Build Your Own Regal Theater in Dream City: Metropolis

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Build Your Own Regal Theater in Dream City: Metropolis

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1333/1333390.jpgA new mobile city building game from Storm8 will let you build your own city, including an in-game Regal theater where you can watch content.

Next month, Storm8 is launching a new mobile city building game titled Dream City: Metropolis. It will mark the entrance of Regal Cinemas into the world of gaming, as they have partnered with Storm8. In the game, players will be able to build their own Regal, and will later be able to watch branded content in exchange for in-game rewards.

Players will take over a town constructed by the great railroad tycoon, Old Man Chesterfield. The city has fallen into ruin since the old man disappeared under mysterious circumstances, and the player will have to rebuild it. To do this, the game will let players build what they want, where they want, and will have a cast of diverse characters.

Dream City: Metropolis will launch on iOS and Android on July 7.

Tatsuki

Nov 9, 2014
This article is an absolute masterclass in how to make writing look like an advert.

The entire bulk of the text boils down to "look here's a thing". If you want us to click links, or play games that sponsor the site could we at least get some actual information. (And don't get me wrong, I put it off for ages but I actually love mobile gaming and even SimCity Buildit is something I regularly look back in on.)

Dream City: Metropolis. It will mark the entrance of Regal Cinemas into the world of gaming...
Will it? Cursory google searching just leads me to games potentially giving away free tickets or being linked to the cinema chain giving warcraft away with the movie. How are they entering the world of gaming as such?

In the game, players will be able to build their own Regal, and will later be able to watch branded content in exchange for in-game rewards.
So instead of watching ads for in game currency, we get to watch adds inside a building which is an add in itself. Addception.

Players will take over a town constructed by the great railroad tycoon, Old Man Chesterfield. The city has fallen into ruin since the old man disappeared under mysterious circumstances, and the player will have to rebuild it.
This is the plot of just about every city building game, by some act of god you are in power now do the job they should have done.

To do this, the game will let players build what they want, where they want, and will have a cast of diverse characters.
So you build things and there are people.

What are the goals, what are the people for, what can I do other than just plonk down buildings. The video somehow manages to give even less information.

I have the habit of reading almost any advert / article / upload to this site but things like this are just such non entities, which I realise says more about me than anything but it bugs me when a post just offers absolutely nothing.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
josemlopes said:
Yeeaaahhh, kinda got that feeling as well. I don't recall seeing many of these... Ad things. Whatever is needed to stay afloat these days though, right?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
So has the cinema industry gotten desperate enough that one of the industry leaders needs to remind people they exist through mobile games? I can't wait[footnote]mostly because I haven't laugh maniacally is a long time[/footnote] for AMC to respond by making a mobile game focused on running movie theaters and cramming ads down the players' customers' throats (while the players are also fed corporate propaganda).

[small]Actualy, AMC could tie a game into their stupid rewards program and make money off of ads using people's game addictions and desire to find "the best deals." (...Huh, maybe I should become a greedy businessman.)[/small]

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
OK, this is very disappointing. "Advertorial" content should at least be clearly marked as such. The Escapist should be better than this.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Tatsuki said:
This article is an absolute masterclass in how to make writing look like an advert.

The entire bulk of the text boils down to "look here's a thing". If you want us to click links, or play games that sponsor the site could we at least get some actual information. (And don't get me wrong, I put it off for ages but I actually love mobile gaming and even SimCity Buildit is something I regularly look back in on.)

Dream City: Metropolis. It will mark the entrance of Regal Cinemas into the world of gaming...
Will it? Cursory google searching just leads me to games potentially giving away free tickets or being linked to the cinema chain giving warcraft away with the movie. How are they entering the world of gaming as such?

In the game, players will be able to build their own Regal, and will later be able to watch branded content in exchange for in-game rewards.
So instead of watching ads for in game currency, we get to watch adds inside a building which is an add in itself. Addception.

Players will take over a town constructed by the great railroad tycoon, Old Man Chesterfield. The city has fallen into ruin since the old man disappeared under mysterious circumstances, and the player will have to rebuild it.
This is the plot of just about every city building game, by some act of god you are in power now do the job they should have done.

To do this, the game will let players build what they want, where they want, and will have a cast of diverse characters.
So you build things and there are people.

What are the goals, what are the people for, what can I do other than just plonk down buildings. The video somehow manages to give even less information.

I have the habit of reading almost any advert / article / upload to this site but things like this are just such non entities, which I realise says more about me than anything but it bugs me when a post just offers absolutely nothing.
Yeps. Completely agree.

StatusNil said:
OK, this is very disappointing. "Advertorial" content should at least be clearly marked as such. The Escapist should be better than this.
Quoted for truth.