Bundle of Holding Brings Pay-What-You-Want to eBooks

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Bundle of Holding Brings Pay-What-You-Want to eBooks

The Bundle of Holding offers up to nine fantasy ebooks in a pay-what-you-bundle in support of a couple of very worthy charities.

Here's a pay-what-you-want bundle for gamers who like to do the "reading" thing once in awhile: The Bundle of Holding, a collection of nine ebooks written by the designers of some very well-known tabletop RPGs and a videogame or two. Some, like Chuck Wendig, are established authors, while for others, like Rainbow Six: Lockdown writer Rafael Chandler, this is a first-time venture into the world of novel writing.

Here's how it works: You pay whatever you want for full, DRM-free copies of Fable of the Swan by Jenna Moran, Hexcommunicated by Rafael Chandler, Hero Worship by Derek Pearcy, Birth of the Dread Remora by Aaron Rosenberg, Irregular Creatures by Chuck Wendig and Tournament of Death by Stephen D. Sullivan. If you come across with more than the average purchase price, currently sitting at a little shy of $16, you'll also get three bonus books: Hard Times in Dragon City by Matt Forbeck, Mindjammer by Sarah Newton and Playing For Keeps by Mur Lafferty.

Like certain other bundles you may be more familiar with, the Bundle of Holding allows buyers to divide their payments between the authors, the Bundle folks and two charities, the ever-worthy Child's Play and Reading is Fundamental, perhaps better known as RIF, which works to bring the joy of reading to kids.

All the ebooks come in Kindle, ePub and PDF formats, and as mentioned are DRM-free. So, groovy fantasy tales and a solid for charity, all at whatever price you want to pay - what's not to like? And hey, a little bit of reading never hurt anyone. Get all the details at bundleofholding.com [http://www.bundleofholding.com/index/current].

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Awesome I couldn't afford much but the Birth of the Dread Remora looks like a book I could really get into.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Damn, some of those covers are fucked up, no wonder they are eBooks.

I kid, but they should have gone for some more minimalistic covers instead of weird 3D characters

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
So can anyone recommend (or anti-recommend) any of these authors or books? Because I don't recognize any of them, and for a SF/F buff like me, that's saying something. Something bad.

So although my first suspicion is that this bundle would be a waste of money at nearly any price, I admit the possibility that I might be wrong. I'm happy to reward quality literature with my hard-earned dollars, but I hate to reward drek (which, IMHO, the SF/F fields have too much of already). Can anyone confirm or deny my suspicions?

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
A buck to start building up a nice ebook library? Nice, hope to see more of these in the future.

Captcha: It is different

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I guess I'm not as much of a reader as I'd like to be, I still haven't fished my first Humble eBook bundle book form a while ago. Maybe if I had something to read it on other than my laptop, but I'm just not reading them.

Daniel Ferguson

Apr 3, 2010
Chuck Wendig is awesome. For Bearding The Fuck On. And doing writers' rules lists with heaps of profanity. Definitely for fans of John Dies At The End.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
The_Great_Galendo said:
So can anyone recommend (or anti-recommend) any of these authors or books? Because I don't recognize any of them, and for a SF/F buff like me, that's saying something. Something bad.

So although my first suspicion is that this bundle would be a waste of money at nearly any price, I admit the possibility that I might be wrong. I'm happy to reward quality literature with my hard-earned dollars, but I hate to reward drek (which, IMHO, the SF/F fields have too much of already). Can anyone confirm or deny my suspicions?
It does say that only two of the authors have actually had novels published previously, and the rest are from people who used to work on tabletop RPGs. However, Chuck Wendig I have heard of, and he seems pretty well regarded. I haven't read his nonfiction books, but his blog is quite good and as are his writing advice books. One of his novels, Blackbirds, has a 4.5 star rating on the UK Amazon, if that helps.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
drisky said:
I guess I'm not as much of a reader as I'd like to be, I still haven't fished my first Humble eBook bundle book form a while ago. Maybe if I had something to read it on other than my laptop, but I'm just not reading them.
I picked up that one too, which had a much better selection than this does, and I also haven't made it through all the ones I wanted to yet. It really doesn't help that I kind of got sidetracked by reading the rest of the books in the Old Man's War series after reading the first one, which was part of the bundle. That was half of why I got it in the first place, because I'd been meaning to read it for years.

I've actually been reading them on my desktop, of all things. It works out fine for me though, because I have a big monitor mounted on an arm that I can swing around to the side so it's facing my bed instead of my desk. If I blow the pages up to full screen and scroll through it with a wireless mouse or something, I can lay down in bed and read a book that's floating above me on a giant, glowing screen. Heh.