Buying Into DS Lite

N. Evan Van Zelfden

Jul 11, 2006
Buying Into DS Lite

Nintendo released figures for their recently launched rework of the DS?the DS Lite. The handheld hit European stores on June 23rd. Within ten days, 200,000 units were sold.

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
The DS brand has been an unqualified success so far. I'm just disappointed there are so few colors available in non-Japan regions.

infernomatic

Jul 12, 2006
Bongo Bill said:
I'm just disappointed there are so few colors available in non-Japan regions.
Hearing that never gets old. I've had countless discussions w/ all sorts of people on why the Japanese see so much more variety in the electronics/toy markets than we do...

It basically boils down to the US not taking enough interest in that sort of thing to generate the sales needed to fuel that kind of diversity. Sure, if they were to release a black DS in the states tomorrow people would buy it, but it would most likely only be a select few of us that already owned a DS, or mostly those of us that didn't currently have one, that would be making those purchases. Not so in Japan... The Japanese will sometimes own three or four of one thing, maybe more, to satisfy their desire to be trendy or their commitment to a hobby. There are other underlying reasons, but out of all of the discussions I've had that one has stood out as numero uno.

It really does suck because there are tons of cool things they see over there that most of us will never even get a glimpse of.