Bungie Defends The Taken King's $40 Price Tag

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Is this guy joking when he talks about throwing money at the screen for emotes? Because I laughed pretty hard. Does this guy even game? I'm pretty sure he doesn't. Or he has some unique obsessions.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Bungie, I was with you since Pathway into Darkness, you were cool then - now you are shit and I don't give a dime for what you do.

EeviStev

Mar 2, 2011
Assuming for one hummingbird's scrotum-jiggling minute that the price turns out to be justified, why in hollering Hell is Bungie not disclosing what that $40 will actually buy you? What purpose does withholding that information serve? And does that purpose seem like a good idea next to pissing off their fan base?

Bungie is dumb and they should feel dumb.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
I don't understand how they are charging the equivalent of $63 in the UK.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
EeviStev said:
Assuming for one hummingbird's scrotum-jiggling minute that the price turns out to be justified, why in hollering Hell is Bungie not disclosing what that $40 will actually buy you? What purpose does withholding that information serve? And does that purpose seem like a good idea next to pissing off their fan base?

Bungie is dumb and they should feel dumb.
Thus far, 3 new subclasses, (an unknown) number of strikes and missions, a raid, and a new Patrol map/world on some sort of asteroid thing Oryx flew to Earth on. And new PvP modes and maps, though I was kind of confused if he meant they're in the expansion and being revealed in the coming weeks, or its an update in the coming weeks for the existing game.

Hazarding a guess that they'd some new Arena stuff in. They also have some sort of Raid that they delayed from House of Wolves, though thats a can of worms if they don't bring it out as a free update for people who bought that.

Granted, after the disaster that was Dark Below, they've done a lot better with House of Wolves. A couple of decent map chunks were added, boss spawns in patrol (though not randomized at all), the story actually had characters in it for more then a few seconds, and the Arena is a pretty fun romp (though the standard version is only level 28, with higher level versions being set weekly challenges, making the hop-in experience absolutely trivial for endgame people.) Most of the crazy levelling material hijinx is swept away, and you can turn any Legendary or Exotic into max level gear now, allowing you to actually get some differetation in builds and styles.

Phantom Renegade

Apr 15, 2009
Compare this with the ammount of content coming out for Guild Wars 2 in the Heart of Thorns expansion, that's some actual value right there, this is just Bungie milking its fanbase.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
"It's about value," he added, when pressed, "The player's assessment of the value of the content ... If I fired up a video right now and showed you the emotes you would throw money at the screen."
Excuse me while piss myself laughing. If he showed me his ovepriced tat i'd dick punch the guy

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
dragongit said:
and I am more then justified, into not buying this crap. I can buy several games like Fallout 4, and Phantom pain, then pay the equivalent of paying for destiny and it's expansions. I played the beta, I got bored, and I was told it gets worse.
I don't play Destiny. I lost interest when they explained their revenue model during the early days of the hype cycle. If I read the article correctly, I would be in the hole to the tune of $140 at this point if I bought the game and all the DLC, for what is essentially a pretty average multiplayer shooter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds like the absolute opposite of value. Bungie has turned into those asshats who design iPhone games that trick kids into spending thousands of their parents' dollars on Smurfberries.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
And people are still going to buy it. A few of their friends get it, and they'll buy it too to be able to play with them because it's "so awesome". I'm still happy I never bought into this game - I didn't like where Bungie has been headed. Funny thing is they've made enough money they're already working on Destiny 2 (this they have admitted with their path of progression for the Destiny trilogy).

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Quellist said:
"It's about value," he added, when pressed, "The player's assessment of the value of the content ... If I fired up a video right now and showed you the emotes you would throw money at the screen."
Excuse me while piss myself laughing. If he showed me his ovepriced tat i'd dick punch the guy
I know, right? I'm sure the 'dance emotes' are amusing, but I don't think they're "buy the more expensive version of a game I already own plus DLC" amusing. In fact, I think my depleted bank account would suck all the humour right out of that situation.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
WolvDragon said:
You might as well wait for the inevitable Goty edition with all DLC/expansions at this point, however if they have enough content to justify the 40 dollar price tag as they claim, then that's no big deal.
Watch them pull a Gearbox with Borderlands 2.
You have a point. Best to wait for Destiny: The Dinklesome Collection though. It'll contain the two emotes that weren't part of any expansions or previous GOTY editions.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ten Foot Bunny said:
You have a point. Best to wait for Destiny: The Dinklesome Collection though. It'll contain the two emotes that weren't part of any expansions or previous GOTY editions.
But you'll still have to buy the Ultimate Destiny upgrades separate, because....reasons.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
*sigh*

Shame that Destiny's expansions are all so absurdly expensive, and this one taking the cake. Borderlands offered more content per story DLC for a tenner.

Absolutely dickish move from Bungie.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Big fan of the game here. But seriously, their $60 game wasn't worth $60 so I have no faith that this expansion would be worth $40.

Hell, the only thing that has been worth the asking price so far was the last Expansion. The whole crota bit was absolute shit except for the raid.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Steven Bogos said:
Oh god, why? I hope this quote is immortalised on the internet forever. I really want to believe that was a joke.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
FirstNameLastName said:
Steven Bogos said:
Oh god, why? I hope this quote is immortalised on the internet forever. I really want to believe that was a joke.
This, one thousand times over. Just the entire concept alone of expecting people to jump out of their seats and get hyped over mere dance moves is either arrogance or ignorance beyond belief. Fuck, even Twitch emotes have more value than Destiny's, since at least there's fandom-pandering capability there (like bronies being able to spam Luna emotes everywhere or a fangirl of a streamer spamming said streamer's emotes in a similar fashion). What the hell does this guy think makes Destiny's emotes worth a damn, let alone worth enough to get people riled up to the point of metaphorical "throw money at screen" status? Fuck, even TF2's silly dances don't get that level of hype, and that's a game that makes all of it's money on useless cosmetic crap like that.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Bungie was arrogant from the beginning.
http://www.gamefront.com/destiny-not-for-pc-cause-no-one-plays-with-mouse-and-keyboard-bungie/