Bungie Reveals Halo: Reach Beta Details

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bungie Reveals Halo: Reach Beta Details

With the beta only a few months away, Bungie has revealed what beta testers can look forward to.

The Halo 3: ODST [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968624&sr=1-1] before the May 3rd start date, will be have a little bit of nearly everything the game has to offer, what Bungie community lead Brian Jarrard called: "representative sampling".

"It basically will represent a sub-section of almost every main portion of the game. For example, we'll have a couple of the new armor abilities that we've been talking about which are sort of the new version of equipment which have pretty immense implications for gameplay." he said, referring to the new armor abilities that are similar to the perks in Modern Warfare 2's [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00269QLI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278694263&sr=1-1] multiplayer portion.

"So some of those will be in there, some of the weapons will be in there, we'll have a subset of maps, we'll have a subset of game-types, some of which are returning favorites, some are brand new that people don't even know about yet," he continued, before adding, "Of course we're going to hold back some stuff as we've got a long way to go until the fall and we want people to have some stuff to look forward to."

Reach will be the last Halo game that Bungie makes, and it seems like it really wants to go out with a bang. Halo: Reach is scheduled for release this Fall.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178052]

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Never really was intrested in it to be honest.

Also I dont want to have to buy a not very good game (ODST) to play it.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Stubee said:
I really dont like the idea of a perks system in a Halo game.

Plus does this mean we will NEVER find out what happened to the Chief at the end of Halo 3?
The chief got launched into space he's presumed dead. But everyone knows he's not

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
Stubee said:

Plus does this mean we will NEVER find out what happened to the Chief at the end of Halo 3?
No it's just the last Bungie Halo game, I think someone else is taking the reins after Bungie is gone, I think it was gearbox, but I'm not 100% on that.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Stubee said:

Actually, there's probably going to be some FanFic explaining it.

T3h Muster cef lnded on due plantt that was like Halo buts not, den he t00k a nap.

Anyway, considereing i got that Beta Key with ODST hopefully i'll be able to get it running and try the beta out for myself.

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
The DSM said:

Wait till the whole game comes out then :)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Looking forward to seeing what they will offer us this time ^^

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Stubee said:

We know what happened.
He is drifting in an unknown section of space with no way of finding him. Lightyears away with the Forerunner arc portal thingamajig destroyed. He is going to die from either the ship running out of air, running out of food, running out of water, or blowing his own brains out.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Souplex said:
Stubee said:

We know what happened.
He is drifting in an unknown section of space with no way of finding him. Lightyears away with the Forerunner arc portal thingamajig destroyed. He is going to die from either the ship running out of air, running out of food, running out of water, or blowing his own brains out.
Well, he's gone into stasis, so none of those things are likely to happen.

Big Max

Aug 29, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
"It basically will represent a sub-section of almost every main portion of the game. For example, we'll have a couple of the new armor abilities that we've been talking about which are sort of the new version of equipment which have pretty immense implications for gameplay." he said, referring to the new armor abilities that are similar to the perks in Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer portion.
To be honest, I don't think you can compare the armor ability system to MW2's perk system. The abilities are more like reusable equipment. For example, there was a form of invisibility confirmed, which will basically just be reusable active camo.

By the way, the beta starts on May 3rd.

The box art was also revealed a little bit back.

Rusty Bucket said:
Well, he's gone into stasis, so none of those things are likely to happen.
We can also see the planet in the distance, which shares remarkable similarities to the forerunner planet featured in the Origins episode of Halo: Legends.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
*Looks around the room to see if anyone is watching*

*Jumps in Glee*

Man I'm very excited. I love Bungie, more than I love their games.

Shy_Guy

Apr 13, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
*Looks around the room to see if anyone is watching*

*Jumps in Glee*

Man I'm very excited. I love Bungie, more than I love their games.
I kinda feel the similarly. I mean, they are just so NICE. That's a pretty rare thing to say about a developer.

I love how excited they get over their games and how they want to make them as good as possible because they know they will be enjoying them as much as the fans.

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
I was pretty disappointed by Halo 3 and ODST but since this is their last Halo game, I think we can trust them on making this one really fucking good.

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
mspencer82 said:
I'm not big on multiplayer, I only play with friends on rare occasions, but I'll be checking out the beta to see how the armor abilities are implemented. Hopefully it's similar to the way they work (or reportedly work) in single player: only one armor ability can be equipped at a time and they have a limited use before they need to recharge. Otherwise it doesn't make much sense for already good players getting even more of an advantage.

The DSM said:

And yet you were interested enough to click on the thread to make that comment. Wow, someone who doesn't like Halo. Never seen that before; and commenting in a Halo thread at that! Aren't you just a special and unique snowflake? This is noteworthy, seriously; I can think of few things more worthy of note.

Hey everybody! The DSM doesn't like Halo!

Tell you what, I'll post that in every Halo thread from now on just to save you some typing while still getting your very important message out there.
That was probably the most uncalled for hate I've ever seen. I don't even see how he deserved that. His opinion is valid and it was hardly calling for any hate.