Buy A Warhammer 40k Space Marine Chapter For $11K

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Buy A Warhammer 40k Space Marine Chapter For $11K

Wanna start a collection?

Perhaps you've marched a few crusades in Dawn of War, or read a few Black Library books and decided that it's time to get into this whole Warhammer 40k thing. You've looked at the [a href=http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=9100013]Assault on Black Reach[/a] starter set and decided that it's too simplified. Thankfully, Games Workshop has just the product for you: an [a href=http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440270a&prodId=prod2160196a&_requestid=1340892&_requestid=969786]entire Space Marine chapter[/a], all for a cool $11,690.

Games Workshop is releasing the megapack along with the recently updated codex rulebook and unit lineup. The 1,200 unit set is supposed to represent the Ultramarine chapter as it landed at the Battle of Orar's Sepulchre 888.M41. It includes 10 full companies of Ultramarines, comprised of 39 space marine squads, 13 Dreadnoughts, 11 Land Speeders, and 47 Rhino transports (among many, many others). It also includes new units like the Hunter and Stalker tanks.

While the game's voluminous lore can certainly be enjoyable, half the fun is creating your own Space Marine chapter, complete with backstory and color scheme. However you choose to color it, you're going to need a lot of paint. After you spend the requisite couple hundred hours assembling and painting your eunuch army, you're now ready for a full-scale game of 40k Apocalypse, assuming you can find anyone with enough models to join you.

If you decide to drop a sizable portion of your annual income on this package, Games Workshop will gladly contact you personally to arrange delivery. Where you're going to put it afterwards is your problem.

Source: [a href=http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440270a&prodId=prod2160196a&_requestid=1340892&_requestid=969786]Games Workshop[/a]

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
If I had the 11K to just blow, my reaction would be this "Got any chapters that don't suck as an option? Cuase fuck the Ultra Smurfs"

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
$11,690 for 1200 units?

Not at all precise math means that each unit is 10 bucks.

I'm not sure if that's more or less than the normal prices, but damn is that expensive.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I thought this would be paying $11k to have your chapter added to the lore of the game, was a tad disappointed. Also, isn't a Chapter only 1,000 marines? Why is this one 20% overmanned (probably even more so given how most of vehicles have a crew of 1-3 each)?

shintakie10 said:
$11,690 for 1200 units?

I'm not sure if that's more or less than the normal prices, but damn is that expensive.
I think that would vary per unit, it might be less cost-efficient than buying regular packs for the basic Marines, but it's probably way more cost-efficient for the Tanks, Land Raiders & other vehicles.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Lunar Templar said:
If I had the 11K to just blow, my reaction would be this "Got any chapters that don't suck as an option? Cuase fuck the Ultra Smurfs"
you're always free to make up your own, its what a lot of people do.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Windknight said:
Lunar Templar said:
you're always free to make up your own, its what a lot of people do.
I was planning to make a WAGs chapter...

... but they beat me to it.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
I sold off my Blood Angels years ago for like £200.

I think I had; 5 squads, 3 tanks, a bike squad, a jumper/jetpack squad, 2 landspeeders, about 5 unique leader units including the head Blood Angel and a a small bunch of scenery. I also used to have 2 squads of Dark Eldar for targets.

I probably only ever actually played in Games Workshop like twice in my life.

I suppose I liked the actual building of army more than I liked playing the game.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
I would happily spend 11K if I had it on the Angry Marines and then I would rock each and every local battle.

"These kits comes supplied unpainted and require assembly - we recommend using Citadel Plastic Glue, Citadel Super Glue and Citadel Paints... and you're going to need lots!"
So add the rest of your yearly income to the price along with all your time.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
That's amazing, but why did it have to be Ultrasmurfs?

I want something like a thousand unit Ork army, basically eight or nine hundred Orc figures and a couple of giant crates of random bits to glue onto fifty or so generic chassis and a bunch of big Stompas too. Much more interesting.

Or Tyranids, or Tau, Eldar, Space Wolves...

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
shintakie10 said:
$11,690 for 1200 units?

Its a huge price but you cannot really go by averaging it out per unit, some of the miniatures are fairly large and expensive like the ten (seriously, ten fugging Landraiders!) Landraider models which would be £45 each and the various Gunships (10 in total).

It also comes with some art prints, a copy of the smurfs Codex and a unique art book detailing all the individual heraldry and squad by squad and unit by unit markings for the entire Chapter.

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
You could buy 3D printer and hire an artist to design your own chapter for that much. Its a shame i could probably quite enjoy Warhammer, if not take it seriously, but every time i go and have a look, i just look at the prices and think fuck that.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Jesus. I know that Games Workshop gets a deserved bad rap for pricing models based on their ingame effectiveness rather than quality of workmanship, but this is fucking ludicrous even for them.

The worst part is that I know somebody is obsessive enough to actually buy it.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
When I received the email touting this one a couple of days ago I honestly thought it was a joke, for a moment. There's something grotesque about GW pushing this ludicrous blob of plastic with a straight face, and I say that as someone who's spent a fair amount on 40K models over the last two decades.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Hey, give me a winning lottery ticket, swap to one of the cooler races (Tyranids, Tau, Imperial Guard etc.), offer to assemble and paint them for me (that looks like it'll take one hell of a long time), and you've got a deal my friend!

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Bobic said:
Hey, give me a winning lottery ticket, swap to one of the cooler races (Tyranids, Tau, Imperial Guard etc.), offer to assemble and paint them for me (that looks like it'll take one hell of a long time), and you've got a deal my friend!
Why would you want someone else to assemble your models? It's a miniatures game o_O that's like half the fun.

Yeah this doesn't really allure to me. No one plays games that large, so about 90% of this army would be very light paperweights. I'll stick to small purchases, thank you xP

Glad it's an option for those who like fun shelf displays, though.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
A sad an lousy attempt from GW to stop their plumbeting sales and stop the players from leaving the sinking ship.

Your time's running out GW.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Ferisar said:
Bobic said:
Why would you want someone else to assemble your models? It's a miniatures game o_O that's like half the fun.
Yes, that is half the fun, I know, I had a small tyranid army myself in my teen years. It stops becoming fun, for me at least, when you have to paint 1200 of the things. That's when it becomes a chore.