Buy a 3DS and Smash Bros., Get Another Game Free

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Buy a 3DS and Smash Bros., Get Another Game Free

European Nintendo fans who buy a 3DS and a copy of Smash Bros. or Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire can get a free game.

Do you live in Europe? Have you been holding off getting a 3DS, but are getting increasingly tempted by the new Super Smash Bros. title? Well, this new offer from Nintendo Europe may just push you over the fence. If you buy a 3DS, 2DS or 3DS XL as well as a copy of Super Smash Bros. or Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, and register them with a club Nintendo account, you can get your choice of one of the following games, absolutely free. The games included in the promotion are:

Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Mario Golf: World Tour
Mario Party: Island Tour
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Pokemon Art Academy
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Yoshi's New Island

As you can see, it's not the bargain basement stuff that Nintendo is offering up, but critically acclaimed hits like The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and brand-new releases like Pokemon Art Academy.

The only downside is that this offer unfortunately doesn't seem to extend to those dedicated fans who already own a 3DS, as your 3DS has to be registered between September 11, 2014 and January 12, 2015. Once you have registered both your system and the game, you'll have to head over the the Club Nintendo page and choose your free game by February 12, 2015.

We've reached out to Nintendo America to see if this promotion will also make it way stateside, but for now, you'll only be able to participate with systems purchased in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Austria, France, Spain, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, Portugal, Switzerland, South Africa and Russia.

Source: Nintendo [http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2014/September/Expand-your-collection-of-top-titles-with-the-Nintendo-3DS-Winter-2014-Bonus-Game-Promotion-917410.html]

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Pretty solid deal overall. Especially since the games offered for free are super good. Obviously going to pass on it. I still need to decided whether I'm going to double dip or just get the Wii U smash.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
If you buy a 3DS, 3DS or 3DS XL as well as a copy of Super Smash Bros. or Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, and register them with a club Nintendo account, you can get your choice of one of the following games ...
Pretty sure you meant 2DS back there.

OT: Another pretty good deal from Nintendo. I've got Windwaker HD when I bought Mario Kart 8 and I loved it.
Unfortunately, this deal ain't for me. Even though I'll probably get both Smash Bros, I already got an 3DS XL.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Between this and the improved 3DS, I'm feeling extra stupid for owning an Ambassador system.
Oh wells. As long as Smash bros works with mine, I'll keep mine....barely.

Holy hell have I been tempted to sell it a lot this year.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Pretty great deal! Seems like Nintendo has had a lot of good deals lately, especially this year. It is a very good way to boost console adopters and increase customer feedback through Nintendo Club sign ups.

Hardly anyone mentioned the Super Smashing Sale going on in the Nintendo E-Shop right now:
http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers#week02

I picked up Fire Emblem: Awakening just an hour ago thanks to this offer.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Between this and the improved 3DS, I'm feeling extra stupid for owning an Ambassador system.

I bought one of the ambassadors and then promptly upgraded to an XL when the pikachu one came out. No regrets. You can transfer all the ambassador games to a new system if you get one.

OT: Cool, I have a couple of friends who might well be getting this.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Yeah, that's okay. Leave the deal out of America. It's not like I needed more games anyways, seriously.
Dragonbums said:
Pretty solid deal overall. Especially since the games offered for free are super good. Obviously going to pass on it. I still need to decided whether I'm going to double dip or just get the Wii U smash.
I hear and guess they're all good, but only A Link Between Worlds is great. However, it is mostly 2-dimensional, a turn-off for me when it comes to Zelda.
Monster Hunter could be considered great, but only by players of its niche, myself not included.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Yay, Europe doesn't get screwed over for once. Would be nice if it would be worldwide though, but I can't really complain, seeing as the only game on that list that I don't own/would want is Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour.

Dragonbums said:
You should know that answer by now, and that answer is clearly double dipping. :3
I'm doing that, seeing as the Wii U Smash 4 Complete bundle comes with the new GameCube adapter, a GameCube controller, and the game for $100, which I say is a steal since I get everything I need.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
I wish nintendo would consider giving australia these deals. They seem to hate us, it's still $60 for pokemon black.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I was gonna cry when I saw you needed a console, then I saw that they're either games I have or don't want :p

Still, it's a good deal for newcomers. I'd recommend Kirby: Triple Deluxe. One of the best 2D platformers I've played in a long time.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
Wow, Nintendo, so stingy amirite? /sarcasm

Seriously between this, the Mario Kart 8 free deal, and that free pokemon x or y deal a ways back Nintendo has been just giving tons of stuff away, especially in Europe. Which is great for both them, because they need to move consoles, and us, because free stuff am I right?

That being said, why buy a 3DS now when the new version has already been announced with exclusives?

Anyway, Monster Hunter is the best game on that list, it's a great action game and a deep RPG. It has a lot of unique locations and monsters, but it's mission-based and sometimes grindy, with a very general story. Anyway it's perfect for handheld.

And Man

May 12, 2014
Atmos Duality said:

I have an Ambassador 3DS (which I got at the reduced price because of a sweet Walmart deal), and while I'm a little upset about the New 3DS (and, relatedly, the lack of Circle Pad Pro support for Smash 4), I don't think you can reasonably be upset about this deal. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo do things like this all the time. Hell, most of the time, a couple years after a console release, you get a free game or two just from buying the system alone, without having to buy a game along with it. Plus, we got 20 free games from the Ambassador program, 10 of which aren't available to non-Ambassador 3DS owners, and while I'll admit that some of them are pretty awful now (Yoshi gets boring after about 2 minutes and Mario Kart: Super Circuit has aged like shit, as most racing games tend to IMO) some of them still stand up as great titles, like Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Neronium said:
You should know that answer by now, and that answer is clearly double dipping. :3
Yeah, it's super hard to decide since all of my friends are planning on getting the 3DS version. Perhaps I will get it simply because I was thinking they can all help pitch in to purhcase SSB for the Wii U when it comes out.

I'm doing that, seeing as the Wii U Smash 4 Complete bundle comes with the new GameCube adapter, a GameCube controller, and the game for $100, which I say is a steal since I get everything I need.
I would go for the bundle if I actually had Gamecube controllers....then again my friend has a gamecube on her (mine is at home.) I'm thinking about it...but by then my job will be over and I don't want to sink $100.00 bucks into anything at the moment.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
TheEvilCheese said:
I bought one of the ambassadors and then promptly upgraded to an XL when the pikachu one came out. No regrets. You can transfer all the ambassador games to a new system if you get one.
That, I did not know.
Of course, the only thing I use my 3DS for is playing Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, and listening to MP3s on downtime.
I'm hoping Smash bros 3DS isn't just good, but highly replayable.

And Man said:
I have an Ambassador 3DS (which I got at the reduced price because of a sweet Walmart deal), and while I'm a little upset about the New 3DS (and, relatedly, the lack of Circle Pad Pro support for Smash 4), I don't think you can reasonably be upset about this deal.
You say I can't be reasonably upset, and yet you have provided two perfectly valid reasons.
I know that these companies regularly offer improved versions, though normally said upgrades within generation (like the SP version of the GBA, or the redesigned PSP) don't lock you out of some further games because of hardware upgrades.

Admittedly, I'm grousing more about disappointment in utility than actual anger.
My 3DS was partly an upgrade, but mostly a replacement to my very, very, VERY travel-worn DS.
And it was nice to play through the Minish Cap and both NES Zeldas again without having to resort to emulation or bin-diving.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Sounds good. I held off on 3DS for a long time, but the device itself is still pretty pricey. Not going to change too soon, so a deal like this makes it more palatable to me. I don't want Smash Bros., but according to the Website, there are other games that will allow for this deal, also. I'll wait for the new Pokemon games to come out, buy one and the 3DS (XL maybe?) and then get me some Zelda via the download, I think.