Busted Police Chief Admits He Stole Xbox 360s

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Busted Police Chief Admits He Stole Xbox 360s

A former police chief has pled guilty after an FBI sting caught him pilfering stolen Xboxes.

Now, logically, if something has been stolen once, then it can't be stolen again, right? Wrong. As former East Saint Louis police Chief Michael Baxton found out to his cost.

Back in October of last year, the FBI, acting on information from an unnamed officer, set up a test for Baxton. They took a federal vehicle, bought five 360s, stuck them in the trunk, then reported the car stolen.

Baxton and an unnamed sidekick, who just so happened to be the same officer who'd reported Baxton's misconduct in the first place now equipped with covert surveillance gear, responded to the call.

When he found the gaming systems, instead of checking them into evidence as per police procedure, Baxton instead decided to invoke the ancient, unwritten law of 'finders keepers.' Baxton told the other officer to put four of the 360s in his trunk and to help himself to the remaining unit. Baxton advised the officer to destroy the box it came in.

Baxton faces a potential 15 years in prison and a fine of up to $500,000 for lying to federal agents when he was first arrested. According to U.S Attorney Steve Wigginton, Baxton, who was convicted of theft and burglary back in 1982, yet somewhow still managed to make police chief, initially tried to frame another officer for the thefts. Classy.

Source: BND.com [http://www.bnd.com/2012/01/19/2022918/baxton-pleads-guilty-to-stealing.html]

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Grey Carter said:
According to U.S Attorney Steve Wigginton, Baxton, who was convicted of theft and burglary back in 1982, yet somewhow still managed to make police chief, initially tried to frame another officer for the thefts. Classy.
There are people who have DUI violations literally in the double digits and they still have valid licenses and are allowed to drive.

I don't understand how things like this happen. Is there some kind of "Everyone deserves a second chance...and third..and fourth...and twenty-sixth..." law that I don't know about?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Eh, gets what he deserves for attempted power abuse really. After all a 360 doesnt cost so much that a police chief would be unable to afford one.

So how did Baxton, with his record, become a police chief to begin with?

Ill just assume no other candidates until someone comes out with the bribe accusations.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Grey Carter said:
When he found the gaming systems, instead of checking them into evidence as per police procedure, Baxton instead decided to invoke the ancient, unwritten law of 'finders keepers.'
Amused Toombs is amused. Well said, Grey Carter!

I'm quite pleased that this guy was caught. For some reason, I'm not a fan of police abusing their authority.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
gigastar said:
Eh, gets what he deserves for attempted power abuse really. After all a 360 doesnt cost so much that a police chief would be unable to afford one.

So how did Baxton, with his record, become a police chief to begin with?

Ill just assume no other candidates until someone comes out with the bribe accusations.
He was obviously going to sell them.

Even more obviously, it wasn't worth it, risking his job and multiple years in prison for less than a grand in electronics.

RooksEye

Mar 17, 2009
Sounds like something that would happen in my town....all the cops are crooked.

Surprised he made chief though. Either they weren't paying attention or a bribe happened. Only way I can see it.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I hope they did something worthwhile with the 360s since they bought them whether they them up in an FBI lounge room at work or just donated them to needed kids, rather than just sitting and using them to draw out more idiots and potentially lose them.

yeah, thats how unsurprised I am about this. BUt then again, I've seen world's dumbest... before.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
What a Magnificent Bastard. Convicted for felony theft, still makes Police Chief and not only goes on stealing but does so brazenly in front of other subordinates shoring his spoils with him and then tries to accuse others after having been caught on tape.

Zedar0

Should probably make use of this
Aug 12, 2009
East St. Louis, you say? I'm not terribly surprised. I live close to Actual St. Louis myself, and it's always been my understanding that....well, you just don't go there. Not the nicest place in the world.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
"Baxton and an unnamed sidekick, who just so happened to be the same officer who'd reported Baxton's misconduct in the first place now equipped with covert surveillance gear, responded to the call."

So basically this news story outs the guy who got him in legal trouble? Hope he's not big on murdering the guy who just got him 15 years in prison.

Figured I'd post it here as well as facebook comments :p.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Hmm, so you can have a criminal record and be a police chief, but if you support immigration you're likely to get fired on the spot?

My faith in the police is quickly dropping...

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Zedar0 said:
East St. Louis, you say? I'm not terribly surprised. I live close to Actual St. Louis myself, and it's always been my understanding that....well, you just don't go there. Not the nicest place in the world.
Which is sad cause I lived there in the 90s and it was a rather family-oriented town back then...

RooksEye

Mar 17, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Cops are just people, and some people are assholes.
RooksEye said:
Sounds like something that would happen in my town....all the cops are crooked.

Surprised he made chief though. Either they weren't paying attention or a bribe happened. Only way I can see it.
It's East Saint Lois so... yes
See, the funny thing is, I live in a town of around 10,000 and this stuff happens with the cops pretty regularly. It's gotten better in the last couple of years, but still pretty bad. I've only passed through St. Louis (not sure which part), but I don't need to go back.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I guess the Police Chief...
*puts on sunglasses*
...wanted to be Master Chief!
YEAAAAAHHHHHHH!

Sorry about that, couldn't resist...

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
theultimateend said:
"Baxton and an unnamed sidekick, who just so happened to be the same officer who'd reported Baxton's misconduct in the first place now equipped with covert surveillance gear, responded to the call."

So basically this news story outs the guy who got him in legal trouble? Hope he's not big on murdering the guy who just got him 15 years in prison.

Figured I'd post it here as well as facebook comments :p.
They'd have to show to surveillance footage in court, it'd be fairly obvious to Baxton where it came from don't you think?

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Typical day in the life of an officer of the law; assuming the laws don't apply to him to.

Thankfully there's at least one honest cop left around.. who will now be driven out by his fellow officers cause they know he has some integrity and will actually report on when they flagrantly break the laws they're supposed to uphold.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Grey Carter said:
They'd have to show to surveillance footage in court, it'd be fairly obvious to Baxton where it came from don't you think?
If he sees it in court wouldn't he then (likely) be prosecuted and then sent to jail? Or is there leeway time where convicted criminals can go out and have fun?

Secondly, is he in custody right now? If so then gravy, if not then hope they jacked his internet.

I don't >actually< think he'll kill the guy, I just find it funny that before he's sentenced the guy who ratted him out is published online :p.