Bungie Hints at Reach DLC

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
TheGreatDirectorWatanbe said:
Please tell me there isn't a human being on earth who didn't see this coming, I mean have you seen how little there is to the game?

Also, I demand MOAR space battles!
It... it has more content than any other Halo game. : /

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Space battles online would OWN! They should do it like they did with Star Wars Battlefront 2, and have separate hangars and stuff. It could be added to Invasion, and you would have to make your way from carrier to carrier destroying each one in turn. Like, remove the core, destroy it, do again twice. I wouldn't mind that.

New maps, they could do more single player I suppose.

They COULD tell Jun's story after him and Halsey leave Noble Team, as it has been stated he doesn't die

New Invasion maps would be great though. I like them both, but something about Spire feels a bit off.

Also, BRING BACK GRIFBALL!

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Yeah, i'd like maps that wern't just "section off a part of the campaign and put in objectives steve, they'll never notice!"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Uber Waddles said:
Releasing DLC after a game has got some ground on it is never a bad thing. But there is NO way DLC would be done THIS early after the games release for it not to be on the disk we dropped $60-$150 for.

Even Infinity Ward didnt sink that low Bungie. I am disappointed. Remember when you had credability?
That's actually not true, if you know how software (especially games) are developed.

There is a point in time during a game's development at which a game is feature locked. Essentially, that means that the developers know everything they're going to put into a game; they cannot add anything else - if they were adding new things all the time, they'd never finish, right? So you now have an (admittedly small) pool of designers who aren't doing anything on the project. You can pay them to do nothing, you can have them start work on a new project, or you can fire them if you want to be a dick.

Next, there's a content lock. This is much further down the line, and it means that everything that exists is all there is. You aren't going to be implementing more levels, you aren't going to be implementing more enemies, you aren't going to be adding anything major; this is about making sure what exists works - and no new content will ever go on the disc. This is usually a few months (or less) before a game's release.

By this time, a lot of content that may have originally been planned will probably have been cut. Either there wasn't enough time to finish it, or it existed and just wasn't any good and would have dragged the final game down - there are any number of reasons why something would have been cut to give the designers time to work on something that worked instead of fixing something iffy.

So, after the content lock, when you have programmers and maybe an artist or two working on polishing and fixing what exists, what are you going to do with all of those other artists/modelers/animators/coders that now have no work? You could again, fire them, put them on a new project, or have them sit around and do nothing.

...OR, and this is becoming increasingly common, you could put them back to work on stuff that was cut for wholly legitimate reasons. Again, the actual disc is content and feature locked, you cannot add anything more to it. They couldn't put this on the retail product if they wanted to.

Since most of the hard work is done (engine, underlying structure and gameplay), it's usually a lot quicker to finish this stuff. And that's how you get early DLC; it's not shady at all, it's just a good use of resources.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
mm nice, but no rush, we have yet to fully blast our way through Reach for now haha

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Uber Waddles said:
If this DLC comes to light within the next 2 months and is not free, Ill be pissed.

It really irks me when games do that: release a game, cut out part of it, re-sell it to us for even more profit. Its a dirty business tactic, its a way of milking your loyal fans, and its a complete disgrace to the industry.

Releasing DLC after a game has got some ground on it is never a bad thing. But there is NO way DLC would be done THIS early after the games release for it not to be on the disk we dropped $60-$150 for.

Even Infinity Ward didnt sink that low Bungie. I am disappointed. Remember when you had credability?
Errr, pretty sure Bungie has never done that, ever. The only shitty thing they did was let Microsoft released ODST full price.

Also, Bungie CAN'T let the DLC be free, Microsoft controls the pricing. You think Bungie wouldn't make the DLC free if they couldn't?

Also, 2 months is a long time, especially for only 3, or 4 maps. If they DLC is announced, or released by Christmas, I see no reason for complaint.

dogstile said:
Yeah, i'd like maps that wern't just "section off a part of the campaign and put in objectives steve, they'll never notice!"
Bungie admitted they were doing this a lot of the time. They said multiplayer maps would be put in campaign, and never hid it. I don't get what's so wrong with it?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
A mega-popular title wants to milk its ravenous fanbase?
Naaaaaaawwww! Who'd ever do that?

Rumor or not, the DLC is inevitable.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
What I heard was that the extra achievements were going to be released as part of the October update. Said update will add Co-Op Campaign Matchmaking and I bet those achievements might be related to it. (10 achievements, 10 missions.) The update will be free just so you know.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
If it hits at Halloween, expect this to be free for all for a while:

It's called Haunted and is rare as hell. But says 'Happy Friggin' Halloween' so I hope this becomes free for Halloween.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
SalamanderJoe said:
aaronmcc said:
I still can't get that Came To Hear Me Beg Achievement. It's a ************
Start of Pillar of Autumn. First cliff Emile crouchs at. Jump off there.
Yeah, that's the obvious part. It's the precise execution that's the problem. I got it yesterday on the...hmm 350th try, give or take.