Bungie Composer Says Leaving Halo Was "Kind of a Relief"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Bungie Composer Says Leaving Halo Was "Kind of a Relief"

Bungie composer Marty O'Donnell says that after a decade spent writing music for the Halo [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302654336&sr=8-1] games, it's actually kind of a relief to leave it all behind.

The Halo franchise quite literally made Bungie into a monster. It had success with earlier titles like Halo: Combat Evolved [http://www.amazon.com/Marathon-MAC/dp/B0009H73XG/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1302654416&sr=1-3] is what put the studio on the map and the increasingly popular sequels, adding up to a total of five games over ten years, made it one of the most famous and well-regarded developers in the business. But it was also a big weight to carry and while nobody leaves behind that kind of legacy without mixed feelings, O'Donnell doesn't sound too upset about moving on to other things.

The original, now iconic chanting that grew into the Halo theme was actually the result of a scramble to put together a tech demo that pre-dated even the Master Chief, he explained, but in spite of the rush the music was a hit with the rest of the team. "At that moment, that piece of music was for that show," he said. "It was, 'This is what Halo feels like for that show' and it was great that in the subsequent years I was able to pull themes and moods that were started right then."

But there was a downside, too. "The hard part I think was we almost peaked too soon," he continued. "For me, musically, I had this great theme. The monks were the iconic thing and there was a point where I thought, 'Should I come up with a new iconic theme for each one of the games or should I just try to build on that?' That was probably the most difficult thing... it still needed to sound like Halo for each one of the Halo titles."

O'Donnell was able to change things up for Halo Reach [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-3-ODST-Xbox-360/dp/B001HWB68K/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1302654581&sr=1-1] because they were new stories about new characters. Still, by the time Reach was done, Bungie was ready to move on. He described the feeling as "bittersweet" but added, "It's kind of a relief because from a creative standpoint it's great to just have an absolutely blank sheet of paper, but then on the other hand blank sheets of paper are scary to creative people. I'm not saying I have writer's block, but we'll see..."

Bungie split with parent company Microsoft in 2007 and currently may not [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108231-Bungie-Officially-Working-on-Massively-Multiplayer-Action-Game] be working on a brand-new MMO title for Activision.

Source: Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/halo-composer-walking-away-from-master-chief-is-a-relief/]

Apr 28, 2008
He did his best work with ODST. Seriously, that game's soundtrack is easily the best of the series.

Wonder what he'll do next...

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Irridium said:
He did his best work with ODST. Seriously, that game's soundtrack is easily the best of the series.

Everything he made was pure musical gold anyways.

He'll stay with bungie, but if 343 DO make more halo games, it won't be halo without Marty.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
I hope to see more from him, I guess. He did well with all of the Halo soundtracks, in my opinion.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Irridium said:

Yep, Ninja'd.

However much I love Halo and it's music, it;ll be nice for Marty to move on to pastures new. Can't wait to here what his next work will be!.... unless it sucks, in which case I'll be ranting about how he should never have left Halo [small]even if it wasn't really his choice[/small]

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Irridium said:

It's funny that someone should share this opinion. Because not only do I feel that way, but I currently have this running in my second tab:

[sub] Its a conspiracy...[/sub]

Aug 25, 2009
Brilliant composer, much better than videogames at the time deserved. I would probably go as far as saying he and other composers for videogames of that era are one of the reasons videogames are becoming more recognised as an art form ten years down the line. Having real music, by real composers, which actually sounded good, instead of like some kid fresh out of A Levels with a casio keyboard, was probably at the time the next big step games, particularly western games, needed to take.

But I can understand his relief as well. Ten years of anything is a long damn time. I hope he goes on to do more work in the VG industry though.

Shy_Guy

Apr 13, 2009
This man creates absolutely beautiful music. He deserves to try his hand at different types of games.

Honestly, I think Bungie in general moving away from Halo will be a very good thing. New fresh ideas, unconstrained by what people want/expect from the next Halo title. More innovation from a developer that has really changed console gaming immensely from it's debut. How could that be bad?

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
The music in Halo was the one thing that never seemed to get bland from game to game. Hell, I don't think I've ever seen a review criticizing it, even among the bad ones.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Well maybe now he can branch out and have more variety.

Myth was his best work in my opinion:

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
The Halo theme is, as far as I'm concerned, THE most iconic piece of music to come out of a video game in the last decade. So props to O'Donnell for that, and for switching things up a bit with Reach while still conceiving a score that sounds distinctly Halo-like.

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
This guy is a composing genius. In my mind he's up there with John Williams, Howard Shore, and the like.

If they make another halo game, he should not be left behind.

Thank you for all this beautiful music

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
... Bungie made Myth? THE Myth? I used to play that all the time with my older brother when I was little.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
Just gonna restate what's already ben said in here. His music really tied the series together atmospherically, and starting up Halo: CE just to hear the music on the main menu is enough to send me nostalgia chills.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I'm proud to say that I bought all the soundtracks of the Halo games, and they end up on my play lists a lot... thinking back, I wonder if I'd have become such a die-hard fan if it wasn't for Marty's (and Mike Salvatore's) music and sound design. It added so much to the games, and still astounds me. (Even the first game's sound is solid, and wouldn't sound out of place in a title today.)

-- Steve

Apr 28, 2008
Stabby Joe said:
Well maybe now he can branch out and have more variety.

Myth was his best work in my opinion:

Siege of Madrigal is easily my favorite track of his. Its just amazing.

Choppaduel said:
and Oni... everyone forgets about Oni
I still have the disk! Of course its scratched to hell though... and won't install...

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
All of the Halo soundtracks make up Marty's best work. "Greatest Journey" is my personal favorite Halo tune just because of the sound. If I had to pick a specific album, I'd say Marty did it best with the first game.

Beautiful, or what? Especially on a guitar.