Brothers in Arms: WTF?! (aka "Furious Four")

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
So I just watched the trailer for the latest Brothers in Arms game, "Furious Four."

My reaction:​

Seriously, I'm pissed right now. The Brothers in Arms series is known for its historical accuracy, squad-based gameplay, and portraying the human cost of war. It's one of the few video game series that got me so emotionally invested in the characters that their deaths literally moved me to tears.

So WHY in the name of all that is holy would they reduce the series to this crass, shallow, juvenile abomination?! Not only does it not deserve the moniker of Brothers in Arms, but it's a slap in the face to the longtime fans. We wanted to find out what happens to Baker's squad. We wanted to know if the remaining characters will survive or not. We wanted the same pedigree of authenticity, drama, and squad elements that made the series stand above the glut of other World War II shooters. Not this...THIS...GRRRRARRRRRGGGGHHH!

What's your reaction to this? Do you agree, or am I overreacting?

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
Vin Diesel must be cameo-ing somwhere. On-topic, it does seem way way waaaaaaay away from what made the Brothers in Arms games great to play and pack an emotional whallop. Hmm...Gearbox must still be in a funny mood. I blame all that Duke Nukem Forever they've been making.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
inglorious bastards meet team fortress 2.... I'm just saying what I'm seeing.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
I actually think it looks great. Completely and totally removed from what I was expecting...but still not bad. Hilarious, at the very least.

Dagnius

May 3, 2010
Tsaba said:
inglorious bastards meet team fortress 2.... I'm just saying what I'm seeing.
That's exactly what I was thinking. It looked like it might be fairly entertaining. I want to see more.

However when they mentioned 'a new type of WWII experience' I first thought they were going to talk about that WWII game where Nazi soldiers ride dinosaurs... rofl

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Ordinaryundone said:
I actually think it looks great. Completely and totally removed from what I was expecting...but still not bad. Hilarious, at the very least.
Now that I've taken a moment to compose myself a bit more, I think your observation is the main reason why I'm so dismayed. I don't necessarily mind some mindless killing. I've done my fair share of mowing down hordes of Nazis in the Wolfenstein games, after all. It just baffles me why they'd call it a Brothers in Arms game, as it appears to have no connection to the series at all besides being set in World War II.

If they had given it a different title like "Inglorious Bastards: The Game," I would probably be more receptive, but associating it with the Brothers in Arms series when it has nothing to do with the previous games irks me to say the least.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Tired of WW2 games and the usual oh-look-at-me-i'm-the-closest-thing-to-the-real-thing, how about we add things that games are missing? The fun! Yep, i am loving what I see so far :p

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Is that real? Fuck me Gearbox have lost the plot. This makes me want to see Gearbox just go away. Jesus and I thought it was only Ubisoft who were this massively stupid in fucking up their IPs.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Considering there was a metric fuckton of gritty war shooters in e3, a new fresh original take on the fps is always welcome in my books.

Forum_Name

Mar 23, 2011
Jingoistic nonsense, but why not? They're in the market of making games, not historical accuracy.
LoL, maybe there's some "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" / "Hellboy" style Nazi occult in there too.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
cursedseishi said:
octafish said:
Is that real? Fuck me Gearbox have lost the plot. This makes me want to see Gearbox just go away. Jesus and I thought it was only Ubisoft who were this massively stupid in fucking up their IPs.
The plot to what...? How hard is it for some people to comprehend the game is a spinoff of the main Brothers in Arms series? I guess they should apologize though for not contributing to the already overly saturated WW2 market though huh? I mean hell, this is about the only route NOT taken to hell and locked down in games with the genre.
How hard is it to not use an existing IP when making a game that has nothing to do with any that came before it? This is as stupid as the proposed Call of Juarez 3. No one who loved Brothers in Arms will look kindly on this. They just killed an IP.

Shit, they could have just called the game Furious Four, or The Nazi Killers, or something, did they need to drag a beloved franchise into the shit?

The Night Shade

Oct 15, 2009
The game seems like fun but why? in the holy mother of F*** does it have to be a Brothers In Arms sequel seriously this game should not be attached to that franchise

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
I honestly did not realize this was a Brothers in Arms game, I saw part of the trailer later, only the beginning, got bored with it pretty quick. The OG BIA games were so awesome, when I saw that this was a BIA game I literally tilted my head like a confused dog.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
What's your reaction to this? Do you agree, or am I overreacting?
My...reaction? I-I don't know...

I saw the trailer and the next thing I knew I was curled up in the bathtub, I was naked and drenched in blood...

*sob*

On a more serious note, I can't believe that trailer is real. I don't want to believe it. How did the brothers in arms series turn into this!? If team fortress 2 and Inglorious Bastards had a baby, and Team Fortress 2 drank and smoked heavily during the pregnancy, this is exactly what I expect the result to look like.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Eh, Gearbox has overdosed on testosterone, give it a few years to wear off. I'm calling this one Inglorious Brothers.

Shamelessly ripping off TF2 and Tarantino in one product, GG.

But I do agree, if they want to make an uninspired game like that they could separate it from the Band of Brothers franchise since from the looks of it it won't look nor play anything like it.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
cursedseishi said:
octafish said:
The plot to what...? How hard is it for some people to comprehend the game is a spinoff of the main Brothers in Arms series? I guess they should apologize though for not contributing to the already overly saturated WW2 market though huh? I mean hell, this is about the only route NOT taken to hell and locked down in games with the genre.
Serious question, when was the last time a WW2 shooter came out? Cause as far as I can remember, it's all been modern war oriented for awhile now, you might be right tho, but if there has been a WW2 shooter recently I can't remember it right now.

Back on topic, is Montana supposed to be The Heavy? he has no sandvich, and that was a poor excuse for Sasha!

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
octafish said:
How hard is it to not use an existing IP when making a game that has nothing to do with any that came before it? This is as stupid as the proposed Call of Juarez 3. No one who loved Brothers in Arms will look kindly on this. They just killed an IP.
This man speaks the truth.

*Profanity laden all-caps rant incoming*

SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS BULLSHIT!? FUCK YOU GEARBOX. YOU HAD A GREAT IP WITH AN ADMITTEDLY SMALL BUT DEDICATED FOLLOWING, AND YOU'RE COCK SLAPPING US IN THE FACE? FUCK. YOU. REAL FUCKING BRILLIANT THERE, DICKWIPES, PISS OFF YOUR EXISTING FANBASE. WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU USE AN EXISTING IP FOR THIS? FEW, IF ANY HARDCORE BROTHERS IN ARMS FANS ARE GOING TO BUY THIS BECAUSE YOU TOOK ONE OF OUR FAVORITE GAME SERIES AND SHAT ALL OVER IT. YOU COULD HAVE GONE WITH A DIFFERENT NAME AND I MAY HAVE CONSIDERED IT, BUT BECAUSE YOU DECIDED TO TRASH US, IT'S TOO FUCKING LATE. FUCK YOU. I AM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING NEVER BUYING ANOTHER GEARBOX PRODUCT.