Buying a PS4, and I need a hand

kaiZie

Dec 17, 2008
So it's finally reached that time of the year where everyone goes mental in the Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sales.

I am looking to pick up a PS4 to replace my very dusty Xbox360 and wanted to ask a few questions.

What games do people recommend and why?

Are there any things i should look out for in terms of accessories?

What deals have people seen around the web to check out?

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Resogun
Infamous Second Son
Infamous First Light
Killzone Shadow Fall

You can add the likes of The Last of Us, Dead Nation, and such if you didn't get them on the PS3.

You want to buy a "recharge station" I suppose they are called where you can place your controllers to charge, the recharge wires in my experience will die after a while and won't last you.
Oh and watch/cut your nails if you have them as you don't want to cut up your sticks.

kaiZie

Dec 17, 2008
oh right - is the analog sticks a bit fragile in the rubber department? Worth getting some grip covers?

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Almost infamously in the left stick in particular messing up. I've heard Sony will exchange them if you push them on the phone, but I have no direct experience with that.
Covers will protect them, but even if it messes up you can always cover them up later so your choice.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
"chops up hand".
Here you go buddy. My right hand. Don't need it much anyways.I am left-handed in all matters. All matters.

Edit: added stuff.

kaiZie

Dec 17, 2008
well im a mere 7 hours from Black Friday and a little bit buzzing. I will take these recommendation on board and go from there. at the very least I can get a good read on all these games. Cheers Rozalia1

evenest

Dec 5, 2009
If you are getting PS+, you can save your money on Infamous Second Light as it'll be free next month with the service. I've enjoyed playing Black Flag and Wolfenstein on the system. Last of Us: Remastered is also worth the money.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hmm, I can't say really. Most of the games I have for it are also available for the previous gen consoles.

If you never had a PS3 (or if you did and are just a big dumb fan like me) I'd recommend picking up The Last of Us Remastered. Same goes for GTA5 if you never got a chance to play that. It looks fucking sick on current gen hardware.

I'd say avoid inFAMOUS: Second Son, but if you never played the original two you might not be as bothered by the downgrade as I was. It's okay, but kind of a weak sidetrack both in story and gameplay.

I hesitantly recommend Dragon Age: Inquisition (under the assumption you haven't already played it on the PC), because for all its rather weak storytelling, the game is just packed to the gills with content, and it looks freaking incredible. It's the first game on the PS4 that just made my jaw drop to the floor, especially when traversing the Dales.

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
+1 for Last of Us Remastered and GTA5. Shadow of Mordor's also worth looking into. Second Son was pretty good as most have said, not as good as previous games in the series, but still worth a look.

If you're into fighting games, Guilty Gear Xrd comes out in a couple weeks as well.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I'd like to throw in Shadow Warrior, it's a pretty awesome old-school shooter where you can mainly use a katana and it's full of 80s humor.

Watch Dogs gets a lot of hate for some reason, but it's gameplay is top-notch. It has open-ended missions unlike GTA where missions are just an instruction following simulator. It's basically a 3rd-person Far Cry set in a city with hacking. The city of Chicago is has a great design to it and there's lots of detail in every little area, half the map is not just wilderness like other open world games. The story is garbage and the main character is bland, but that's like every game anyways.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
kaiZie said:
oh right - is the analog sticks a bit fragile in the rubber department? Worth getting some grip covers?
No. Anything to juice up your controller is never worth the insane price tag. Just don't go smashing it on the ground and you'll be fine.

As for what games you should buy, what do you like? I recently bought my own PS4 (two weeks ago) and the reason I waited so long was because there were no games that interested me. At least, not enough to make me spend that much money. Now there are so I finally bought one. Here's what I picked up:

Dragon Age Inquisition. This is the game that pushed me into getting the system. If you liked the first two games, this is worth getting. If you like RPGs, this is worth getting. If you want a game that you might sink hundreds hours into, this is worth getting. If any of those above reasons are a big no, you probably want to pass then.

Shadow of Mordor: Did you like the Batman Arkham games? Do you enjoy Assassin's Creed sneaking? Do you want a sword? If yes, get this game. Just be warned that the story isn't exactly the strongest out there in terms of starting you off.

Alien Isolation: Dear Lord, don't let it find me. I don't want to die...! Not since Silent Hill 3 have I been so immersed in the atmosphere of a game.

Lord of the Fallen: Okay, I haven't actually played this one yet. Don't know if it's good, but I heard that it's like Dark Souls enough that it should be enjoyable for fans of that series, but not die-hard hardcore ones.

Destiny came with my glorious white PS4. Yes, I spent an extra fifty bucks just so my PS4 could be white. I am so sick of everything being black in my room.

Finally, Bloodborne, No, seriously. Figure out how to build a time machine, travel forward in time, grab two copies (one for me, naturally) and then bring them back here and start that game up.

Hope that helped. :)

kaiZie

Dec 17, 2008
Well, I've got my PS4 on the way and with it a few games from various places.

I went with the obvious choice for me which was Madden 15 (Go Vikes)

On top of that I have picked up Destiny Based on Sniper Team 4's recommendation (and because a lot of my buds play it)

DA:I keeps cropping up, and I do love that series, so thanks for the help on that one guys!

Shadow of Mordor: I didn't even think to look at it initially, but there are many good reports (and a few here) which has firmly put this on my radar!

Last of Us is a loud beep on the radar as well!

Thanks guys! You've all been great! Cheers for the recommendation!

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Did you get it with a huge bargain or something?
Cause otherwise, waiting until you yourself find something you would want to play on that thing would have been the better option as later versions of the console might come with improvements or price cuts.