Bungie Invites Gamers to Final Farewell to Halo 2

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
So, in summary:
Hey there loyal customer, you have paid our salaries and kept our beloved game and community alive for a whole six years now.

Come and play our game one last time before we arbitrarily cut the service you've been paying good money every year for. Wait? You mean you paid to play it? Fuck you, we decide what you're paying to play, now go and buy our latest release for £60 and don't forget your renewel comes up in three weeks and we want your £40 and that £10 for the DLC to play the latest release *****!

It's quite impressive really, I honestly didn't think there were that many people on the planet who would pay to drop their pants and bend over.

Ranting over, it's a crying shame that the publisher dictates the usage, rather than the players who are paying for it all to happen. No doubt many are trying to put a positive spin on it with platitudes about 'advancing the system' but the reality is a whole bunch of players are about to get hosed.
You paid for a game that relied upon a service who's terms clearly state you're at the mercy of their whims. Nobody has been pantsed with this revelation - we all dropped 'em the minute we signed up for the service.

While I don't care even slighly about halo multiplayer, I know I would be more than a little upset if a game that I loved to play was yanked away in the middle of my enjoying it. That is the one benfit to PC games in general I suppose - so long as players are willing to shell out the cash for a server and bandwidth we can keep playing. Hell, one can still play Tribes 2 and there are even a few Quake 1 servers still around.

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
Heh... good riddance.
I'll just get the flame shield.

OT: I only played Halo 2 once, but wasn't too impressed. Although it WAS on multiplayer, which would why I sucked at it.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
I haven't played the game in years, but I will have to admit, Halo 2 was the first Hao I ever played, and the one that kept me interested in it's multiplayer the most.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Well, I'm guessing this isn't affecting the PC version, as that goes through GFW:Live

fix-the-spade said:
dogstile said:
dogstile has a fair point. When you signed up, you agreed that Microsoft could change the service without prior consent or notice. It's in the Terms & Conditions, which you agreed to.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Megacherv said:
dogstile said:
-double snip-
That was exactly my point, it's impressive how many people pay money to get screwed when it says it'll happen in the TOS. Even if players 'know' it's happening it's still sad that it does and polar opposite to what's good about online communities keeping supposedly dead games alive and kicking.

I've never paid a penny to XBL, I like playing (and modding) games over a long period of time, wouldn't waste my cash.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Megacherv said:
dogstile said:
-double snip-
That was exactly my point, it's impressive how many people pay money to get screwed when it says it'll happen in the TOS. Even if players 'know' it's happening it's still sad that it does and polar opposite to what's good about online communities keeping supposedly dead games alive and kicking.

I've never paid a penny to XBL, I like playing (and modding) games over a long period of time, wouldn't waste my cash.
I like keeping my games alive and moddable too. But what you need to realise is even if developer support lasted forever people playing the games would eventually filter out. I tried to play Conker: Live and Reloaded the other day and there was a grand total of one other person online, and s/he left the second I joined and loaded up guitar hero. (Yes, I checked).

If you want to mod and play your games for a long period of time, sure, go to the PC. But the Xbox crowd moves on to the next big thing while only a few people remain behind. Of course the company is going to cater more to them, they have collectively more money than the other guys and they can use the money saved by shutting the old servers down on new things.

Point of the matter is, the PC is where you go if you want to play old multiplayer games, not the Xbox Or PS3 or Wii or even the Dreamcast (It was a good console and I want people to admit it, dammit! :D)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Give some credit to Bungie, for giving a shit about the community.

I know I never did...I didn't have Live when I played Halo 2. So I was stuck playing single player over and over.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
last time I played Halo 2 I was so awful online
but it's been a while and Halo 3, despite no longer having the appeal of top current graphics and Achievements, is still a blast to play for me and my roommate...
maybe Halo 2 shall come out of the cabinet for the next week or so...
=)

(haters should list their fav game/games before hatin' on forums, show some guts that way)

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
Meh, Halo 3 servers are still up and it wasn't much of a difference, pretty much Halo 2 with more stuff, I don't see the problem.

Antiparticle

Dec 8, 2008
I still have Halo 2, and although I never play it anymore, I'd like to join in for one final match since it'll be the last time I can ever play it online. But it seems I won't be able to cause I don't have all the DLC. Boo.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I never played Halo 2 online at all. I always played it offline, split screen with friends (I had a large TV). I bid farewell to Halo 2 the day Halo 3 came out. I don't see what the big deal is. I don't understand why someone would pay for XBL soley to play Halo. Good memories though, but the game works out okay on the PC too.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
sirdanrhodes said:
Hmmmmm, I might play Halo 2 on PC!
Not that I play Halo, but this is one major reason I like PC gaming over consoles. We can set up our own servers. :) If I want to have a match with my friends, I can say connect on this time, or just all meet up and bust out the cables. Although I gotta admit, while not as enjoyable as COD4, I have had a lot of fun with Halo at a lan party or two.