Budget White Metalcraft

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Budget White Metalcraft

Building to win without hurting the wallet.

Read Full Article

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Encaen said:
Budget White Metalcraft

Read Full Article
It's a decent budget White Weenie build but is very prone to blowouts from artifact hate and can easily run out of steam without the three in play.

My budget aggro deck would look like this (all cards bought mint from Starcitygames)

Creatures- $10
4 Doomed traveler
4 Delver of secrets
4 Accorder paladin
4 Invisible stalker
2 Fiend hunter
4 Suture priest

Other spells- $17
2 Silver inlaid dagger
4 Ponder
4 Rebuke
4 Think Twice
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Vapor Snag

Land
10 Plains
10 Island

$27 dollar deck that wins by turning guys sideways for lots of damage. Every creature in the deck bar the suture priests is able to pick up the silver inlaid dagger and use it to regain life lost through not blocking etc.
You invisible stalker also demands a mass removal spell or you've go them swinging in every turn for a decent amount of damage
The vapor snags, rebukes and O-ring let you deal with your opponents largest threats easily and remain on the offensive while ponder and think twice get you some more gas to keep playing creatures.

>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Going from budget into competitive you have Mirran Crusaders at $7 each (2 can be found in the White innistrad event deck along with a Champion of the Parish and two Honor of the pure) in the 3 mana slot for a massive boost to the decks power. Champion of the Parish provides another 1 drop ($4 each) that keeps on growing and growing and growing as pretty much every creature you drop afterwards is going to be a human. Geist of St traft ($20) provides great reach to the deck and is also difficult to remove.

Taking out two nonland cards for two copies of moorland haunt ($4 each) makes each creature useful even after it dies by providing spirit tokens. You also have the option of using the M12 Duals ($3.50) and Scars of Mirrodin ones to shore up the mana base by replacing basics with lands that can produce both types ($14)

For other spells you have Honor of the Pure which pumps all of your tokens made by haunt and most of your creatures (2 can be found in the Innistrad event deck otehr they cost $2 each). You can replace the silver inlaid daggers with 2 copies of Sword of War and Peace and run a singleton copy of Angelic Destiny ($20) because nothing says screw you like a turn 3 Mirran crusader into turn 4 destiny turning him into a 6/6 flying Doublestriker with protection from black+green.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Encaen said:
Budget White Metalcraft

Read Full Article
Another suggestion for the deck is Dismember (approx $3.50) because of how efficient a removal spell it is. It's also unconditional (unlike most of the rest of the removal this deck has) which means if you're behind it can help you come back.

Oh and Shrine of Loyal Legions would be a godsend for this deck. You have plenty of white spells for it and it really helps you win post-wrath.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
ZeZZZZevy said:
Encaen said:
Budget White Metalcraft

Read Full Article
Another suggestion for the deck is Dismember (approx $3.50) because of how efficient a removal spell it is. It's also unconditional (unlike most of the rest of the removal this deck has) which means if you're behind it can help you come back.

Oh and Shrine of Loyal Legions would be a godsend for this deck. You have plenty of white spells for it and it really helps you win post-wrath.
Completely forgot about shrine! That would also be awesome in budget weenie/tokens so long as you keep the three mana open to pop it in case it gets targeted by removal. Doesn't evenhave to be post wrath just as soon as it's got plenty of tokens pop it EOT and make lots of dudes.

In other news this guy

Is preselling at $55 on Starcitygames. Holy fucking hell...

BigDrig

Oct 21, 2011
Love these articles. As a newbie in the MtG world, I am learning all that I can. Your articles are informative, accurate, and just all around great. Keep it up!

Encaen

May 6, 2005
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Going from budget into competitive you have Mirran Crusaders at $7 each (2 can be found in the White innistrad event deck along with a Champion of the Parish and two Honor of the pure) in the 3 mana slot for a massive boost to the decks power. Champion of the Parish provides another 1 drop ($4 each) that keeps on growing and growing and growing as pretty much every creature you drop afterwards is going to be a human. Geist of St traft ($20) provides great reach to the deck and is also difficult to remove.

Taking out two nonland cards for two copies of moorland haunt ($4 each) makes each creature useful even after it dies by providing spirit tokens. You also have the option of using the M12 Duals ($3.50) and Scars of Mirrodin ones to shore up the mana base by replacing basics with lands that can produce both types ($14)

For other spells you have Honor of the Pure which pumps all of your tokens made by haunt and most of your creatures (2 can be found in the Innistrad event deck otehr they cost $2 each). You can replace the silver inlaid daggers with 2 copies of Sword of War and Peace and run a singleton copy of Angelic Destiny ($20) because nothing says screw you like a turn 3 Mirran crusader into turn 4 destiny turning him into a 6/6 flying Doublestriker with protection from black+green.
First, I love the direction you took your budget deck. Doomed Traveler has been one of my favorite 1 drops since I first saw it, though Delver is really nasty in the right build, especially with deck-fixing like Ponder.

Out of curiosity, do you favor Angelic Destiny over Hero of Bladehold? I keep waffling on that. On the one hand, more bodies with Hero is good. On the other hand... well a turn four 6/6 flying doublestrike is kind of absurd.

Also, I do love Honor of the Pure. I'm waiting eagerly for Dark Ascension when I can finally put together my White Tokens deck with Intangible Virtue [http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/magic_single_card.asp?cn=Increasing%20Devotion&sn=Dark%20Ascension]. So. Excited.

ZeZZZZevy said:

I still can't believe that Dismember goes for $3.50. It's Uncommon! In any case, that's definitely a fair inclusion here(or practically any deck for that matter) though I'm hesitant to swap out my Dispatches for it. Maybe I could make this a true Scars Block deck and swap out the O-Rings and a couple of Sunchasers for a playset of Dismember.

I may have to test out the Shrine and see how that works out. I'd be mostly worried that I'd be taking a turn off to cast it. Though, I suppose as Metalcraft goes, there's nothing like an army of Myrs to make sure it's always online, and it does provide some great resilience against Wrath effects.

Thanks!

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
BigDrig said:
Love these articles. As a newbie in the MtG world, I am learning all that I can. Your articles are informative, accurate, and just all around great. Keep it up!
Got any questions you need answering? Post em and I'll answer, or someone else will then I'll answer any way.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
In other news this guy

Do you think that price is going to stick? He's pretty fancy, and he does a decent job of defending himself, but Garruk does that pretty well, too, and he never really broke $30.

What kind of builds do you see taking advantage of Sorin here? Can you imagine a BWG Planeswalker build with access to Liliana, Garruk, Sorin, Elspeth and Gideon!? Maybe WUB would be better, though, given access to counter magic and library manipulation. That's probably a fair trade for Garruk and also gives you Unburial Rites [http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/magic_single_card.asp?cn=Drogskol%20Reaver&sn=Dark%20Ascension]. Hmmm...

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
Encaen said:
What kind of builds do you see taking advantage of Sorin here? Can you imagine a BWG Planeswalker build with access to Liliana, Garruk, Sorin, Elspeth and Gideon!? Maybe WUB would be better, though, given access to counter magic and library manipulation. That's probably a fair trade for Garruk and also gives you Unburial Rites [http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/magic_single_card.asp?cn=Drogskol%20Reaver&sn=Dark%20Ascension]. Hmmm...
One thing that I think is crazyawesome about the new Sorin is his -6 effect... namely, the fact that it can destroy any creature or planeswalker on the field. I have a strong feeling that this guy is going to be really obnoxious for someone poor to play against. xD

Anyway, awesome budget deck, Enacaen. Always love seeing good decks made that a strained student like me could afford. I have to say, I love my current G/B self-mill/creature control deck, and I managed to make it for $20-$30, not counting the cards I already had, and the ones I'm putting off on.

I also think that one thing that needs to be mentioned is that there are many uncommons that cost more than many rares and mythics. Using my deck as an example, Beast Within [http://www.trollandtoad.com/p309631.html] (which I have since taken out) costs as much (give or take, based on the site) as Glissa, the Traitor [http://www.trollandtoad.com/p304679.html], and Glissa is a mythic! Not to mention Kessig Cagebreakers [http://trollandtoad.com/p321232.html] and Splinterfright [http://trollandtoad.com/p321300.html], which both cost less than a dollar on average.

I see what you were trying to say. You don't need mythics or rares to make a good deck, but that doesn't mean that all mythics or rares will cost you a fortune.

^_^

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
I recently got a Deck Building Kit so that my brother and I could play this game, I also got an Innistrad Intro Pack and a Booster. So right now I'm using the Red/Blue deck from that where you activate spells from the Graveyard, and I built a mediocre Green/White deck. My brother has Black/Red deck that seems to be focused on burn.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
In other news this guy
To my utter confusion. Currently he has no deck (in my opinion) because he's an offense-based BW planeswalker, something neither solar flare nor esper really wants. He is really cool though, so I certainly wouldn't be unhappy to open him.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Encaen said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:

First, I love the direction you took your budget deck. Doomed Traveler has been one of my favorite 1 drops since I first saw it, though Delver is really nasty in the right build, especially with deck-fixing like Ponder.

Out of curiosity, do you favor Angelic Destiny over Hero of Bladehold? I keep waffling on that. On the one hand, more bodies with Hero is good. On the other hand... well a turn four 6/6 flying doublestrike is kind of absurd.

Also, I do love Honor of the Pure. I'm waiting eagerly for Dark Ascension when I can finally put together my White Tokens deck with Intangible Virtue [http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/magic_single_card.asp?cn=Increasing%20Devotion&sn=Dark%20Ascension]. So. Excited.

Well It really depends on the deck you're building as to whether to use Hero or Destiny. In Token Township you'll want Bladehold as he's a massive finisher that requires immediate answer or you just run away with the game in UW Haunted Humans definitely the Destiny as it's repeatable creature pump that turns any one of your guys into massive threats.

I've been testing out a Wgb Token deck on magic workstation today using some DKA cards after I got home from work and it seems pretty very solid game 1 and has a lot of options for the sideboard.

Creatures - 12
3 Doomed Traveller
3 Birds of Paradise
3 Blade Splicer
3 Hero of Bladehold

Spells - 18
2 Day of Judgment
4 Intangible Virtue
4 Midnight Haunting
4 Gather the Townsfolk
4 Shrine of Loyal Legions

Planeswalkers -8
3 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
3 Elspeth Tirel
2 Garruk Relentless

Land - 22
2 Gavony Township
4 Razorverge Thicket
4 Woodland Cemetery
4 Isolated Chapel
4 Plains
4 Forest

Sideboard - 15
2 Day of Judgment
2 Sword of War and Peace
2 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Doom Blade
3 Go For The Throat
3 Celestial Purge
2 Oblivion Ring

The sideboard is basically a removal package with the swords to board in to give your guys a little bit of an extra boost.

Vs RDW
-3 Hero -2 DOJ +3 Purge +2 SWaP

Vs Solar Flare/Esper control
-2 DOJ +2 SFaF

vs UW humans/illusions
-1 Sorin -1 Elspeth -3 Blade Splicer +2 DOJ +3 GFTT

For a dedicated Sorin build it'll probably go Esper (WUB) control using him to maintain board position while you find a game ender like a titan/elesh norn etc or a dedicated BR Vampire deck using chapels and the RW land to splash for him. Depending on the rest of the cards in DKA Superfriends could become viable aswell.

His price will probably rise to $60-70 before dropping down to about $40 if he sees some play but staying up there if he gets a Tier 1 deck that uses him. If he sees no play by the end of April he'll probably drop down to about $25-30 but because he's in a small set that's only being drafted with one pack until Avacyn's Return (3rd set this block where the draft is AVR-AVR-AVR) when it's not being drafted at all along with the massive casual appeal of being a kickass vampire he won't drop much farther than that.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Encaen said:
I still can't believe that Dismember goes for $3.50. It's Uncommon! In any case, that's definitely a fair inclusion here(or practically any deck for that matter) though I'm hesitant to swap out my Dispatches for it. Maybe I could make this a true Scars Block deck and swap out the O-Rings and a couple of Sunchasers for a playset of Dismember.

I may have to test out the Shrine and see how that works out. I'd be mostly worried that I'd be taking a turn off to cast it. Though, I suppose as Metalcraft goes, there's nothing like an army of Myrs to make sure it's always online, and it does provide some great resilience against Wrath effects.

Thanks!
I think the reason dismember goes so highly is because it's used in almost every format. An extremely efficient removal spell that can be used in any color is more than playable, and demand keeps the price up (it was once around $5...)

As for Shrine, don't think of it as using a turn to pop it. You're playing an aggro deck with no real draw power, so you're going to be going into topdeck mode at some point, and the shrine keeps up your gas. Also, as long as you keep the mana open to pop it, your opponent can't really wrath for value and if they're open at the end of their turn, you can pop it to swing in for the kill. Think of it as Shrine of Burning Rage for metalcraft aggro decks.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Encaen said:
Unburial Rites [http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/magic_single_card.asp?cn=Drogskol%20Reaver&sn=Dark%20Ascension]. Hmmm...
Reaver isn't going to see play until October when he'll become the finisher of choice for U/W U/W/B control as right now if I'm going to revive something 9 times out of 10 it's going to be a Titan or Elesh Norn but seeing as both the Titan's and Norn rotate out come Sept/Oct as they're not reprinting them in M13 I'd pick up 3-4 for myself in March or so when they're a $3 mythic and laugh my way to the bank with any spares come later on in the year. To be fair you really want 4 of most things from the set as just in case they become playable during their time in standard as after May they are going to become hard to find and the price will go up exponentially.

ZeZZZZevy said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
In other news this guy
To my utter confusion. Currently he has no deck (in my opinion) because he's an offense-based BW planeswalker, something neither solar flare nor esper really wants. He is really cool though, so I certainly wouldn't be unhappy to open him.
See my post above for a take on WGb token's using him and the extra black sources for more control in the board. With the aggro decks around his +1 ability is something that Flare/Esper control would appreciate quite a bit as it helps them recover once they've stabilised the board much like Elspeth, Knight Errant did a few years ago and these tokens are better.

edit: He also has an amazing psychological effect on players when used in control decks. They won't play their own walkers/massive threats unless they've got hexproof or can be sure that they can blow Sorin up before he can use his ultimate and steal them giving you a tempo advantage that is very tasty.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
The fact that emblems are untouchable by anything that doesn't say "destroy target permanent" means that even if he just drops the emblem and pops, the deck has a good advantage. I don't think he'll stay at $55. Maybe $30. Sorin will be in the Solar Flare deck, but that's about it, unless Dark Ascension gives us more worthy B/W cards. Give us a way to synergize the deck!

More people used Garruk because of his "I have a Titan, draw 6 please" button, which is fairly crazy.
Emblems actually exist outside of the game and can't be touched by anything so he in effect creates permanent anthems
113. Emblems
113.1. Some effects put emblems into the command zone. An emblem is a marker used to represent an object that has one or more abilities, but no other characteristics.
113.2. An effect that creates an emblem is written "[Player] gets an emblem with [ability]." This means that [player] puts an emblem with [ability] into the command zone. The emblem is both owned and controlled by that player.
113.3. An emblem has no characteristics other than the abilities defined by the effect that created it. In particular, an emblem has no name, no types, no mana cost, no color, and no expansion symbol.
113.4. Abilities of emblems function in the command zone.
113.5. An emblem is neither a card nor a permanent. Emblem isn't a card type.

See my Token deck for an example where you use Sorin but yeah i'd want to play BW human/vampire for the sheer fun of it. I could probably throw together a superfriends deck with what we know so far too but the mana base would be pretty janky

A. Smith

Jan 10, 2011
Sorin made my jaw drop. I mean, I play U/R Delver, but Sorin makes me wish I played W/B (or Esper). He's CRAZY. Any deck that generates tokens wants him.

Also, Check this page [http://mtgsalvation.com/dark-ascension-spoiler.html] out for a comprehensive list of the Dark Ascension spoilers. Just like for Innistrad, there's tons of super-flavourful cards. Just check out Jar of Eyeballs [http://mtgsalvation.com/dark-ascension-spoiler.html#5682]. You're using the eyeballs of your dead creatures to look into the future. Holy shit.

I mean, the card isn't very good, but the flavour...

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
See my post above for a take on WGb token's using him and the extra black sources for more control in the board. With the aggro decks around his +1 ability is something that Flare/Esper control would appreciate quite a bit as it helps them recover once they've stabilised the board much like Elspeth, Knight Errant did a few years ago and these tokens are better.

edit: He also has an amazing psychological effect on players when used in control decks. They won't play their own walkers/massive threats unless they've got hexproof or can be sure that they can blow Sorin up before he can use his ultimate and steal them giving you a tempo advantage that is very tasty.
I didn't mean you couldn't make a deck to use him, I just meant that there is no current "established" deck that would cause the price to spike as high as Liliana's preorder price (when she was spoiled along with unburial rights people were excited to see Solar Flare return). As for his applications, I feel like Timely Reinforcements just does a better job for stabilizing the board, and can even be recast with Snapcaster Mage. As for winning the game, he doesn't do enough by himself to present that much of a threat. His ultimate is scary, but he needs to go unmolested for a full 3 turns before it can even go off, and the 1/1s he makes aren't enough to do much other than chump a non-moorland haunt creature.

He just seems much better suited to an aggro deck (like the one you presented) since the current b/w control decks just have better options (in my opinion). He's a very solid planeswalker, but he doesn't look like he'd stabilize the board at all and the 1/1 lifelinkers he spits out just don't do enough immediately to really replace Timely Reinforcements.

Of course this is all pure speculation, he might work way better in practice than I'm currently envisioning, which I would be really happy with. Personally I think he's an awesome planeswalker with 3 really cool abilities.

Salrius

May 21, 2008
It seems like the only way you could get a turn three double striking Edgewright with the Piston sledge equipped is

1) Plains, Memnite, (Memnite, Signal Pest, or Vault Skirge)
2) Plains, Edgewright, (Memnite, Signal Pest, or Vault Skirge)
3) Plains, Piston Sledge, sacrifice an artifact to equip and swing

Basicly you need to be up to four artifacts on board by turn three, which would have an above average difficulty to begin with, not to mention that all of the artifacts involved other than Piston Sledge are creatures, and therefore susceptible to removal spells.