Bryuuuuuuuuutal Legend any good on PC?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
It's on sale on Steam for the weekend and while I played the 360 demo and loved it I heard that it has a lot of control issues and the such on a gamepad. What with the PC I figured it'd be the better platform for the RTS sections, but I'd like to get some more input before I slap down my cash for it.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Brutal Legend isn't good either way. It had potential at first. The story looked interesting, the combat was standard but the setting, satire and comedy made it good. And then came the concert battle thingy's... And once those were introduced it was basically all about just getting to the next battle.

And god those battles...they suck. It's like a very bad RTS with third person elements. Controls for the battles are annoying and un-intuitive, squad commands are too simple and the general gameplay of these battles is just...boring imo.

So the game may look okay or good, but really...it's not once you get into the 'actual' gameplay after the set-up/tutorial story.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
As a game, it's not the greatest but it's a nice story. It's got character, which is sorely lacking in gaming recently. If you don't mind that the gameplay isn't exceptional and play games mainly for their stories, you'll enjoy it.

Fudj

May 1, 2008
Pretty good game for the first half but the moment it switches to RTS it starts to suck a fair bit, it becomes a slog rather than a fun game to play......and there were some truly amazing bits in the game, The car (and Ozzy for one), the music tracks and the voice work were all well done....just the RTS bits really drag it down.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
It's a pretty good game, at least I think.

I think it runs better on PC than console.

Though there is ONE issue I had...
When I update the game, it got messed up and I had to do a full uninstall/reinstall.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Well the worst part about the console version were the RTS bits, so getting to play those sections with the right equipment (KB&M) should make it better.

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
If you're a metalhead, then this game is worth every penny. Fantastic soundtrack, great voice work from legends like Ozzy Osbourne and Rob Halford, and an aesthetic that screams pure metal. This game gets metal, and it gets metalheads, no question about that.

If you're not a metalhead, then this game is a lot harder to recommend. The combat isn't great, and the RTS elements don't have a ton of depth to them. Then there's the fact that the second half of the game feels extremely rushed in comparison to the excellent first half.

As for the PC version, it has everything you expect, and nothing more. It runs smoothly at an uncapped framerate, and there are no major issues that I know of (then again, I haven't really played a ton of the PC version, so someone else's opinion on the matter is probably more valid). It controls fine with a mouse and keyboard, though it isn't really any better than the gamepad controls.

Edit: I want to emphasize that the RTS sections control the exact same way with mouse and keyboard as they do with a gamepad. That being said, this isn't a huge deal because the best strategy is to just send your entire army at one point and then wade in and kick ass yourself. I just wanted to clear this up.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Did anyone else here enjoy the RTS sections enough to try the multiplayer? I never understood why they were hated so much.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
bluepotatosack said:
Did anyone else here enjoy the RTS sections enough to try the multiplayer? I never understood why they were hated so much.
Yeah, I loved them too and I played my fair share of them online, Drowning Doom being my faction of choice.

I think people hate them because they can't wrap their head around the fact that they weren't actually about real time strategy and that for the most part precision control isn't required at all. People complain about getting the same old stuff over and over, but when they're presented with something that's actually different they just find the nearest thing to compare it to and call it a bad version of that.

So while I can't comment on how good the PC version is, I loved the game.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
I was a big fan of it on PS3, even more so now on PC. The RTS sections work a lot better on PC, in fact the console crowd was probably not the ideal target audience for this type of game. Anyway I highly recommend the PC version, it's beautiful, runs a lot better, there was slight draw distance issues on the PS3 version at least,for me anyway, coming from playing on PC it was very noticeable. It just looks better, plays and feels better on PC, go for it.

Klaflefalumpf

Oct 3, 2010
I for one really enjoyed it, although you'll probably need to understand most of the references to get any real enjoyment out of it. The gameplay wasn't anything special. But as others have already said, getting it pre-owned for Xbox is a better call on price alone.

cocoadog

Oct 9, 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed the game for the xbox, haven't played the PC version. Could just be me though a lot of people are critical of it.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I regret buying it. Although it's such a cool concept with fun aesthetics, amazing music and great voice acting, the actual gameplay is so fuckin' boring. I don't understand why they decided to make it an RTS. It could have been an awesome hack & slash game.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
sanquin said:
Brutal Legend isn't good either way. It had potential at first. The story looked interesting, the combat was standard but the setting, satire and comedy made it good. And then came the concert battle thingy's... And once those were introduced it was basically all about just getting to the next battle.

And god those battles...they suck. It's like a very bad RTS with third person elements. Controls for the battles are annoying and un-intuitive, squad commands are too simple and the general gameplay of these battles is just...boring imo.

So the game may look okay or good, but really...it's not once you get into the 'actual' gameplay after the set-up/tutorial story.
Nail, right on the head.

The demo shows NOTHING of what the main game plays like. I bought it thinking I'd enjoy the fuck out it.

It is literally the ONLY game in the entire history of my gaming career that was so below my expectations that I returned it.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
If you're a metal head it's worth getting just for the art direction. There are tons of subtle (and not so subtle) nods to songs, bands, musicians, album covers, etc. and there's really nothing else like it. As for the GAME part of it, I'm not going to lie and say it's good but I don't find it to be as bad as most people say it is. The main battle mechanic is an RTS where you yourself can weigh in on the battles, which sounds interesting in theory, it even would've been done alright if it wasn't so difficult to actually manage things while trying to fight. I think a lot of people were expecting an action game and got something different. It's not terrible, just subpar, and it's far from the whole game.

Id say its worth 10 bucks.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Geo Da Sponge said:
bluepotatosack said:
Yeah, I loved them too and I played my fair share of them online, Drowning Doom being my faction of choice.

I think people hate them because they can't wrap their head around the fact that they weren't actually about real time strategy and that for the most part precision control isn't required at all. People complain about getting the same old stuff over and over, but when they're presented with something that's actually different they just find the nearest thing to compare it to and call it a bad version of that.

So while I can't comment on how good the PC version is, I loved the game.
I think the game should take part of the blame because it's so unexpected when the RTS sections come (not to mention the marketing made it seem like a different game), it's jarring. I had that feeling when playing, and that was years after release, after everyone (me included) knew it had this RTS part.

Once I got the hang of the RTS part of the game, though, I loved it. I already did love the world and characters and so on but I think the RTS part of the game is really enjoyable and the game would have fared better if the transition was planned a bit better.

Overall though I love the game, I didn't think I was going to like it so much but I did. It's not a perfect game, but it's quirky and has a lot of character.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
I love the game, but it has its weaknesses.

First the good: Great style, soundtrack, art, voicework... even the writing is pretty good for the most time.
And seriously: "Bring it Home" - solo. (You play a short riff and the camera zooms in on a burning zeppelin coming your way, which slowly falls onto the battleground and DESTROYS the crap out of the enemy.)

Pumas with lasereyes. Motorcycle-driving demons attacking your three-stories high "Tour-Bus". It is just great playing this game. The fight against the Spider-Queen or the Escape sequence through an exploding, demon-attacked "pleasure tower" while "Through Fire and Flames" is playing in a souped-up hot-rod.

The bad: Single-Player is WAY too short. (The third faction and boss pretty much are ONE fight... just right after the second) It feels like 1/3 of the campaign is missing (Along with some sidequests - there are a few at the start, then they vanish at the middle. Rushjob at the end, i guess

People complain that the RTS is a bit too simple and lacks complexity. Well... yeah, maybe a bit. Still fun though.

But man, i would love a second one. In my opinion: Maybe only a "good" game, not great; but it is GREAT entertainment

Captcha: for sure. (See, even the captcha agrees)

So yeah, buy it.