Bumhug Parade #5

Lysgaard

Feb 26, 2010
Bumhug Parade #5

Follow your bliss, people. It's the only way to truly be happy.

Read Full Article

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
A strangely attractive comic, this one. Not exactly laugh-out-loud funny, but funny in an surreal, absurdist fashion. A little hit-and-miss, but it's got truckloads more style and personality than some other comics I've seen.

Meemaimoh

Aug 20, 2009
I feel like there's something I'm not getting. Is this supposed to be making fun of transgendered people, or is it just meant to be absurd?

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Was there a reson on why their heads changed colors?

Other than that, the art style of this comic reminds me of a painting.

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
I'm not sure if this is offensive (aimed at making fun of transgendered people), or just not funny. I'm really hoping that it's the latter, as this comic was (theoretically) given the green light by the escapist. If I'm missing something, please feel free to fill me in on this.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Very intresting art style, and, I liked how it was done...but, as for the punchline...I, think it went over my head

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
It's more poking fun at all forms of physical modification, Dragontiers. We're at a point now where you can, quite literally, change anything physical about yourself. Unhappy with your skin colour? Easily remedied. Feel more fulfilled as the other gender? No problem. Want larger breasts/smaller breasts/batwings/cat eyes with whiskers/longer legs/etc? You got it.

And what's hilarious is that no matter what a person changes about himself, no matter how grotesque it might be, when he meets his friends later, the reaction will almost invariably be "Cool."

Followed by "Why the hell did you do that?"

An excellent cartoon, Lysgaard. Thank you.

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
Living Contradiction said:
It's more poking fun at all forms of physical modification, Dragontiers. We're at a point now where you can, quite literally, change anything physical about yourself. Unhappy with your skin colour? Easily remedied. Feel more fulfilled as the other gender? No problem. Want larger breasts/smaller breasts/batwings/cat eyes with whiskers/longer legs/etc? You got it.

And what's hilarious is that no matter what a person changes about himself, no matter how grotesque it might be, when he meets his friends later, the reaction will almost invariably be "Cool."

That's fine. It just seemed like the punch-line ("I've always felt like a man with a dinosaur head, trapped inside the body of a man with a human head") seemed like a direct jab at the transgendered community. Or that could just be me reading too much into it.

Shihoudani

Oct 3, 2009
dragontiers said:
Living Contradiction said:

That's fine. It just seemed like the punch-line ("I've always felt like a man with a dinosaur head, trapped inside the body of a man with a human head") seemed like a direct jab at the transgendered community. Or that could just be me reading too much into it.
Reading too much into it, hehe.

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
I hope the aim of this comic was simply to create an atmosphere of surrealism, rather than send a somewhat offensive and intolerant message about transgender people.

Because you could definitely read some biased undercurrents in this.

dragontiers said:
It just seemed like the punch-line ("I've always felt like a man with a dinosaur head, trapped inside the body of a man with a human head") seemed like a direct jab at the transgendered community.
This. But uh, the artwork was nice.

Hicerion

May 4, 2010
These Bumhug comics just aren't funny. I've read all five of them that have been posted so far and none of them gave me even a smirk, let alone a chuckle or laugh. But that kinda goes for Paused as well.

Name Game just has the same recycled video game jokes I've seen across most gaming comics.

The Escapist Radio Theater does show some promise, but seems like a slow starter.