Burger King Offering Android Smartphone with a Side of Fries

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
Burger King Offering Android Smartphone with a Side of Fries

To celebrate their new smartphone app, Burger King is offering a wide range of phones for free through a special promotion.

Global fast food restaraunt chain Burger King has a new smartphone app available for Android users, and the company is running a special offer [http://www.bk.com/android] to promote its release. For a limited time, customers can receive a free Android powered phone with a new or pre-existing 2 year contract with either Sprint, AT&T, or Verizon.

The phones offered are limited by their providers, and the selection [http://burgerking.ordermysmartphone.com/shop/] includes models like the LG Optimus G Pro, The Samsung Galaxy S4, and the HTC One M7. When purchasing, BK redirects customers to Amazon to complete the transaction and the cheapest individual plan is about $55 per month for 250MB of data. All purchases are subject to possible credit checks, activation fees, early termination fees, and deposits. The deal is currently online only and cannot be completed from a Burger King location.

The Burger King app [https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.emn8.mobilem8.nativeapp.bk&hl=en] offers a variety of coupons, a restaurant locator, a menu, and mobile payments for certain locations. This isn't the first time a fast food chain has dabbled with smartphone apps, but it is the first time one has sold phones for the sole purpose of helping people answer the question "do you want fries with that?".

Interesting in buying a new phone through this promotion? Leave a comment and share what model you're interested in.

Source: Cnet [http://www.cnet.com/news/whopper-of-a-burger-king-deal-a-side-of-free-smartphone/] via Burger King

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Ugh.

I am so sick of these "get a phone free(if you sign a contract)" 'promotions'.

You pay off the price of the phone via the contract and you end up paying quite a lot on top of that; not really a 'free' phone, is it?

Perhaps I'm still one of those oldguard people who uses a phone's internet capabilities only when I'm connected to a network, but I personally find a pay-as-you-go arrangement more convenient and plain better.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
This reminds me of a scam letter my mum got telling her she'd been entered into a free prize draw where she was guaranteed to win something - and you had to fread the fine print to find that the overwhelming majority of prizes were mobile phones with something like a £300/year contract.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Ugh.

You pay off the price of the phone via the contract and you end up paying quite a lot on top of that; not really a 'free' phone, is it?

Perhaps I'm still one of those oldguard people who uses a phone's internet capabilities only when I'm connected to a network, but I personally find a pay-as-you-go arrangement more convenient and plain better.
I agree, personally I think it should be illegal for them to advertise the phones as "free" and make it clear that the contract fee includes a credit plan for the cost of the phone. Anyone getting a new contract should always consider the length of the contract, its monthly fee and the cost of the phone sim free to see what kind of value they are getting.

Not with you on the pay as go though, in my mind its much more convenient to just pay a bill than having to keep topping up the credit. Plus I like having a flat £40 per month for unlimited calls, texts and data so aside from the contract fee I don't have a "bill" at all. Different users have different needs and demands though so I understand why people are happy with PAYG, its just bad value for me.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
J Tyran said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Ugh.

I agree, personally I think it should be illegal for them to advertise the phones as "free" and make it clear that the contract fee includes a credit plan for the cost of the phone. Anyone getting a new contract should always consider the length of the contract, its monthly fee and the cost of the phone sim free to see what kind of value they are getting.

Not with you on the pay as go though, in my mind its much more convenient to just pay a bill than having to keep topping up the credit. Plus I like having a flat £40 per month for unlimited calls, texts and data so aside from the contract fee I don't have a "bill" at all. Different users have different needs and demands though so I understand why people are happy with PAYG, its just bad value for me.
I can live with that. I still use my phone purely for its SMS and call functions, and even then only when its important to do so. I also live right next to the high street, so top-up isn't an issue for me.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
This has to be one of the most useless ways to promote I've seen in a while.

What does BK really even do in this scenario? Exactly what they would've done anyway if you had asked them where the nearest ATT store was.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
J Tyran said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Ugh.

I can live with that. I still use my phone purely for its SMS and call functions, and even then only when its important to do so. I also live right next to the high street, so top-up isn't an issue for me.
PAYG makes sense for really light use in many respects even though you can get some great sim only deals from some of the networks, which are great for people that don't want a new phone and cost £5 for 100 minutes, unlimited texts and 100MB data is pretty good value.

Many of my friends and family put £5-10 a week in PAYG credit and are always worried about burning it up for obvious reasons, I pay £10 a week and can use my phone as much as I want, data too and you know how much that can cost and having mobile internet without caps is what I really want.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
false advertisement laws should really get on and amend the problem that causes this. if you have to pay for it its not free. you should not be able to claim it is free, as that is false advertisement.

capcha: I am Capcha!

Its self aware.....