Bungie Invites Gamers to Final Farewell to Halo 2

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So, in summary:
Hey there loyal customer, you have paid our salaries and kept our beloved game and community alive for a whole six years now.

Come and play our game one last time before we arbitrarily cut the service you've been paying good money every year for. Wait? You mean you paid to play it? Fuck you, we decide what you're paying to play, now go and buy our latest release for £60 and don't forget your renewel comes up in three weeks and we want your £40 and that £10 for the DLC to play the latest release *****!

It's quite impressive really, I honestly didn't think there were that many people on the planet who would pay to drop their pants and bend over.

Ranting over, it's a crying shame that the publisher dictates the usage, rather than the players who are paying for it all to happen. No doubt many are trying to put a positive spin on it with platitudes about 'advancing the system' but the reality is a whole bunch of players are about to get hosed.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Nice to see the developers throwing in it's thoughts. I hope all goes well for it!

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Well, I never played Halo 2 online, but I thought it was pretty good.
I won't be playing it online, but I'll be supporting the red teams from here.

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
I wish I could join em. but sadly, I can't play the multiplayer without downloading the map packs for Halo, and since I haven't played Halo 2 for 3 years, I have to download a lot of map packs.

epikAXE

Save the planet: It has beer!
Oct 26, 2009
iTeamKill said:
Silly console drones. Don't you know you are only worth what you have in your wallet? Xbox live doesn't give a shit you still play the game. If you don't pay, you don't play. Buy the new game or leave.
I can tell you are an "Elite" gamer. thinking your so mutch better than everyone else just because you still play old games from the first valve bundle packs, im not saying the games are bad, just saying that just because you play them it dosen't make you a better gamer than someone who plays CoD, although I personally, despise CoD. Just because its new dosnt mean its bad...

masher

Jul 20, 2009
heh. damn. This was like Counter Strike for Xbox users. Old, but still played. A game where people just kept on playing.

philzibit

May 25, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
I think as part of the celebration all the guys from Red vs Blue should be attending as well
They probably will be, they were for the Haiti support days.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
Damn...and it's not just Halo 2 either, it's the entire Live network for the orig. Xbox :* (

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
I give them credit for community care.

I didnt know there was still an active Halo 2 community, I assumed there where just a small number of elitists left.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Geoffrey42 said:
The Rockerfly said:
I'm interested what they will provide when the original xbox live has shut down, I mean costs will be cut but, so what?
Okay what I am asking, what will it provide to the community when xbox live is shut down?
At least one previous statement indicated that the 100-friend limit on Live accounts was due to Halo 2. In all likelihood, they're just getting annoyed at supporting legacy code, and whatever other limitations that is imposing. I'm sure there's some cost savings in there to boot, along with some serious math regarding revenue from Legacy Gold accounts compared to the predicted % that they can get to pony up for Halo 3/ODST/Reach or/and a 360.
Oh okay, it will be useful having more then 100 friends, here's hoping they add that to xbox live
Thank you for the info too

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
So, in summary:
Hey there loyal customer, you have paid our salaries and kept our beloved game and community alive for a whole six years now.

Come and play our game one last time before we arbitrarily cut the service you've been paying good money every year for. Wait? You mean you paid to play it? Fuck you, we decide what you're paying to play, now go and buy our latest release for £60 and don't forget your renewel comes up in three weeks and we want your £40 and that £10 for the DLC to play the latest release *****!
Yeah, its not like single player exists or anything. No, multi-player is everything people! That's it right there! Oh! Don't forget! You're obviously playing for just the one game online and it's definitely Bungie's fault that Microsoft is cutting an older system!

Just because you paid to play it because it was there doesn't mean they are obliged to keep the service running. It just means that they provided a service and you paid for it. If you think it's going to last forever you're a fool.

Aug 25, 2009
I think I shall steer clear thanks. I had my fill of the 80% whiny gobshite market a few years back. It was fun a long time ago, yeah. But I ain't going round those parts of the multiplayer online community.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
This irritates me for Guilty Gear gets no love.

Also as I said before, I think this is kind of ridiculous to be honest. If Microsoft is going to pull these servers I think they should refund some of the money spent ont he X-box originals titles (even if it's as points). I mean the entire point having gotten Halo 2 (which I did not, so this isn't personal, though I did DL Guilty Gear) was to play it Multiplayer, you can't even seriously defend that one by saying "well you can still play it single player" and keep a straight face. What's more there is no real reason for doing this, I mean honestly it seems the central justification is so people can have more than 100+ people on their friends list.... stop and think about that one carefully. The only excuse for HAVING 100 people on your friends list is being too lazy to do any pruning.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
D4zZ said:
Hurry for dedicated servers...
I hate it when companies can just stop you from playing a game you bought.
Agreed. Thats why I won't (probably ever) get a console. Same stuff can happen on PC but at least my older games are safe.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
D4zZ said:
Hurry for dedicated servers...
I hate it when companies can just stop you from playing a game you bought.
This. It worries me that more and more developers aren't including dedicated servers, even on the PC. Imagine if Sony or Microsoft could somehow implement dedicated server support for consoles, either through a computer, console, or new piece of hardware, so no one would have to put up with this.

Still, say what you want about Halo and it's community, but this is still the end of an era.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
I'm trying to rally my friends list for a fitting farewell to the best Xbox Live game of all time. It's amazing to me how quickly people forget the greatness that is Halo 2.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
I don't care for Halo, never have. But this only emphasizes Shamus' point on activations, support and server upkeep.
[link]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/7134-Experienced-Points-Activation-Bomb[/link]