Bulletstorm Trailer Kicks Us Into an Exploding Cactus

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Bulletstorm Trailer Kicks Us Into an Exploding Cactus

EA and Epic Games have released the first trailer for Bulletstorm, an insane but skillful first-person shooter.

announced [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77658] last month, but now we have a chance to finally see it in action. The game's first trailer shows that it may fulfill the promise of insane guns and "kill with skill" gameplay.

Already revealed were main characters Grayson Hunt and Ishi Sato, but there appears to be a new female character thrown into the mix as well. Gameplay looks like a combination of blasting, shooting, and a seemingly important kick move. Another notable feature looks like an electric leash on the player's left hand. The "kill with skill" part will award players upgrade points for killing in various ways, that we now see are labeled as "Fertilizer," "Fourth of July," "Overkill," "Bad Touch," and more.

The game takes place on planet Stygia, which is obviously a dangerous place. Plants straight up eat dudes and giant cacti are all over to accidentally prick your finger on. Hunt, Sato, and the unnamed girl have to make their way off Stygia to get revenge on the people that put them there.

Bulletstorm sounded pretty cool, but this trailer makes it look really cool. Doing combos in a first person shooter doesn't seem like it'd be that easy to pull off, but with the kick and leash abilities People Can Fly may have found a solid way to do it. It reminds me of Zeno Clash [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100349-Bizarre-Indie-Brawler-Zeno-Clash-Hits-XBLA-Next-Week] melded with something like Quake or Unreal Tournament. Unfortunately, it's not expected until 2011, on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Before anybody can make the joke:

Where are the guns that shoot lightening and shurikens?

Now that that lame joke's out of the way, let me just say this, Game looks awsome, Sorta remindes me of Serious Sam and Borderlands in the way it looks.

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
Sir Kemper said:
Before anybody can make the joke:

Where are the guns that shoot lightening and shurikens?

Now that that lame joke's out of the way, let me just say this, Game looks awsome, Sorta remindes me of Serious Sam and Borderlands in the way it looks.
Yeah, I would have thought they would have improved it in this spiritual sequel by adding tits and setting it on fire!

OT: That game must have some of the most awesome points names ever. I giggled at "Bad Touch".

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
I'm not sure, but I think this game is going to have a loooooooooot of repetitiveness to it.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
It was from People Can Fly, it was bound to be absolutely mental with stupid guns.

Who's gonna complain?

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Whoa... that was just... awesome!

Definitely something I'd be interested in. I'd must check more of this game out in the latter months.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I had never heard of this and now I feel ashamed.

I like what I see!

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
blue_guy said:
Ekonk said:
I'm not sure, but I think this game is going to have a loooooooooot of repetitiveness to it.
Painkiller did too to be honest. This looks less repetetive though.

Anyway this looks pretty awesome, especially all this "Skill-shot" combo stuff.
Yeah, I know. That could be awesome, but also repetitive if not mixed with different types of enemies, settings, environmental hazards/conditions, weapons, et cetera. And so far the only things I've seen are guys with guns as enemies, a deserted paradise-town as a setting, and cactusses as environmental hazards. And of course the exploding barrels. If that's all than it is going to get boring very quickly. Then again, it's just a short trailer.

Junkle

in the trunkle.
Oct 26, 2009
Looks a lot like Bioshock and Borderlands.

Should be fun though, considering the whole "abandoned paradise" thing.
And simply thinking of different ways to kill people should be entertaining for a while.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
That is very good. We're finally gonna have something else than so-called "realism" in our shooters. And that does look a whole lot like Borderlands.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Shurikens and Lighting, Very Very Frightening!

These guys proved with Painkiller that they can make an incredibly ridiculous and fun over-the-top shooter. Here's hoping they keep that up with this game.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
So apparently this looks like Borderlands which looked like Fallout 3 which looked like enough with the comparisons already

That said I was interested by this game when I read the feature on it in Game Informer; seeing it in action makes me want to buy it as soon as it comes out.