Bungie Wants Destiny to Have Star Wars' Cultural Impact

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Grabehn said:
Make something good because you want to make something good, not because you want it to be as popular as something else,
And here it is, my thunder stolen away from me. You'd have to have something good but, in the case of star wars popularity, also get insanely lucky in this day and age. Also, a story is probably better remembered than something that is an open sandbox with your own story in it.

Sounds like a recipe for getting popular, right? Of course not.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
If they wanted that kind of social impact, they should have started with a medium that has more global widespread adoption than videogames, and even not exclude any of the platforms on the medium.

Good luck with that cultural impact, Bungie.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
And I want £10 Billion and for Scarlett Johansson to become my sex monkey but thats not going to happen either.

Also I just cannot resist posting this.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
No PC release = no PC viral community.

So... no. It's not going to have that impact. A mini-series was made for Halo and that didn't have the same cultural impact as Star Wars.

Games that have had similar impact to Star Wars? Warcraft, Mario & Call of Duty/Battlefield combined.

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
The thing about Star Wars is that when they were filming it, everyone involved expected it to be a huge flop. It was only through a miracle of luck that the movie did well enough to spawn an entire franchise. Setting your goal that high to begin with can only set yourself up for disaster. That doesn't mean they should quit working on something they want to make. It just means they should set a more realistic goal for themselves. After all, if you expect the maximum greatest outcome, there's no way for you to exceed your expectations.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
4RM3D said:
XXX Wants YYY to Have Star Wars' Cultural Impact

Rinse and repeat...
Yeah, it's another term for "Halo Killer" or "WoW Killer," except it can be applied more broadly (most movies probably aren't going to try and be Halo Killers).

No shock. They're aiming big.

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
StewShearer said:
Bungie COO Pete Parsons thinks that Destiny can achieve more than Halo

"We like to tell big stories and we want people to put the Destiny universe on the same shelf they put Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter or Star Wars," said Bungie COO Pete Parsons. "I also would like the power to turn invisible at will. A pony wouldn't go amiss, while we're at it. And can someone rub my feet? Normally my girlfriend does it, but she's not here right now. You don't know her -- she's from Canada. I met her over summer vacation."
--Morology!

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Pinkamena said:

Yeah good luck with that.
^LMAO!

That was exactly my reaction upon reading this, good thing I wasn't drinking anything while reading that headline. While I do feel secure in thinking Destiny will be a great game I can't help but feel they are putting the cart before the horse with a statement like that. Whats next? are they going to start announcing multiple sequels before they even release the first game claiming they have such an amazing product that they want to share with the world?

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
SO they want it to be rife with corporate meddling & design by committee and make it a hit with the geek community, then when its original author gets free artistic range it will be derided and hated for years by its followers.

Where as the opposite happens, then its Star Trek

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAno. Not happening. You say you want it to happen it's not happening.

Alternately, the following:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0[/youtube]

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
You need to do better than ripping off something people already did in a better way, so I don't think Bungie will achieve this ambitious goal.

Star Wars wasn't entirely original, but it took existing ideas and used them to make a believable fictional galaxy. Also, Darth Vader.

Pinkamena said:

Yeah good luck with that.
My reaction exactly.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
I like the attitude. They've said they're drawing inspiration from shows like The Wire and other series of a similar nature. I like the sound of that. If anything I'm expecting them to do something interesting with the gap between multiplayer and MMO.

I like long stories with lots of characters and some deep(ish) lore. I think Bungie can deliver on that. Whether it will be that big? Who knows.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Ceress said:
The cynicism is strong in this thread...
Its approaching the level of anti-Nintendo threads, but it'll never be that bad. If that were to happen I'd have to re-evaluate my time here on the escapist.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Hagi said:
Which, to me, makes it rather even more weird that they're not bringing it out on PC. One of the things that made all the things he mentioned so very big is that they've stuck around in various forms for decades.

And, out of platforms that could run this game, there's really only a single one that has a shelf-life of decades, the PC. Along with the Gameboy it's the only big platform on which you can play games released over a decade ago. And Destiny obviously won't be running on the Gameboy anytime soon.

None of the current big consoles last that long and, if current trends are anything to go by, their future replacements may very well not be backwards compatible. Meaning that between 2020 and 2025 when the next console cycle comes along if this game has managed to make it that far and is still enjoying success it'll be sequel time along with all the risks and possible mistakes that come with that.
THIS. FUCKING. EXACTLY. THIS.^

So yeah, Bungie's trying to have a Star Warsy cultural impact... on 2 videogame consoles that will only last a few years, or a decade at most.

If they're serious about bringing this thing to as many people as possible, they seriously need to consider the PC, or they'll simply be having to port the game onto the next-next gen consoles, if there's ever going to be one in the first place.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
When developers shell out the latest obvious cash grab made to appeal to nothing but the unwashed sheep, you guys line up in droves to stare down your noses in disgust, but when someone actually states intent to make something that means something greater to the audience than that, something that people talk about decades from now instead of forget about within a year's time, you yuck it up with your tired image macros.

At any rate, intent was the key word up there, and that's more than we get from most people, but to paraphrase the franchise they're setting as their goal, intent is all fine and good, but it won't mean anything if they don't put out something grand to match.

I'll be interested to see if you're up to the task, Mr. Parsons.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
ReinWeisserRitter said:
When developers shell out the latest obvious cash grab made to appeal to nothing but the unwashed sheep, you guys line up in droves to stare down your noses in disgust, but when someone actually states intent to make something that means something greater to the audience than that, something that people talk about decades from now instead of forget about within a year's time, you yuck it up with your tired image macros.

At any rate, intent was the key word up there, and that's more than we get from most people, but to paraphrase the franchise they're setting as their goal, intent is all fine and good, but it won't mean anything if they don't put out something grand to match.

I'll be interested to see if you're up to the task, Mr. Parsons.
Thank you. Honestly that's the most frustrating thing about comments on news articles on this website. Nothing ever gets more than a couple positive remarks, which are quickly drowned in circle-jerking negativity.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
The PC is the most appropriate platform for MMO games ... which might be why they aren't bringing this to the PC. Lets say it got successful ... the more organized players would all move to the PC and the console version would get a negative reputation. The console gamers would be deemed scrubs, if they didn't join the master race this might cause them to drop the game outright. So I can see why Bungie might not want to support the PC if they think they can make a console MMO a long lasting success (they're idiots if they think so, but I can understand the thought process).

Either that or Microsoft is simply strongarming (through the contracts they signed to get their freedom) or paying them to keep PC gaming down.

CTYR

Mar 25, 2012
Ya know, Bungie, you may want to take a look at this old Jimquisition video, here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7121-Dark-Souls-and-Dark-Sales

Yeah... I don't believe I need to restate what our own beautiful Mr. Sterling has so eloquently put in his video, there.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Eh. I wouldn't get my hopes up that high personally.

But hey, it's nice to see someone with ambition.