Brush Your Teeth, Sophia

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The medical warning is amazing. "For erections lasting longer than four hours, avoid at all costs" indeed.

This is probably my favorite one so far.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
If Toothbrush Clown actually existed, I'd build a sink right next to my computer so I could play games while my teeth are brushed.
ThyNameIsMud said:
I don't think it's the government's job to regulate my use of clown labor.
You don't understand. Breaking these rules can lead to... consequences.
lacktheknack said:
The medical warning is amazing. "For erections lasting longer than four hours, avoid at all costs" indeed.
Meaning that the strange videos you hear about sometimes can't use actual clowns.

Captcha: free hat. Is it a clown hat?

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
kailus13 said:
If Toothbrush Clown actually existed, I'd build a sink right next to my computer so I could play games while my teeth are brushed.
No. Look at the size of that toothbrush. It would rasp off your face. And if not, it would certainly obstruct you view of the screen whilst you were getting orally violated by Toothbrush Clown's monolithic brush.

I don't know what kind of house this clown is living in, but that electrical outlet in panel 2 looks ridiculously low to the ground. And, if I scale it out based on the floor slats, it doesn't appear to be anchored to a stud on either 16" OR 24" centerlines! These things being said, I find it difficult to take anything else in this comic seriously.

I love the clown pic in panel 2. This depiction reminds me of the art style of Sergio Argones--one of my favorite artists. Also, I have totally been that guy, seated at a tea party with a little girl trying his best to keep it together while I drank cup after cup of luke warm tapwater.

Nick warned us about a possible dark descent into heavily clowncentric comics. I am becoming overly anxious at this possibility just like the CL disclaimers mention. I fear a comic apoclownlypse. Ugh. That did NOT work. Like not AT ALL. Should I backspace and erase it? Nah. I'll put my Editor Clown on it.

So, Mr. Lerman, out of mild curiosity...I have two questions for you...

1. What is the time span between getting a miasma of an idea for a strip to final completion? I'm quite colorblind so I stay as far away from colored pencils and crayons as possible. I only do electronic illustrations in color (and not well). I am curious as to how long this sort of thing takes.

2. How did you and The Escapist fall into bed together? Did you approach them or them you?

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Clankenbeard said:
kailus13 said:
No. Look at the size of that toothbrush. It would rasp off your face. And if not, it would certainly obstruct you view of the screen whilst you were getting orally violated by Toothbrush Clown's monolithic brush.
Dman, good point. It looks like I'll actually have to pay someone for teeth cleaning duties.

I don't know what kind of house this clown is living in, but that electrical outlet in panel 2 looks ridiculously low to the ground. That being said, I find it difficult to take anything else in this comic seriously.
It might be useful when you're vacuuming.

Nick Lerman

Aug 27, 2013
Clankenbeard said:
So, Mr. Lerman, out of mild curiosity...I have two questions for you...

1. What is the time span between getting a miasma of an idea for a strip to final completion? I'm quite colorblind so I stay as far away from colored pencils and crayons as possible. I only do electronic illustrations in color (and not well). I am curious as to how long this sort of thing takes.

2. How did you and The Escapist fall into bed together? Did you approach them or them you?
Thank you for the interest and the questions.

The time varies from drawing to drawing depending on several factors such as coffee intake, familial demands and ennui just to name a few. Sometimes it comes out all at once but usually it done in small sessions when time permits.

A few years ago I did a parody called Alien vs. Pooh which garnered a little internet attention for a few days.
I decided to start a weekly blog. You can get to it from my profile. A mutual acquaintance introduced me to The Escapist. I submitted some of my blog posts and they decided to give me a chance and see how I did with their audience.

I have been selecting blog posts and turning them into captioned cartoons. I am curious to see how long I can live.
The cartoon sword of Damocles dangles above me.

Here we are today discussing clowns and electrical outlets.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
CL was outlawed in Maine in the 1980s or 90s, because of an incident between some kids and Clown named Pennywise(I think?)

Namechangeday

Aug 13, 2012
I also heard Clown Labour is banned in schools as too many people have coulrophobia, especially kids(and my english teacher).
Great comic as always!

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I love this cartoon. It's scary, but (in my head) turned into a battle of valor or wits as Sophie overpowered or trickled the Clown into doing her bidding. Or maybe she reasoned with him enough that he was willing to put aside his job to frighten children and gain a new family in the process.

And now she rules over the once scary foe that threatened to scare her into foamy submission. Or you know, he's actually having fun doing chores and having tea parties.

Either way, Sophie is awesome.

I'm going to just show the first panel to my baby sister. Maybe scaring the shit out of her will get her to understand the important parts of proper oral care.

Annnd, now I'm going to go back to my homework. 'sigh'

Nick Lerman

Aug 27, 2013
CleverCover said:
I love this cartoon. It's scary, but (in my head) turned into a battle of valor or wits as Sophie overpowered or trickled the Clown into doing her bidding. Or maybe she reasoned with him enough that he was willing to put aside his job to frighten children and gain a new family in the process.

And now she rules over the once scary foe that threatened to scare her into foamy submission. Or you know, he's actually having fun doing chores and having tea parties.

Either way, Sophie is awesome.

I'm going to just show the first panel to my baby sister. Maybe scaring the shit out of her will get her to understand the important parts of proper oral care.

Annnd, now I'm going to go back to my homework. 'sigh'
Sophia has grown used to my scare tactics.
She'll probably grow up to be a clown to spite me.

In lieu of thanks I have sent the Homework Clown in your general direction.
He will find help you when you least expect it.
Good luck in your studies!

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Nick Lerman said:
Sophia has grown used to my scare tactics.
She'll probably grow up to be a clown to spite me.

In lieu of thanks I have sent the Homework Clown in your general direction.
He will find help you when you least expect it.
Good luck in your studies!
Oo Oh fuck no, I'll be good I swear. I'll do my homework! Well, It might be counter-productive typing that on this site...but I really promise to do my homework...after a nap.

No wait, I was joking! Don't send the clowns after me. I'll be good! I swear I'll be good.

'hides under table'

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Just wanted to say, I really enjoy your comics. This one was no exception. The clown's face in the second panel left a huge grin on mine.

Nick Lerman

Aug 27, 2013
Caiphus said:
Just wanted to say, I really enjoy your comics. This one was no exception. The clown's face in the second panel left a huge grin on mine.

Thank you for the kind words. They fill me with power!
If the Thank You Clown were available I would send him to you this instant.
It's probably better for our relationship that he is occupied at the moment,
searching for dylanmc12.