frontier, I recommend these options. SaGa games have a reputation for difficulty to begin with and it's economy is broken anyway. You'll still wipe plenty if you don't know what you're doing. Besides, it's single player so who cares?

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm going through Horizon: Zero Dawn again (cuz it's good) and the 'strike from above' skill pretty much negates having to use your bows on any smaller machine. This skill is labeled as a stealth skill in the menu, so a lot of people might not be aware of how OP it is against the low-level enemies and humans. It gives you an R1 prompt when you're above an enemy for an instant kill, but this prompt will appear regardless of whether you're in stealth or not. So even when you're in the midst of combat if you get high enough above an enemy you can perform this attack even when said enemy is in the middle of attacking you. The R1 prompt supersedes anything else the enemy might be doing so long as you can move yourself high enough for it to flash onscreen.

I wouldn't say it's a broken mechanic necessarily since you still need to quickly maneuver yourself to succesfully activate it, but somehow I doubt Guerilla meant for this move to be used in the heat of battle.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Cheesing the Capra Demon in Dark Souls. I've only fought that fight legitimately maybe twice in my dozens upon dozens of playthroughs. It's such a shit fight, I had to YouTube strategizes to make it easier, then I found a video of some guy tossing firebombs over the fog gate killing Capra without even entering his arena. Haven't fought him legitimately since. Were it not for his clones in the Demon Ruins, I'd probably have forgotten what he even looks like.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Cheesing the Capra Demon in Dark Souls. I've only fought that fight legitimately maybe twice in my dozens upon dozens of playthroughs. It's such a shit fight, I had to YouTube strategizes to make it easier, then I found a video of some guy tossing firebombs over the fog gate killing Capra without even entering his arena. Haven't fought him legitimately since. Were it not for his clones in the Demon Ruins, I'd probably have forgotten what he even looks like.

That's how I killed him. Because fuck him and his dogs. I swear he was the biggest PITA in the early game mostly because of the damn closet he lives in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Using TRIANGLE/(Y), TRIANGLE/(Y), *pause*, TRIANGLE/(Y) for Aquila or Arbiter in DmC (2013). Aquilla's combo move can be used in the ground or air, and catches all weak enemies or enemies that have been weakened. Sets them up for more elaborate combos or you keeps them in a stun loop. This a must have move on Gods Must Die the moment you hit-stun an enemy. Arbiter is just so satisfying to use, even though it only has a few combos. The combo I mentioned has a very chunky, hard hitting, satisfying sound the moment you make contact with a demon and land the hit.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
After watching a video about Homeworld, I was reminded of one of my favorite exploits: The Salvage Corvette. So in a game full of space warships, the salvage corvette is an unarmed utility craft that is used to capture or tow other craft. What's interesting is that the Salvage Corvette can be used to Capture almost any ship in the game, except for a very few plot unique ones. All you need is a sufficient number corvettes to capture even carriers and battleships and the moment they all get in position the ship is captured and unable to fight back, at which point the salvagers yoink the ships back to your mothership to convert them to one of yours. Salvage corvettes are cheap and fairly quick so you can use them to swarm larger, isolated ships.

The beauty of this is that the game has a unit cap, but that just doesn't allow you build any ships that would go over the level cap. Any salvaged enemy ships bypass this requirement and properly utilized, you can yoink massive parts of the enemy force right out from under them and man is it sweet. Unfortunately, the devs realized this also and in HW2 they replaced them with the Marine Frigates, which are almost completely useless and the enemy makes sure to prioritize them so there's almost no reason to bother.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Jump kicking Kronika in Mortal Kombat 11. She's the final boss, and like most Mortal Kombat final bosses, she has several attacks that just feel cheap, and trying to fight her normally will generally just end in you losing to a computer that is stronger than you, and can read your every move. However, for some reason, she is extremely vulnerable to jump kicks, and blocks them maybe 10% of the time.

If you make a cheap boss with that blatant of a vulnerability, you bet your ass I'm taking advantage of it.

Reactions: BrawlMan