Bungie Won't Leave Halo: Reach Players in the Cold

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Bungie Won't Leave Halo: Reach Players in the Cold

Bungie might be looking to get away from the Halo franchise, but it's not going to forget about it right away.

Don't be too worried about company of Activision [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75976], Halo: Reach players won't be abandoned like an ugly duckling.

In an interview with Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/features/871/The-Develop-Interview-Bungies-Next-Chapter], Bungie community director Brian Jarrard said: "Microsoft still owns the Halo IP - but we will still support Reach post-release and we have a great relationship with our community, so we want to make sure we keep the game going."

Bungie has stated that it expects Reach to be the definitive Halo title, so it's nice that they won't be giving up on it like they were forced to for Halo 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100219-Halo-2-Players-Refuse-to-Leave-Xbox-Live]. According to Jarrard: "There will be some portion of the studio focused on Halo: Reach ... But beyond that we will not be working on any more Halo - we will be completely focused on bringing our next universe to light."

"From there Microsoft will take the Halo universe in the direction they see fit," he reveals. He also says Bungie is "approaching Reach as our final Halo game" and that it is "[pulling] out all the stops," though the developer is definitely looking forward to doing something new over at Activision. Still, it appears that Halo will always be in Bungie's hearts, even though it's going to be left in the past like Marathon. For now at least, if xxNoobKillerxx is exploiting a cheat, Bungie will be there to help.

Source: Vg247 [http://www.develop-online.net/features/871/The-Develop-Interview-Bungies-Next-Chapter]

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Well that's great!

Im glad that they are going to continue to support Reach even after they leave.

Im interested to see what the next "Universe" they talked about is.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Stubee said:
Why do pieces of shit like FF and Zelda get a bajillion sequels and we get stuck with only 4 Halo games :( That makes me a saaaaaaad panda
The same could be argued for Halo. Everything after Halo 1 imo is a piece of shit. FF 7 and Ocarina of Time are gaming masterpieces, check those out.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Hey, I don't cheat! Stop talking badly about my gamertag!

Nah, but seriously, I was kinda hoping for the Halo franchise to continue, cause it shows a series with potential that isn't that bad. But it's nice to see that the Halo fans won't be completely left out.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Stubee said:
Why do pieces of shit like FF and Zelda get a bajillion sequels and we get stuck with only 4 Halo games :( That makes me a saaaaaaad panda
you dare speak ill of zelda, I demand satisfaction, fisticuffs at dawn you blagard

Doomsday11

Apr 15, 2010
Worgen said:
Stubee said:
you dare speak ill of zelda, I demand satisfaction, fisticuffs at dawn you blagard
Insult my precious final fantasy and androgynous teenagers would you,for that good sir I shale have your head on-guard(stabs Stubee in the stomach)

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
Good-o. Reach is looking pretty snazoodly, but we'll have to check up on that tomorrow, dontchaknow?

Sinister Minister

May 20, 2009
Stubee said:
The fact that you say Ocarina of Time is an atrocity but say Halo is better makes your opinion invalid.

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
halo reach is looking quite fun at this point in time. The move to a health bar makes me excited

RadicalDreamer90

May 11, 2009
Sinister Minister said:
Stubee said:
The fact that you say Ocarina of Time is an atrocity but say Halo is better makes your opinion invalid.
Lmao I cuncur. Halo doesn't get many points for story, only presentation and entertainment value. RPGS go a completely different route then shooters, and I guarantee if one were to be graded like the other they wouldn't be very popular.

If Bungie couldn't make exciting multi player and online play, halo would be terrible. A short game with a mute autistic man who never takes off his work cloths is a terrible antagonist, and done in just about every genre, but not many people play shooters for stories, as oppose to RPGS. RPGS fall apart when more than one person is involved half the time, and its centered around story and exploration so they both have weaknesses and faults.

However, I'll take a good story with limited gameplay, over a mediocre story with active gameplay any day. A whore with earth shaking titties and a nice ass is great at night, but when she's nothing more than eye candy in the morning you don't have much to do with her for the rest of the day.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Well cool on them to keep some support for Reach. I'm kinda surprised Microsoft is letting them do that.
Odds are good Activision is drooling at the thought of talking Bungie into doing a CoD game. But as long as Bungie keeps a string between it and Activision and not a chain, then it's all good. Means Bungie will have more control over what they make and won't have Kotick drooling over their shoulder.

You can thank me later for that image. :D

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Stubee said:
Lets be honest here. FF/Zelda. Generally regarded as masterpieces in any gaming circle. Zelda's never reputed to have had a bad game aside from Zelda II, FF6 is generally regarded as one of the finest RPGs of all time, Ocarina of Time, generally regarded as one of the best games of all time, was a revolutionary game in terms of game play and graphics at the time, and all of the subsequent games have been received with much critical/commercial success.

Besides, what reason could there be to KEEP pushing Halo games, 4 is good enough for a series centered around "one" story (The Covenant versus Earth), if they just kept making them, you've only got so much story to tell, especially in a game with such terribly flat characters, Cortana was the character with the most character and she was an AI, if they just kept making them, it'd eventually stagnate.

Some FF characters are a bit...dodgy in terms of character, but each story is new, so y'know, they are essentially just making RPGs, and calling them all Final Fantasy, there's nothing that links them together at all, it's just brand image. They've all been very strong games, same as Zelda, so there's no reason not to keep making them, (given at least in FF, they can keep making new stories and characters) not that I'm saying Halo is bad as a series, it's a strong shooter and it plays well, just that it wouldn't benefit from OVERstorytelling in the long run.

RadicalDreamer90 said:
-snip

If Bungie couldn't make exciting multi player and online play, halo would be terrible. A short game with a mute autistic man who never takes off his work cloths is a terrible antagonist, and done in just about every genre, but not many people play shooters for stories, as oppose to RPGS. RPGS fall apart when more than one person is involved half the time, and its centered around story and exploration so they both have weaknesses and faults.
As much as it's nice for you to point out Zelda being better than Halo, stating that Halos character is mute and using Zelda as an example is a pretty bad idea. Master Chief does in fact speak, Link does not, and neither of them change clothes either. And it's PROtagonist.

Apr 28, 2008
tellmeimaninja said:
soapyshooter said:
Stubee said:
The same could be argued for Halo. Everything after Halo 1 imo is a piece of shit. FF 7 and Ocarina of Time are gaming masterpieces, check those out.
And in my opinion Halo is fun and FF7 and Ocarina of Time are over rated atrocities.

And now that Microsoft has their hands on it, good-bye, the fun of Halo.
I actually agree on the Ocarina of Time thing.

I haven't played FF7 so I can't comment on it, but I didn't like OoT very much.

But I loved Majora's Mask.

OT: When they say "support", do they mean support as in DLC and stuff, or support as in keeping the servers running?

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Halo, Final Fantasy, and Zelda are ALL amazing series. Does it really matter which one each person thinks is better?