Bungie Signs Deal With Activision

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bungie Signs Deal With Activision

Halo developer Bungie has signed a ten year publishing deal with Activision.

Infinity Ward may be falling apart, it would appear that Activision had an ace up its sleeve the whole time, as it has announced that it has signed a ten year deal with Halo developer Bungie. Activision will now be the publisher for Bungie's next franchise, and will have exclusive rights to publish it across all platforms.

"We chose to partner with Activision on our next IP because of their global reach, multi-platform experience and marketing expertise," said Bungie president Harold Ryan in a press release [http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid25920]. "From working together over the past nine months on this agreement, it is clear that Activision supports our commitment to giving our fans the best possible gaming experiences."

"Bungie is one of the premier studios in our industry and we are extremely pleased to have the opportunity to work with their talented team over the next decade," said Activision Blizzard COO Thomas Tippl. "Bungie has developed some of the most compelling and successful games, multiplayer experiences and thriving fan communities, and this alliance underscores our long-standing commitment to foster the industry's best creative talent.

"Our unprecedented partnership with Bungie will enable us to broaden our pipeline of exciting new games as we continue to strengthen our industry position and pursue long-term growth opportunities." He added.

This news is surprising, to say the least, and I think it's fair to say that no one saw this coming. It's important to note that Activision has not bought Bungie, and Bungie will keep control of the IP, but this is still a very big deal. It also makes Bungie's previous statements about possibly revisiting the Halo franchise in ten years time [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100158-Bungie-May-Return-to-Halo] make a lot more sense. Now all we have to do is wait and see what this next big project actually is.

Jul 22, 2009
Goddamnit bungie... why have you sided with the greatest evil in gaming?

Youe next game will retail at £70 with dlc £20 per download and a extra subscription fee for using activision...

Or something to that effect -.-

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
I just hope Activision doesn't try and BS all the employees like they did with IW. Next to Blizzard, Bungie will be the their asset, they better not screw them over.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
GamesB2 said:

Youe next game will retail at £70 with dlc £20 per download and a extra subscription fee for using activision...

Hopefully not, considering Bungie still owns full rights over its own IP...

I do see the concern though, it might happen, and thats a scary thought =\

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Well, if anyone though Halo was getting milked badly, just wait until you see what they're going to do with whatever they need Activision to publish for.

It'll be like Spaceballs meets Frank West, that's for sure.

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
One less 360 exclusive, I wonder if this will impact sales at all. While Bungie is good and all, I prefer IW games much more.

Jul 22, 2009
Simalacrum said:
GamesB2 said:

Hopefully not, considering Bungie still owns full rights over its own IP...

I do see the concern though, it might happen, and thats a scary thought =\
Bungie owns the IP, that means the game, story, characters, whatever else is all theirs.

Activision decides the retail price and can poke Bungie into doing things such as DLC and extra games as they're on a publishing contract.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
As much as I don't care about Halo or Bungie, I can't help but see this as a really really bad thing.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
It's important to note that Activision has not bought Bungie, and Bungie will keep control of the IP, but this is still a very big deal.
Doesn't mean Activision won't find a way to make their newest prison inmate drop the soap.

Probably by punching them in the face until they do.

I don't like Bungie or Halo, But I can't help but feel sorry for them.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I expect they'll fare batter than IW has, not least because Activision isn't taking ownership of Bungie (and after Bungie's Microsoft owned spell it's unlikely they'll ever let a publisher take control ever again) so they can't hire and fire.

Interesting to see where Bungie goes now as far as games. Doubly interesting to see how Activision fares with a successful developer they can't directly control.

I can't wait to hear about a bajillion adverts beginning with FROM THE MAKERS OF HALO all over the telly, internet and billboards come next christmas.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Ah well, least theres still indie developers out there...now where did I put my C++ for dummies again ?

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Couldn't they instead have joined with the lesser of the two evils? You know EA?

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Well I won't say I won't be buying any of their new games...yet, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Activision fucked this up.

I can see it now. Overpriced, subscription fee, 50 dollar DLC.