Burton's Busts

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Well, seeing as Burton's Batman actually felt like "Batman" compaired to Nolan's terrorist-subtext cyber-Batman, I'd have to say that you are absolutely full off sh- your own opinion.
If by that you mean, "burton's, and subsequently Schumacher's Batman movies felt like Batman in the same sense that the 1960's Adam west batman felt like batman" and nolan's "feels like something far more real, and more akin to the comics of the modern era", then sure.

unwesen said:
Burton's version was copying from both the cheesy TV version and the grittier comic books that had been published in the meantime. That is probably why, as you put it, "the pop-cultural importance of Burton's Batman can't be overestimated": it's always appeared to me to intentionally move the Batman franchise away from the silly caped crusader the mass market was used to from TV, without submitting the same mass market to a full-blown Frank Miller Splatterfest. It's either a masterpiece, or there was a ton of luck involved in timing and the exact design, and knowing Burton's other movies, I'd put more money on the former.

On the other hand it's fair to say that it hasn't aged terribly well; in part, that's because it was successful at bringing superheroes to the big screen. Of course the Dark Knight looks more contemporary; people have now been watching the same old superhero story for so long they again needed a fresh look, and the Dark Knight attempts just that. This is probably the first time we're made to forget that the main character dresses up as a bat, where we can take him entirely seriously and can be just a little scared of how far he can go in his quest for his version of justice.
I wholly agree with this assessment. It was, in fact, the realization that Schumacher's Batman & Robin was essentially a 90's era revisit of the 60's tv show that made me realize what exactly had gone on with the series.

-m

azazellee

Feb 22, 2010
I think Burton is done. Not done making movies, they sell too well for that. But he's done making good movies. I was angry the second I heard he was making an Alice film, and even more angry when I heard Depp was in it. I love Depp, but he needs to cut the cord before Burton drags him down with him. Another of Depp's friends is attempting to make an Alice film, and he sure could have used Depp's star power to help the project.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Burton just needs to find a good writer to shepherd him. Guide his random scenes into a more coherent overall story.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
"Planet of the Apes" was a Time Burton movie? The hell? I don't even recall hearing Burton's name being mentioned during the marketing for that movie, which in hindsight I suppose is somewhat telling.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
Wow, both Batman movies (which were great, but then, I'm a Michael Keaton fan) were mentioned, but Big Fish was considered a masterpiece? I scratch my head every time I hear that movie mentioned in hushed, reverent tones by film critics. To me, that one should be on the list with Apes and Charlie. It was dull, plodding Oscar bait and little more.

azazellee

Feb 22, 2010
I don't remember Planet of the Apes very well, but I seem to recall enjoying it. Maybe it's just my love for completely random and meaningless endings.

Charlie, however, was a pile of crap.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Holy shit, I did forget about Planet of the Apes... and it was baaaaaad.

Though I think Burton's style is still too much chained to the early 90's, where it was a novel change from the neon-colored 80's and really be latched on by the proto-goths and lesser by the emos (which was called 'grunge' at the time). I think the kiddies today want their own burton movie like the late 20 somethings had. Or somthing. I could care less since I never was mall-goth the style's become somewhat annoying now that it's Burton's 'signature' that HAS to be in every movie regardless of what it is because he's making it.

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
Le Tueur said:
I've skipped almost all of Burton's movies, I can't really understand why, like Bay, he gets so much hype behind his movies.
I agree. I've seen alot of his movies, but they just don't seem as earth-shattering as people profess. Same with Micheal Bay.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
I also didn't know that Burton made Plante of the Apes. Anyway, I hate Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I hate for all the reasons that Bod mentioned, but I also hate it because it didn't have the Half Room. I love the fucking Half Room! While I do like The Nightmare Before Christmas and Batman, I usually don't care for most of Burton's films. Also, is he trying to ruin Johnny Depp's career? I know that isn't possible after Depp's beyond magnificent performance as Jack Sparrow, but Burton appears to be trying his hardest to do so; at least with Charlie and Alice.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
wasn't there supposed to be FOUR others? There are only 3 (four including alice) where's the fifth?

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
Casual Shinji said:
Well, seeing as Burton's Batman actually felt like "Batman" compaired to Nolan's terrorist-subtext cyber-Batman, I'd have to say that you are absolutely full off sh- your own opinion.
If by that you mean, "burton's, and subsequently Schumacher's Batman movies felt like Batman in the same sense that the 1960's Adam west batman felt like batman" and nolan's "feels like something far more real, and more akin to the comics of the modern era", then sure.

unwesen said:
Burton's version was copying from both the cheesy TV version and the grittier comic books that had been published in the meantime. That is probably why, as you put it, "the pop-cultural importance of Burton's Batman can't be overestimated": it's always appeared to me to intentionally move the Batman franchise away from the silly caped crusader the mass market was used to from TV, without submitting the same mass market to a full-blown Frank Miller Splatterfest. It's either a masterpiece, or there was a ton of luck involved in timing and the exact design, and knowing Burton's other movies, I'd put more money on the former.

On the other hand it's fair to say that it hasn't aged terribly well; in part, that's because it was successful at bringing superheroes to the big screen. Of course the Dark Knight looks more contemporary; people have now been watching the same old superhero story for so long they again needed a fresh look, and the Dark Knight attempts just that. This is probably the first time we're made to forget that the main character dresses up as a bat, where we can take him entirely seriously and can be just a little scared of how far he can go in his quest for his version of justice.
I wholly agree with this assessment. It was, in fact, the realization that Schumacher's Batman & Robin was essentially a 90's era revisit of the 60's tv show that made me realize what exactly had gone on with the series.

-m
Burton has famously gone on the record to state that he did absolutely no research on the character of Batman prior to making those films, and has never read a single Batman comic. So he wasn't trying to adapt squat from them. It's not faithful to the source material because he never READ that material.

Feb 13, 2008
Tim Burton is like Tim Schafer. (Tim and Tim again?)

When they're good, they're very, very good, but when they're bad, they're horrid.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I don't think "doesn't age well" is a really valid in determining if a movie was good or not. Lots of movies that were good for their times don't age well, that is just the nature of things.

I thought Michael Keaton did a good job as a more mature batman, who is was comfortable with both his Burce Wayne and Batman personas. Where as Christian Bale is playing a younger Wayne who is trying a little too hard but is also more intense.

Batman Returns was meh all around. It was visually more Tim Burton but at the expense of story coherence. The whole "catwoman got her powers by falling off a building" was really dumb.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I partially agree with these, though I did enjoy the Batman films, they were a bit silly but very imaginative. I think most of those movies are simply there for the spectacle and to entertain, not every film needs to have a deep narrative and complex structure and/or plot.

I personally like Burtons films because you can just escape into a weird world for an hour and just relax, much like Hayao Miyazaki's works, they are mad concepts sometimes, but very entertaining none-the-less

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Matt_LRR said:
Casual Shinji said:

unwesen said:

-m
Burton has famously gone on the record to state that he did absolutely no research on the character of Batman prior to making those films, and has never read a single Batman comic. So he wasn't trying to adapt squat from them. It's not faithful to the source material because he never READ that material.
Be that as it may, and unwitting as it may have been - he ended up creating a film that incorporated elements of both the comics of the time and the Adam West series, and coupled it with exactly the right aesthetic.

-m

iddstar

Oct 29, 2009
I sometimes worry that I'm the only person who DIDN'T think that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the batman movies were great big piles of poop.
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Matt_LRR said:
Casual Shinji said:

unwesen said:

-m
Good grief I can't believe you're actually defending Burton's shocking lack of respectful research into the subject he was about to internationally insult by a lack of adaption. The
"hey man, I didn't know ok!" approach doesn't work so well when you're creating muitimillion dollar movies presenting the title that so many thousands of people know and love.

And also.....I sometimes worry that I'm the only person who DIDN'T think that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the batman movies were great big piles of poop. It's comforting to know I'm not alone.

Planet of the Apes at least, EVERYONE knows is crap.

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
Warachia said:
wasn't there supposed to be FOUR others? There are only 3 (four including alice) where's the fifth?
Batman
Batman Returns
Planet of the Apes
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Alice in Wonderland

Yep, that's five. Seems like Burton's worst films are adaptations. Of course, some of his better ones are also adaptations, so there we are.