Bungie Turns 15,000 Halo: Reach Cheaters Into Noobs

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Why is everyone so bent out of shape over this? If it gave access to new weapons that gave people an advantage I could understand.

These people have a new rank tag and cosmetic changes. It has zero affect on their game, your game or any game balance. For me they can keep their rank.

1: I love the guy saying he glitched because he's "got a life" and can't grind. I have a life and so will not spend hours turning my xbox on and off for a useless title. I could be doing something useful or playing the game and enjoying myself in that time.

2: If my account was reset (I'd have to buy the game first...) It would not bother me as their is no actual change in my multiplayer experience. Unlike say losing ranks in MW2/BBC2 where I would use improtant weapons and abilities.

I don't get the fuss.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Vanguard1219 said:
Achronos (Bungie Forum Ninja) said:
stanly226 (random idiot) said:
did not cheat and got banned, explain that
I'd imagine it have something to do with that day you managed to complete the same challenge 17 times in 30 minutes.
*sniff* I love this thread soo much...
I saw that, nearly chocked on Bacon lmao

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
I was hoping that they gave them a "noob title" or something. Where some people have the halo 1,2,3 or ODST logo they could have a logo that says noob. :p

Axelord FTW

Mar 11, 2010
I'd like to point out this too;

Right now, with the rank cap, people can only go up to Lt Colonel grade 3. You need 540k credits for that. Meaning, at worse, people lost a bit over half a million credits. The credit requirement to earn the highest rank in reach is 20 000 000.

Meaning (again), at worse you were set back by less than 3 percent of the required credit needed to reach the max rank. About as much as I spend on toilet paper (not really, just an image).

People making a drama out of this;
"I SPENT WEEKS GETTING THOSE CREDITS! I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO RANK UP CORRECTLY ANYMORE!"

Jamielordofgingers

Aug 5, 2009
another excellent comeback here, taken from page 52

Posted by: NinjaHippo
Tell me about it. I got 90% of my ranks legit, i only did it one time and i'm banned. :/

Posted by: thesmiter2
If I spent 90% of the time at a party not having sex with the sorority slut, and then spent 10% of the time performing the aforementioned action, would it be fair for me to complain to God or the universe or whoever, that I contracted an STD or two? I wasn't boinking her the other 90% of the time, after all...

Jamielordofgingers

Aug 5, 2009
OctalLord said:
Blind Sight said:
Wakefield said:
Blind Sight said:
I take back my quote of the day, instead the winner is that girl who random shows up on like page 50. Immature guys try to troll her and she absolutely destroys them with comebacks. Much respect.
Man I want to see that. But I can't find it.
Can't remember the exact page but it's past 50 for sure.

Couldn't you just go into your history and fish out a link?

Ah well. Time to get digging.*Grabs shovel.*
page 52, second from bottom. have fun

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Digikid said:
ProtoChimp said:
Warrior Irme said:
Tom Goldman said:
Haven't players of online games on Xbox Live learned by now that abusing exploits and glitches will only lead them into the depths of despair?
Judging by the lack of enforcement of any kind in MW2 I think it's safe to say that people expected more of the same from Bungie, but are now seeing they were wrong to think so.
Quite. And Bungie are mostly forgiven for their past sins (ODST). Good on ya Bungie.
Hey now. ODST was a GOOD GAME.
Eh... without wanting to start an argument I have to say the gameplay was boring, the story was flat and unintersting, the cutscenes were very badly animated and look like something of off robot chicken (which I'll admit aren't my words but I can't remember who first made the comparison) the graphics were average at best, the soundtrack totally didn't fit with the game at all (okay at night saxophone was cool but not in the middle of a fight in the action segments), the characters were tiresome boring sterotypes, the voice actors were good but they really phoned it in, I didn't feel any urgency like I was supposed to I was just bored, VERY VERY BORED! And don't think I just can't appreciate the mood because I bloody loved Shadow of the collosus, Ico, Braid and Limbo. Firefight was kind of fun but there was no reason to not be able to play with strangers like you could with ANY OF THE LAST GAMES! And putting the Halo 3 maps in dosen't count. If I want to play the Halo 3 maps. I'LL FUCKING PLAY THEM ON HALO 3!

Hang on weren't you the guy that showed me Boobs and Kittens?

Daniel Matthews

Apr 6, 2010
Lol thats pretty funny tbh. At least it does serve them people who dont want to play fair right.

Its a shame its not as brutal as Blizzard with the Banhammer.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
I have mixed feelings on this...

While I'm really glad that Bungie is taking a hard stance against cheaters, the racking up of extra credits by loopholes (reseting the daily challenges) in the system doesn't really seem like "cheating" to me. I mean, I guess technically it is, but the way I see it is, the focus should be on people who's cheating harms other players' gaming experience, like modding or other things that give one player an unfair advantage over another player (other then skill of course).

If it was like MW2 where EXP gives you extra weapons and abilities, I would agree, but the credits in Reach are basically worthless to gameplay, only adding cosmetic changes to the player.

My point is, as long as Bungie is keeping most of its cheater detecting resources toward the harmful cheaters, I'm fine with it. I just don't want them to miss out on harmful cheating because they are too busy doing this.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
clutch-monkey said:
is there somewhere where you can find the bannable offences? the first post there is a little vague, people keep mentioning some target designator thing/ONI sword base and other random shit.
http://www.bungie.net/ban

The target designator thing isn't the reason these folks got banned... Bungie has already 'fessed up that farming it in the Campaign mode (as it's the fastest way to get large-volume multiple kills, and hence cR multipliers) is possible without using exploits, and so isn't on the ban/reset list as it's their fault.

These guys had their credits/ranks reset because they were using network manipulation, which is Numero Uno on the banhammer's target list. There's no way that any reasonable person would consider unplugging their modem multiple times a day, several days a week, to be "normal" game play.

As for this not affecting other players, Bungie has said that it devalues the reward system behind ranks and credits... like counterfeit art drives down the value of the originals unless challenged. I agree, personally, and I also think that people monkeying with their modems to gain unfair advantages (even if only cosmetic) makes online gaming worse for everyone else. (It may even affect the "host record" that the matchmaking servers keep to pair up players with compatible networking, which would certainly affect other players. But I don't know that's the case; that's me musing, not anything I've heard/read from Bungie.)

-- Steve

PS: The sweet, sweet part of this is that their ranks have been reset but their Commendations have not. Earning Commendations nets as many cR as (sometimes more than!) the Challenges these guys cheated on, and now they've all been made worthless... way to go, cheaters!

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
Wardnath said:
GuerrillaClock said:
<quote=Cheaty McCheatington> BUNGIE STANDS FOR BUTT-HOLES UNITED,GAAYY INTERCOURSE EXTREME
^Probably my favourite post from that thread so far. The imagination some of these crying kids have is amazing.
I just realised that there's no "N" in there. Where's the "N"?

Edit: I always find it hilarious that straight people over the Internet often spend more time thinking about gays than actual gays do. XD
I think he tried to claim that the N was actually in the 2nd letter of UNited after he was called out on his fail. He then continued to rage and cry in hilarious fashion, like 80% of the posters on that thread. I'm having a hard time picking out all my favourite responses, I can see this thread becoming some new meme or something.