Button-Using Kinect "Hybrids" On the Way

Splunge

Cautiously Optimistic
May 4, 2009
OK, so what they're saying is they can combine motion tracking with controller precision. I don't see the conflict. How about sitting in front of the TV, playing a game, and having the view on the screen change according to the angle or direction your head is pointing? There is nothing that says you have to take your hands off the controller to use the Kinect, only that you can incorporate gestures, either grand or subtle, into the gameplay along with the button pressing.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
I can't imagine how this would work -- the easiest movements to identify would presumably be wide arm movements but your arms will be holding a controller. The whole PSWii and Wii60 knockoff fad may likely turn out to be as pointlessly gimmicky and frustrating as the original. The games that by my impression were the most successful, Smash Bros Brawl and Super Mario Galaxy didn't even bother with them. Honestly this seems like the whole 3-D movie trend, they're only going to work well for games/films that are specifically designed for the sole purpose of using the hardware. I'd rather watch a movie and not be annoyed by glasses or play a game and not be hair ripping-out frustrated by motion controls that will inevitable less accurate and more constrained than regular controllers. The Kinect or however it's spelled that it can imitate wide motions but how is that going to be useful? Image playing say, Call of Duty -- you can't walk because if you moved your body you'd run into the screen or walk out of the camera's field of perception. And how exactly would you fire? Twitch your finger? I'd put a significant amount of money on the bet that it wouldn't be able to reliably pick up that. If you'd say to me that it's not the kind of game that the Kinect would use, I'd say whats the point of making a control system that dictates the kind of games that it can use -- I'm there for the game not the controller.