Bungie Might Make Another Halo Someday

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Bungie Might Make Another Halo Someday

Halo: Reach [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968624&sr=1-1] is the last planned Halo title from Bungie for now, but the studio won't rule out a return to the franchise someday in the future.

With this year's Halo: Reach, Bungie will be - in its own words - finished making Halo games for the Xbox 360. There are no more games planned in the series, and given that Bungie expects the 360 to be only halfway through its life cycle, that means that the series will be dormant for five more years at the very least. But as the developers ramp up told CVG [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98478-Bungie-Reveals-Halo-Reach-Beta-Details] that thinking about Reach as the series' ultimate swan song might be a mistake: never say never.

"You know, it might be premature to say we'll never ever, ever make a Halo game again. We sort of have a little special place for Halo in our hearts. But for the foreseeable future, [Halo: Reach] is it."

For the moment, though, Jarrard added that the studio was approaching Reach as if it were the series' final send-off. "There is a degree of pressure there but I also think that inspires our team. If we don't ever come back to Halo again, we better damn well make sure that our last game is the best one ever. Let's set that bar really high and at least leave our fans something really special."

It's not hard to see where the man is coming from. Bungie may well and truly intend to leave Halo behind and lay the series to rest for the moment, but any time a developer ever says "We will never do X" or "We will always do Y," it just sets up a nasty contradiction waiting to happen.

At any rate, if Bungie does make more Halo games, they won't be for a while. So let's enjoy them as they come.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Truth be told, I hope they do take a break and explore some other concepts. I enjoyed the main Halo trilogy but I'm really getting the feeling that the series has reached its limit, at least for now.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Of course they will come back to it...makes money.

Although be nice to see Bungie do something else for a while.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
It'll be nice to see what they'd do aside from Halo. Honestly, the series has saturated the market for quite some time. Give people the chance to miss it a bit before you bring it back.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
If there is one thing I have learned growing up in the 90s, it's that there is always the possiblity of a sequel...apparently even if it involves Apogee.

Discrodia

Dec 7, 2008
I hate to say it, but I wish Bungie would just let it die. I mean, with all the frikkin sequels these days, I'm honestly willing to suffer if it means that I might see something new with my gaming for once.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
It's nice to see a developer who knows when enough is enough. I wonder what they'll do next.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Discrodia said:
I hate to say it, but I wish Bungie would just let it die. I mean, with all the frikkin sequels these days, I'm honestly willing to suffer if it means that I might see something new with my gaming for once.
To their credit, that's what it looks like they ARE doing. They aren't planning anything after Reach, they're just saying "maybe in the future, we'll come back to it some day."

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
O god no! Unless its a short Arcade game where you play some nasty virus that painfully kills Master Chief it needs to be shelved for good!

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I bet they'll come back to it eventually, but I hope they make some more good stuff before then. I want more Marathon!

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Good, I'd like to see them take up other properties for now, and giving Halo a break is a good move. Come back to it in three years, then people will be ready to have a new Halo adventure begin.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I would not be surprised if in two years we find out that Halo 4 is in development. There are a lot of Halo fans out there who would like to have another adventure as Master Chief.

Logically a fourth game where Master Chief is found and has to fight some epic battle to return to earth sounds about right. I guess only time will tell. Now I need to go back to waiting for God of War 3 to come out...

Apr 28, 2008
I would love to see what Bungie does after Halo. Would be interesting.
Since they're independent, perhaps they'll do something for the PS3.

Also, didn't Capcom say they were interested in working with Bungie?
Wonder what they could do together.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
John Funk said:
"You know, it might be premature to say we'll never ever, ever make a Halo game again. We sort of have a little special place for money in our hearts.
I fixed your news article for you, Funk.

OT: Deep down I knew this would happen. Because it's just not good business to keep to your word sometimes.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Hmm... the "Halo Trilogy" has 5 games (they arnt cannon, but its using the same franchise) and there might be a sixth, anyone else hear the cash cow being milked?

Really, make more marathon games, those where awesome.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
They're not ruling more Marathon after their next project either but I don't think they'll do anything unless they remake it, the last game ended with the end of the universe, it's kind of hard to tell about stuff after that, and after Reach I will have officially had my fill of prequels for a while.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
The DSM said:
Hmm... the "Halo Trilogy" has 5 games (they arnt cannon, but its using the same franchise) and there might be a sixth, anyone else hear the cash cow being milked?

Really, make more marathon games, those where awesome.
EH lots of franchises are guilty of it. Plus 5 games over 9 years isn't too bad. This gen alone we had cod2-3-4-waw-mw2(plus their early spinoffs of 2 for the original xbox ps2).