Bulgarian City Councilor Fired Over FarmVille

Dobrev

Mar 25, 2009
As a Bulagarian (even if not from that town) I'm rarely surprised by the rediculous stuff our government and political leaders do. But to see something like this reach international notority is just mindnumbing. It is just sad, real sad.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
Seriously, I wonder how the European Union hasn't kicked us out yet. Corruption is everywhere in our government, the minimal and average wage are worse than those in many third world countries and all the government is doing is lying to the EU about doing something to rectify the situation...
As for Plovdiv, one of the oldest cities in Europe, it is steadily becoming uglier(you should see some of the new buildings and "statues") and more congested(a new 6 lane road becoming 2 lanes because of a block of flats approved with the help of a large sum of money) thanks to the City Council...
P.S. I love my country, but if things don't change I will leave it forever!
P.P.S. No, we can't do anything about it, all parties stem from the communist party of old and they have all the money. The government was booted out once in recent years, but since all the parties are the same nothing major happened(there was an improvement, though- it's one thing to steal, quite another to steal and be completely incompetent).

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I would fire both Dimitar Kerin and Daniela Zhelyazkova for playing FarmVille during council meetings. If they would rather play FarmVille than try and help their city than they deserved to be fired.

Doing your job as a city councilman is much more important than a video game.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Harvest Moon would DESTROY the government!
Damn near destroyed my life for a time. I must go back and finish that game... When I have time for an addiction. It was too hard to drag myself away, I don't think I could do it again.

Lord Nosferatu

The Prophet of Thrace
Nov 11, 2009
I'm also from Bulgaria, though not from Plovdiv, and this kinda makes me feel ashamed. Still, it's true. Here's the actual photo, that got him in trouble: http://dariknews.bg/uploads/news_images/201003/photo_verybig_499602.jpg
That's him again, with skype - http://i.id24.bg//i/151642.jpg

He didn't even attempt an apology, instead kept on going about how other people should be fired too for reasons like "didn't file a certain report last year". I don't know why he's not completely fired yet, but on the other hand, as a result, skype and social networking sites are blocked in quite a few ministries. About time. But it's sad that government officials have the discipline of high school kids.

Oh, and to be precise, Plovdiv is actually the sixth oldest city in the world, according to The Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/6242644/The-worlds-oldest-cities.html?image=12

BlueTomfoolery

Dec 3, 2008
dogstile said:
BUT SIR! SIR! I WASN'T THE ONLY ONE! DANIELA WAS DOING IT TOO!
No buts. I'm deducting your pay. Now, go to your cubicle and don't come back untill you understood what you've done.

_Nocturnal

Nov 4, 2006
Okay, that politician is dumb as hell, though he's not that different from others, who were solving crosswords and such at the same time. That's kind of sad for my country.
On a more positive note, what it shows is that even dumb as hell politicians from Bulgaria play video games now. Which is a good thing! I imagine it would be harder to pass idiotic anti-game laws that way.

Also, nice to see other people from my country on the Escapist. Hey, guys!

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
gof22 said:
I would fire both Dimitar Kerin and Daniela Zhelyazkova for playing FarmVille during council meetings. If they would rather play FarmVille than try and help their city than they deserved to be fired.

Doing your job as a city councilman is much more important than a video game.
I would agree with you, if it wasn't for the fact that Farmville isn't a video-game. It's a plague. That eats souls. So they shouldn't be fired, they should be quarantined. In lava.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
dududf said:
sunpop said:
dududf said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
dududf said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
It's not even that addictive...Shit. Give them Harvest Moon.

It's better by miles. And has depth.

Viva le Revolucion?
OMELET DU FROMAGE!

Quick! You get the the Game boy colours, and I'll get the Harvest moon!
Like hell I'm giving up my old harvest moon and gbc to some fat cats!
BUT IT'S FOR THE REVOLUCION! Do it for your country, your fellow man, for your Honour.
Bu but I just got the pond..

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
sunpop said:
dududf said:
sunpop said:
dududf said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
dududf said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Viva le Revolucion?
OMELET DU FROMAGE!

BUT IT'S FOR THE REVOLUCION! Do it for your country, your fellow man, for your Honour.
Screw the pond man! If we are successful, I'll give you a god damn LAKE.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I would have fired his ass to! Not just because of misconduct at work, just a personal hatred of FarmVille.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Does no one have a problem with the fact that city council members are playing games during meetings? ... regardless of what game it is, what level was acheived. What the hell are they doing playing video games? They are supposed to be working for the city. My boss would fire me in a heartbeat if I was playing games at work, let alone during a meeting. How do these people get away with this?

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
I heard of a RUMOR that facebook will charge for their services. Is there any truth to this? While I do enjoy checking up with friends on facebook, that will cut down game time of Farmville and Mafia Wars. And Zynga would lose the March Madness next year.

Jul 9, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

Agreed. The N64 version was my childhood. So fucking addictive.

El_Moss

Jul 21, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
So maybe the problem here isn't that Kerin is playing too much FarmVille. Maybe he got fired because he sucks.
I have to say I found this incredibly funny. :)

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
dududf said:
sunpop said:
dududf said:
sunpop said:
dududf said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
dududf said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Viva le Revolucion?
OMELET DU FROMAGE!

Screw the pond man! If we are successful, I'll give you a god damn LAKE.
But my duckies..