Bungie Crafting Brand New Tech for Activision Series

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
Bungie Crafting Brand New Tech for Activision Series



Bungie is hoping to move onto bigger and better things at Activision, which will start with its own game engine built from the ground up.

Licensing game engines? Bungie scoffs at it. Now that at Activision [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284405641&sr=8-1], it's going to develop a custom game engine from scratch as the framework for its first project.

While some companies find it easier to license an engine and build on top of it, Bungie's Brian Jarrard told Develop that it's important to Bungie's independence to make everything its own. "I think it goes hand-in-hand with our independent spirit," he said. "Just like we don't want to develop a game off someone else's IP, we want to push our own technology in the same way. That's going to be our position for the foreseeable future."

Jarrard also revealed that the game's engine is already in development and that Bungie is able to kick it into high gear now that Halo: Reach is coming out tomorrow. "Yeah, [the new engine is] actually in development, so I would say it's in a stage where, technically we're still at the end of a pre-production mode," he continued. "But now that Reach is done the full weight of our team is rolling into the project. Real work is underway."

All that's left for fans, once they beat Halo: Reach, is to wait and see what Bungie comes up with using its own brand new technology and its own brand new IP. If Activision signed the studio for ten years, Bungie obviously has a big idea in the works. Whether it ends up being an action-RPG [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100423-Could-Bungies-New-IP-Be-an-Action-RPG] or a new first-person shooter, or both, or neither, I think we can all pretty much assume that it'll be awesome.

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/35837/Bungie-building-new-engine-for-Activision-project]

Permalink
 

Outlaw Torn

New member
Dec 24, 2008
715
0
0
"Independence at Activision" HAHAHAHA, good one!

Even though I won't buy it, it will be interesting to see whether Bungie can actually make a new game. Maybe "Giant Space Ring", a gritty and realistic shooter about space marines that is both cinematic and compelling. Or "Angel's Headwear" a shooter that is realistic and gritty, featuring space combat with marines with compelling cinematic gameplay.
 

icyneesan

New member
Feb 28, 2010
1,881
0
0
Independence at Activison... Riiiiiiight...

Oh well, lets hope their engine doesn't fail ;3
 

Cabisco

New member
May 7, 2009
2,433
0
0
icyneesan said:
Independence at Activison... Riiiiiiight...
Outlaw Torn said:
"Independence at Activision" HAHAHAHA, good one!
Straying Bullet said:
Just don't let your soul somehow get sucked by Activision despite your 'independence'.
I'm liking how the first three comments all touch on how I feel about this. Independance you say? Activision? Really?

Though i'm sure the relationship will start well, who knows what can happen in ten years of being in a contract with activision.
 

Danpascooch

Zombie Specialist
Apr 16, 2009
5,231
0
0
I hate to see them get eaten by Activision, but still, I love the idea of a new engine, the more companies making innovative engines from the ground up, the better.
 

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
1,604
0
41
Outlaw Torn said:
"Independence at Activision" HAHAHAHA, good one!

Even though I won't buy it, it will be interesting to see whether Bungie can actually make a new game. Maybe "Giant Space Ring", a gritty and realistic shooter about space marines that is both cinematic and compelling. Or "Angel's Headwear" a shooter that is realistic and gritty, featuring space combat with marines with compelling cinematic gameplay.
Can i just ask when Halo has ever been gritty or realistic?
 

DazBurger

New member
May 22, 2009
1,339
0
0
icyneesan said:
Independence at Activison... Riiiiiiight...

Oh well, lets hope their engine doesn't fail ;3
Im not worried. Bungie have made a special deal with Acti, so all new IP's made by Bungie, belongs to Bungie.

That makes it impossible for Acti to pull a stunt like the one with IW.

This plan is to find on Bungie's own site.
The Bungie Creed
7 Steps to World Domination.

Start independent gaming software company.
Dominate Mac platform: Launch assault on Windows platform.
Announce killer gaming title.
Acquire strangely addictive Chinese food company.
Recover Ling Ling's head.
Stage bloody coup of new parent company.
Take over World. Shoot enemies into sun with giant slingshot.



http://www.bungie.net/Inside/jobs.aspx
At the bottom of the page.

According to them, they are on step 6
 

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
5,265
0
0
Canid117 said:
I wonder if they are going to make another Marathon maybe?
Did you not read? Brand NEW IP

And im interested to see what they will make, I hope a Big World RPG (Like Fallout is) because they are my favourite type of game, and it will be interesting to see what they would do with the world.

But even if it isn't that, i have 99.9% support in Bungie to deliver =D
 

greenflash

New member
Jul 13, 2010
334
0
0
DazBurger said:
icyneesan said:
Independence at Activison... Riiiiiiight...

Oh well, lets hope their engine doesn't fail ;3
Im not worried. Bungie have made a special deal with Acti, so all new IP's made by Bungie, belongs to Bungie.

That makes it impossible for Acti to pull a stunt like the one with IW.

This plan is to find on Bungie's own site.
The Bungie Creed
7 Steps to World Domination.

Start independent gaming software company.
Dominate Mac platform: Launch assault on Windows platform.
Announce killer gaming title.
Acquire strangely addictive Chinese food company.
Recover Ling Ling's head.
Stage bloody coup of new parent company.
Take over World. Shoot enemies into sun with giant slingshot.



http://www.bungie.net/Inside/jobs.aspx
At the bottom of the page.

According to them, they are on step 6
say i have a gaint sling shot... but it can't shot people to the sun... WE REQUIRE MORE RUBBER BANDS!
 

Beryl77

New member
Mar 26, 2010
1,599
0
0
Poor Bungie. Activision has found a new prey which they will tear apart. Even if ther new engine and game will be good, I don't see this ending good for Bungie.
 

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
13,499
2,485
118
Gender
Whatever, just wash your hands.
I can see it now "modern warfare 4:please dont buy this so we dont have to make a 5"
the next hot game from bungie