Bumble temporarily removes political affiliation filter after activists start using it to try and gain evidence against Trump supporters

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Well I thought people might enjoy something weird and a bit more silly.

I would add this to the list thread but seriously this just seems to silly and potentially funnier going forward.

• The dating app Bumble has temporarily removed its political-identification filter to prevent "misuse."
  • The move came after women tweeted about using the filter to find conservatives who took part in the Capitol breach and passing on evidence to law enforcement.
  • Users started to notice the political filter had been removed on Thursday, and people on Twitter criticized Bumble as appearing to protect the insurrectionists.
  • Bumble added that it removed the accounts of people who had been "confirmed as participants in the attack of the US Capitol."
Wonder how this will go down for Bumble. I mean it's often been seen as a liberal favoured dating app but now they're being seen as trying to protect Trump supporters and not just Trump supporters those who took part in criminal action......

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Bumble is liberal favoured? Since when? Why?

I think I know where this is going, but I still want to hear you explicitly say it.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Bumble is liberal favoured? Since when? Why?

I think I know where this is going, but I still want to hear you explicitly say it.
Became popular in big cities first.
Is seen as more of a modern dating app thing.
Vaguely spiritual but non denominational ethos to it.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Those are the vaguest liberal identifiers I have ever heard. Gained popularity in population centers? Is modern?

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Those are the vaguest liberal identifiers I have ever heard. Gained popularity in population centers? Is modern?

:unsure::unsure::unsure:
Yup.

Young people are notably more liberal than the US average, and metropolitan dwellers are notably more liberal than the US average, therefore an app primarily used by young, metropolitan people is incredibly obviously likely to have a user base that leans liberal. This is not the same as it being "liberal favoured", which implies people join it because they are liberal.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Well lets say very metropolitan areas
Holy shit, an app gained popularity in locations where the majority of the population live? Who ever would have guessed that was possible?

Next you'll say that economic activity is a sign of liberalism because cities are the economic drivers of industrialized nations.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Yup.

Young people are notably more liberal than the US average, and metropolitan dwellers are notably more liberal than the US average, therefore an app primarily used by young, metropolitan people is incredibly obviously likely to have a user base that leans liberal. This is not the same as it being "liberal favoured", which implies people join it because they are liberal.
No it implies they'll join it because they're more likely to find some-one sharing their values.

Holy shit, an app gained popularity in locations where the majority of the population live? Who ever would have guessed that was possible?

Next you'll say that economic activity is a sign of liberalism because cities are the economic drivers of industrialized nations.

I mean it's also an app where men aren't allowed to message women from what I remember you can only message if a woman message you first and claims it will stop harassment and unwanted approaches

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
There we go, he got to his point about bumble being a platform where women have control over the initial interaction.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
There we go, he got to his point about bumble being a platform where women have control over the initial interaction.
Also because it allows far more political position filtering.

Also on other platforms control over interactions is equal.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Became popular in big cities first.
Is seen as more of a modern dating app thing.
Vaguely spiritual but non denominational ethos to it.
How many apps get popular first outside big cities?

Unfortunately, letting some men starting the inital interraction just led to dickpickpalooza

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Also on other platforms control over interactions is equal.
Given that dating apps are notorious for harassment and unwanted dick pics, if you have a problem over the bumble model of interaction control, I'm going to have to assume you're an unwanted dick pic sender.

After all, any reasonable person can easily identify the cause of the app's structuring, and the merit of doing so. Only a bad faith user would have issues with the concession.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
How many apps get popular first outside big cities?

Unfortunately, letting some men starting the inital interraction just led to dickpickpalooza
Well other platforms only let you talk once you've matched.

Bumble does the same from my understanding but also on top of that only the woman can initiate contact even after you've matched.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Given that dating apps are notorious for harassment and unwanted dick pics, if you have a problem over the bumble model of interaction control, I'm going to have to assume you're an unwanted dick pic sender.

After all, any reasonable person can easily identify the cause of the app's structuring, and the merit of doing so. Only a bad faith user would have issues with the concession.
I dunno the pictures of Richard Nixon or Dominic Wood and his comedy partner seem to go down quite well in my experience lol.

It's not my fault you can't get creative.

Oh and BTW I say this as some-one who has been sent dick pics on dating apps by idiots who can't read lol morons are perfectly capable of being morons to everyone. Also having moderated stuff on a certain dating app. I'll just say I've seen it go both ways a lot more than you'd think.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I dunno the pictures of Richard Nixon or Dominic Wood and his comedy partner seem to go down quite well in my experience lol.

It's not my fault you can't get creative.

Oh and BTW I say this as some-one who has been sent dick pics on dating apps by idiots who can't read lol morons are perfectly capable of being morons to everyone. Also having moderated stuff on a certain dating app. I'll just say I've seen it go both ways a lot more than you'd think.
Okay Mr unwanted dick pic sender.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
When two gay guys match on Bumble, who gets to chat first? Do they need a woman to introduce them?

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
When two gay guys match on Bumble, who gets to chat first? Do they need a woman to introduce them?
"If matches are same-sex, either person can start a conversation. So Bumble works for gay guys and girls just like any other dating app"

Like, 10 seconds of googling, you're not funny.

Reactions: Buyetyen