Bungie "Not Concerned" About Infinity Ward Debacle

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Arcane Azmadi said:
Oh, so now Bungie are working with Activision? Well in light of that, I'm sure we can expect to see another Halo game, and then another Halo game and probably another couple of Halo games and then some more Halo games. And then a few more Halo games, since this contract is good for 10 years after all. And then another Halo game.

Does anyone remember that Bungie once created Marathon, Oni and the Myth series? I didn't think so. I've never seen a company so fixated on a single IP to the utter exclusion of all else before and now they're working for the "Let's Milk This Cash Cow Until It And Transforms Into A Horse We Can Beat" company the chances of this changing are down to absolute 0. Not that I really give much of a damn anyway, but it's still not the kind of thing I like to see.
Microsoft still owns the IP for Halo. Even if Bungie wanted to, they can't make the game.

Bungie has actually said that they're pursuing a New IP with Activision.

Does that mean Halo is done for? Probably not, because Microsoft still holds the rights to the title.

So please, keep your hatred to your uninformed self.

FaithorFire

Mar 14, 2010
I'm sure that Emperor Palpat... 'scuze me, Mr Kotick and the executives at Activision are totally trustworthy. Bungie should not be worried at all about the destruction of Aldera...sorry, Infinity Ward.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
I call bullshit. I doubt this has nothing to do with Infinity Ward. It was just timed too perfectly for it not to be coincided with what is essentially Infinity Ward's farewell from Activision. Also (and this is more of an uneducated guess) I don't think it would take 9 months for Bungie to tell Activision they want control over their games and for Activision to okay that.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
I also feel uneasy about this but if I am reading this correctly it seems that Bungie (or Bungie thinks it) is going to use Activision's influence to promote their games and thats it. In that sense it seems like a good move, but then we have Activision. If they try something . . . well.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Really, I'd say this is for the best.

Regardless of what I might think of Bungie's quality with Halo 1 (as opposed to its sequels), the fact stands that their team recently admitted to outright putting up smoke and mirrors tactics for Halo 2 as well as to performing massively disorganized crunch times, which eventually wound up in fairly average sequels.

To my mind that quality of developer fits perfectly with Activision publishing! So I wouldn't say this news is that sad, it's just birds of a feather flocking together in my view. It's just that something tells me how their future games might not be as earthshatteringly awesome as their legions of fanboys saw them as being.

But eh...we'll see. For now this is a very lovely little pit of drama stirred up here. And even if it was indeed brewing for 9 months or so, the timing of this is...hahah...well, if you think that out of ALL THE DAYS in these months they decide to announce this right AFTER one of the worst news for Activision, then you clearly lack the ability to see how they tried to pull the wool over the eyes of their fans by having their 'good news' come AFTER their 'bad news'. And the CEO of Activision publishing stepping down the EXACT day before this deal is announced...that was a coincidence too, right? Pahahahahah...I love the propaganda machine.

As uplifting as this news might be to Activision's investors, I for one know that, if I were in their shoes, restructurings of this sort of scale would have me worried regardless of what kinds of 'innovative' tactics the company came up with. Still...I gotta hand it to Activision! They really have a flair for showmanship...would be nice if they actually had a flair for good games too, but eh - can't have it all at any given season of the year I guess.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Call me naive, but this could be signaling a change in Activision's approach. Remember that several years ago, EA was in the position Activision is today...of being a publisher who is known to merely exploit existing IPs and destroy creative game studios that they purchased. But then they switched their approach to giving developers autonomy and supporting the creation of original IPs, which has contributed a lot to their reputation.

After the debacle with Infinity Ward, we could be seeing that same thing occuring with Activision here. But of course, I could be wrong and Bungie is merely an exception. Only time will tell.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
HG131 said:
Tom Phoenix said:
Call me naive, but this could be signaling a change in Activision's approach. Remember that several years ago, EA was in the position Activision is today...of being a publisher who is known to merely exploit existing IPs and destroy creative game studios that they purchased. But then they switched their approach to giving developers autonomy and supporting the creation of original IPs, which has contributed a lot to their reputation.

After the debacle with Infinity Ward, we could be seeing that same thing occuring with Activision here. But of course, I could be wrong and Bungie is merely an exception. Only time will tell.
Actually, it's more Bungie is exploiting a weak but rich publisher. Activision needs good publicity. They'll throw money at Bungie to make them these new games. Basically, Bungie says Jump, Activision says "How high, where, when, how fast should we fall, how should we and, and how many times?"
That is kind of my point. I think Activision is trying to regain some good publicity by using the approach that brough EA so much success.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Bigeyez said:
If Bungie actually secured the full rights of whatever new IP they make and remain independant then there really isn't anything to worry about. If Activision decides to break their contract and not cough up dough for the project Bungie can easiy shop whatever game their making to any publisher they want to. So it would be in Activisions best interests to play nice with Bungie.
That what Doublefine the makers of Brutal Legend thought. Activision still sued them in an attempt to block Brutal Legend's release. hence why I jumped on the whole F#$%k Activision bandwagon.

Still maybe this whole Infinity Ward debacle will finally get Activision to get it's act together, like the how the whole Spore drm debacle got EA to get it's act together.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Well I can't think of a single bad move Bungie have made in my lifetime, every game they have developed is among my favourites, with Halo 3 still neatly sitting atop the list years after its release, admittedly I am not a big fan of Activision, but if there is one developer that can get them to get their act together it is Bungie, I mean lets face it Activision has any doubts as to the chances of success of a Bungie game, all they need do is point towards the player count for Halo 3, which is still extremely high, unlike with MW2 which is constantly fluctuating and finding a game, even months after release is nowhere near as instantaneous as it was in the release month and Christmas period.

I am not one to say Bungie can do no wrong, but to use scientific method, my entire experience has been positive and it is reasonable to suggest that they aren't going to start screwing up now.

As regards the Halo franchise, it is in the hands of 343 industries now, with Microsoft ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL so, if nothing else, Activision can't hurt their baby, I can only hope that 343 industries can carry on doing the series justice.

And as for the Halo haters, well I can't be bothered with you any more.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Pimppeter2 said:
Arcane Azmadi said:
Oh, so now Bungie are working with Activision? Well in light of that, I'm sure we can expect to see another Halo game, and then another Halo game and probably another couple of Halo games and then some more Halo games. And then a few more Halo games, since this contract is good for 10 years after all. And then another Halo game.

Does anyone remember that Bungie once created Marathon, Oni and the Myth series? I didn't think so. I've never seen a company so fixated on a single IP to the utter exclusion of all else before and now they're working for the "Let's Milk This Cash Cow Until It And Transforms Into A Horse We Can Beat" company the chances of this changing are down to absolute 0. Not that I really give much of a damn anyway, but it's still not the kind of thing I like to see.
Microsoft still owns the IP for Halo. Even if Bungie wanted to, they can't make the game.

Does that mean Halo is done for? Probably not, because Microsoft still holds the rights to the title.

So we'll get another beyond mediocre FPS game they market like crazy and make sequel after mind numbingly boring sequel to.
I can't wait

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
AC10 said:
Pimppeter2 said:
Arcane Azmadi said:

So we'll get another beyond mediocre FPS game they market like crazy and make sequel after mind numbingly boring sequel to.
I can't wait
Nobody asked you to

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
HG131 said:
Hey, guys, what is the reason for your sudden and inexplicable rebuttals against everyone who dissaproves of this decision?
I mean, I get it, Bungie isn't losing their freedom or anything, but seeing how Activision has probably figured out they've lost Infinity Ward and, thus, most of the Call Of Duty franchise, I can safely bet that they've signed Bungie as a replacement.
It would be quite naive for all of you to think that they're not planning to get Bungie completely under control in the following years.
Alright, that didn't really happen with Activision-Blizzard or EA-Bioware, but it's still one hell of a possibility.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
Pimppeter2 said:
HG131 said:
Hey, guys, what is the reason for your sudden and inexplicable rebuttals against everyone who dissaproves of this decision?
I mean, I get it, Bungie isn't losing their freedom or anything, but seeing how Activision has probably figured out they've lost Infinity Ward and, thus, most of the Call Of Duty franchise, I can safely bet that they've signed Bungie as a replacement.
It would be quite naive for all of you to think that they're not planning to get Bungie completely under control in the following years.
Alright, that didn't really happen with Activision-Blizzard or EA-Bioware, but it's still one hell of a possibility.
Because people are spewing uninformed crap.

Bungie is not going to be controlled by Activision. Its in the contract (Which lasts for 10 years). Activision wouldn't dare try it. I mean, if you were a developer, would you sign up with Activision if you heard they screwed over some of the biggest names in development?

Bungie is no small studio. They fought hard to gain their independence from MS, they bought themselves away from one of the biggest companies to ever exist. There is absolutely no chance that they would fall into that again.

Bungie knows what they're doing, and what they're doing is quite brilliant. They hold all the marbles in this deal. Bungie is exploiting a down trotted Activision

wiredk

Jun 1, 2008
I'm willing to bet that Bungie isn't as good at reading Contracts as they'd like to be.