Bungie Not Talking About Reach Just Yet

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bungie Not Talking About Reach Just Yet

Bungie has made it very clear that it's not ready to talk about Halo Reach just yet.

Speaking at PAX this week, Bungie made it crystal clear that it's not ready to speak about Halo: Reach, not before Halo: ODST sees the light of day at least.

"Obviously right now what we're excited about is the impending launch of ODST, so we don't want to totally start talking about next year's model before this one's even off the assembly line," said community leader Brian Jarrard, "but there is a beta that's coming next year, so all you've got to do is sit tight. If you want to be part of Reach from the very beginning then you want to make sure you keep an ODST disc handy."

Bungie also made it clear that DLC for ODST was not a priority and that their focus was on finishing Reach for its release in late 2010, with Jarrard commenting, "The team's working really hard on another really huge game coming out next fall"

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bungie-not-ready-to-talk-about-reach]

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Oh well, If Halo Reach is anything like the book, it can't be that bad.

Edit: I have been pointed towards my mistake and as so corrected it.

I mean, sellotaping rocket launchers to banshees and piloting single handed while holding a nuclear device the size of a football in the other hand? and then sitting on the top of the cockpit to fire the rocket launcher AND throw the nuke at the same time?

I'm not going to remove it from my post because I made a mistake... there wouldn't be much left.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
This isn't news. It's also not unexpected, back when they announced Halo 3 it was still almost half a year before they started saying things other than "it exists".

EDIT:
Greyfox105 said:

I mean, sellotaping rocket launchers to banshees and piloting single handed while holding a nuclear device the size of a football in the other hand? and then sitting on the top of the cockpit to fire the rocket launcher AND throw the nuke at the same time?
That's in First Strike. And also, Halo Reach is not a book. Halo Reach and Halo: The Fall of Reach are different. Just because both have "Reach" in the title doesn't mean that Halo Reach is based on the book The Fall of Reach (in fact it probably has more to do with First Strike).

Why must people make huge leaps of questionable logic and treat them as fact?

Sorry, it's just annoying.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
-snip-

EDIT:
Greyfox105 said:

That's in First Strike. And also, Halo Reach is not a book. Halo Reach and Halo: The Fall of Reach are different. Just because both have "Reach" in the title doesn't mean that Halo Reach is based on the book The Fall of Reach.

sorry, I haven't read them in a while... and when I glanced sideways I missed 'The' from the title in a glint off the spine...

I mean, Sacrificing a hosital ship as a shield to protect the fleet, then kicking ass? And ramming a covvie stealth ship? Ok, so I can't remember much of it...

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
I swear that in an EDGE magazine interview with Bungie, they said that OSDT was originally called REACH, but they renamed it because OSDT captured the essence of the game.

That, and it sounds like a goddamn metal health issue

I dunno..."Obsessive Shock Dysentry Tunisia"? "Overtly Sick D**k Terror"?

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
GrinningManiac said:
I swear that in an EDGE magazine interview with Bungie, they said that OSDT was originally called REACH, but they renamed it because OSDT captured the essence of the game.

ODST was originally called Recon, not Reach. Although they are kind of similar.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
GrinningManiac said:

Orbital Drop Shock Trooper

It was Halo 3: Recon originally.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Someone wanna explain to me what the big deal with this game is, other than that it's another Halo game? Why is "preorder to unlock Sgt. Johnson" a selling point? I don't know who that is! What, the sergeant who barks at you during Halo 1, the only game of the series I played? Why would I want to play as him? Isn't that sort of like selling an Indiana Jones game and advertising, "unlock Marcus Brodie?" Or selling a Star Wars game and advertising, "unlock Crix Madine?" (ten points to whoever knows who that is)

I don't understand why I'm supposed to want this game or why Bungie is getting so much attention for it.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Hm.. if it's like the book, then it'll be great.
I'd like to play as someone else besides butthole master chief.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
NickCaligo42 said:
Someone wanna explain to me what the big deal with this game is, other than that it's another Halo game? Why is "preorder to unlock Sgt. Johnson" a selling point? I don't know who that is! What, the sergeant who barks at you during Halo 1, the only game of the series I played? Why would I want to play as him? Isn't that sort of like selling an Indiana Jones game and advertising, "unlock Marcus Brodie?" Or selling a Star Wars game and advertising, "unlock Crix Madine?" (ten points to whoever knows who that is)

I don't understand why I'm supposed to want this game or why Bungie is getting so much attention for it.
Johnson is one of the Halo series' most beloved characters. It's no wonder why that'd be a pretty sweet selling point.

Other than that, ODST is basically a different direction for Halo. Instead of playing as a super soldier, you're an ODST: An Orbital Drop Shock Trooper who's basically weaker than a SPARTAN, BUT he comes with more tools. The Halo 1 Pistol (silenced! WOO!), a new machine gun like the old Halo 1 Assault Rifle (60 as opposed to 32), and a visor. The game has you trying to uncover what has happened to your squad by entering flashbacks that put you in their perspective.

The games OTHER selling points is that it comes with a Beta for Halo Reach when it goes Live, FireFight, which is essentially a Halo twist on Horde from Gears of War (Skulls, 7 lives when you start which are shared by everyone, badges, metagame scoring), and every Halo 3 map released to date with 3 new maps.

Soooo there are plenty of selling points.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
Take it easy. I'd have made the same assumption too as its not that huge of a leap.
NickCaligo42 said:
The games got a cult following.

As for selling points...would have been nice if they went with something ridiculous. Like "winnie the pooh" unlockable character...or unlock "bender" from futurama...

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
....FUCK. I've been debating what it could possibly be with friends. I'm one to think it'll be a newer much more story driven campaign with RPG like elements and a strategy based squad twist. Of course that's just me. Obviously, we have until the 22nd of September, so maybe a month after it's release they start getting chatty about Reach.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
buy teh haloz said:
Johnson is one of the Halo series' most beloved characters. It's no wonder why that'd be a pretty sweet selling point.
I am looking forward to ODST but agree that Johnson is a poor selling point, he is basically Sergeant Apone from Aliens:

I think I'd prefer a different helmet for fire-fight or something.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
NickCaligo42 said:

Brodie and Madine don't say stuff like this [http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3ODST/sounds/Gotta_Lotta_Issues.mp3] (caution, strong language).

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Feh, DLC normally costs too much when they make it so whatever...
Not sure if I should get ODST yet, it doesn't seem to add much to Halo 3.

EDIT: Actually, why is everyone so worked up over Reach? ODST is coming out soon, so why care about Reach? It's like a child getting a new toy then imediately wanting another.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Eldritch Warlord said:
Brodie and Madine don't say stuff like this [http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3ODST/sounds/Gotta_Lotta_Issues.mp3] (caution, strong language).
All hail David Scully, long may he reign...

-- Steve

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
NickCaligo42 said:
Someone wanna explain to me what the big deal with this game is, other than that it's another Halo game? Why is "preorder to unlock Sgt. Johnson" a selling point? I don't know who that is! What, the sergeant who barks at you during Halo 1, the only game of the series I played?
The last sentence is why you miss the awesome that is Avery Johnson.

Contact Harvest, read it!

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
buy teh haloz said:
....FUCK. I've been debating what it could possibly be with friends. I'm one to think it'll be a newer much more story driven campaign with RPG like elements and a strategy based squad twist. Of course that's just me. Obviously, we have until the 22nd of September, so maybe a month after it's release they start getting chatty about Reach.
You've got to be kidding me...

It's going to be an FPS, that's it.

It's a HALO GAME.

Ugh.
And Halo Wars doesn't count because Bungie didn't make it.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Eldritch Warlord said:
Well met.

zahr

Mar 26, 2009
Halo has always been my favourite FPS series, and I'm certain Bungie will maintain the same standards of quality that they have on the past three games.

Also, in before butthurt people who hate Halo because they think it makes them speshul and because they wouldn't know a good FPS if it shot them in the head >_>