Bungie "Not Concerned" About Infinity Ward Debacle

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Pimppeter2 said:
HG131 said:
Hey, guys, what is the reason for your sudden and inexplicable rebuttals against everyone who dissaproves of this decision?
I mean, I get it, Bungie isn't losing their freedom or anything, but seeing how Activision has probably figured out they've lost Infinity Ward and, thus, most of the Call Of Duty franchise, I can safely bet that they've signed Bungie as a replacement.
It would be quite naive for all of you to think that they're not planning to get Bungie completely under control in the following years.
Alright, that didn't really happen with Activision-Blizzard or EA-Bioware, but it's still one hell of a possibility.
Because people are spewing uninformed crap.

Bungie is not going to be controlled by Activision. Its in the contract (Which lasts for 10 years). Activision wouldn't dare try it. I mean, if you were a developer, would you sign up with Activision if you heard they screwed over some of the biggest names in development?

Bungie is no small studio. They fought hard to gain their independence from MS, they bought themselves away from one of the biggest companies to ever exist. There is absolutely no chance that they would fall into that again.

Bungie knows what they're doing, and what they're doing is quite brilliant. They hold all the marbles in this deal. Bungie is exploiting a down trotted Activision
]
Are you absolutely, positively sure about that?
Sure, Bungie is riding high now and they don't need to merge with some other studio, but, in a few years, everything may change.
I'm quite sure that after the incident with IW Activision has a trick up its sleeve just in case Bungie will want to bail after three games or so.

Grand_Marquis

Feb 9, 2009
--several years later--
Activision: Your IP and autonomy is coming with me.
Bungie: You said our studio would be left under our own supervision!
Activision: I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
Pimppeter2 said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Pimppeter2 said:
HG131 said:
Hey, guys, what is the reason for your sudden and inexplicable rebuttals against everyone who dissaproves of this decision?
I mean, I get it, Bungie isn't losing their freedom or anything, but seeing how Activision has probably figured out they've lost Infinity Ward and, thus, most of the Call Of Duty franchise, I can safely bet that they've signed Bungie as a replacement.
It would be quite naive for all of you to think that they're not planning to get Bungie completely under control in the following years.
Alright, that didn't really happen with Activision-Blizzard or EA-Bioware, but it's still one hell of a possibility.
Because people are spewing uninformed crap.

Bungie is not going to be controlled by Activision. Its in the contract (Which lasts for 10 years). Activision wouldn't dare try it. I mean, if you were a developer, would you sign up with Activision if you heard they screwed over some of the biggest names in development?

Bungie is no small studio. They fought hard to gain their independence from MS, they bought themselves away from one of the biggest companies to ever exist. There is absolutely no chance that they would fall into that again.

Bungie knows what they're doing, and what they're doing is quite brilliant. They hold all the marbles in this deal. Bungie is exploiting a down trotted Activision
]
Are you absolutely, positively sure about that?
Sure, Bungie is riding high now and they don't need to merge with some other studio, but, in a few years, everything may change.
I'm quite sure that after the incident with IW Activision has a trick up its sleeve just in case Bungie will want to bail after three games or so.
Its a legally binding contract. Bungie could sue them to kingdom come.

Bungie has the resources to publish their own games.

BJ: Somebody asked me earlier why we wouldn't just self-publish, but that's not the business we're in. That's not the core competency of our studio. The minute we start having to divert resources and energy to thinking about how we get a box on a shelf in Europe, that's no longer Bungie. There's always going to be a need for some sort of umbrella for creative people to do what they do best and not have to worry about the business aspects of taking that great game and getting an audience for it.
They simply don't want to.

Bungie will not want to bail out of the deal as long as Activision keeps their end up. Simple as that. In this deal they have total independence, so there is no reason for them to want to break the contract. On the other hand, It is in Activisions interest to dominate Bungie. But Bungie is in such a position that the only way that this could happen is if Bungie were to allow it.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
Arcane Azmadi said:
Oh, so now Bungie are working with Activision? Well in light of that, I'm sure we can expect to see another Halo game, and then another Halo game and probably another couple of Halo games and then some more Halo games. And then a few more Halo games, since this contract is good for 10 years after all. And then another Halo game.

Does anyone remember that Bungie once created Marathon, Oni and the Myth series? I didn't think so. I've never seen a company so fixated on a single IP to the utter exclusion of all else before and now they're working for the "Let's Milk This Cash Cow Until It And Transforms Into A Horse We Can Beat" company the chances of this changing are down to absolute 0. Not that I really give much of a damn anyway, but it's still not the kind of thing I like to see.
microsoft owns the rights to halo not bungie. bungie wont be making another halo game unless they want to release it exclusively to microsoft. this also means that microsoft is free to make as many halo games as they want since the own the IP.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
LGC Pominator said:
Well I can't think of a single bad move Bungie have made in my lifetime, every game they have developed is among my favourites, with Halo 3 still neatly sitting atop the list years after its release, admittedly I am not a big fan of Activision, but if there is one developer that can get them to get their act together it is Bungie, I mean lets face it Activision has any doubts as to the chances of success of a Bungie game, all they need do is point towards the player count for Halo 3, which is still extremely high, unlike with MW2 which is constantly fluctuating and finding a game, even months after release is nowhere near as instantaneous as it was in the release month and Christmas period.

I am not one to say Bungie can do no wrong, but to use scientific method, my entire experience has been positive and it is reasonable to suggest that they aren't going to start screwing up now.

As regards the Halo franchise, it is in the hands of 343 industries now, with Microsoft ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL so, if nothing else, Activision can't hurt their baby, I can only hope that 343 industries can carry on doing the series justice.

And as for the Halo haters, well I can't be bothered with you any more.
totally agree (especially so with the last line)

hopefully things between Bungie and Activision works out well
can't wait to see what new ideas Bungie is planning to put out...wow and Reach still hasn't come out. what a great time to be a gamer haha
(and despite all the PC elitists and Halo (PS3 owners) haters, honestly it's also nice that Bungie can make games for even more people to enjoy now)

Nightfalke

Just this guy, you know?
Sep 10, 2008
"Our situation is so fundamentally different that we're not concerned at all," Staten told Alexander, as he rolls around in his giant pile of money Scrooge McDuck style.

Fixed that for you.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
scifidownbeat said:
I've never heard of 343 industries. So they are the ones who control the Halo IP now? I suppose they'll release books and comics and stuff, right?
pretty much, they also head up the halo waypoint system on the XBL Dashboard, they have a pretty tight lock on the fiction and such, so hopefully it will mean good things for the Halo franchise

imgunagitusucka

Apr 20, 2010
If that stuff didn't go down at IW, no-one would care about this. I'm not convinced activision were completly at fault in that case anyway, as more details come out about it, the less clear the case seems to be. Anyway, I'm just glad Bungie didn't sign with EA. Those useless EA servers are a nightmare to play games on.

OblivionRegained

Nov 13, 2008
Obvious Fool is Obvious, HG131 you so naive its unreal. Your fanboyism for Bungie obviously shows no limits. You honestly think Bobby Kotick cares about Bungie? About is characters or its stories? I say "story" very loosely, honestly i already sense the epic butthurt Bungie and its fans will experience over this in a couple of years.

On a lighter note. Im proud of Bungie, the PS3 gets infected with the Halo fanboy disease now too! Awesome.