Buying my first handgun, looking for suggestions and input

Chickenooble

Sep 26, 2012
Mr F. said:
If the cops over here dont need them I dont see why I would need one.
Mr F. said:
Being someone who has had firearms pointed at me on multiple occasions
That's your reason, imo. Despite you or the police not wanting to carry a firearm, other people will (legally or not) and they might be willing to turn that firearm on you. I like to think of everyone carrying firearms as 'equalizers'...

Edit: Clarity

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Chickenooble said:
Mr F. said:
If the cops over here dont need them I dont see why I would need one.
Mr F. said:
Being someone who has had firearms pointed at me on multiple occasions
That's your reason, imo. Despite you or the police not wanting to carry a firearm, other people will (legally or not) and they might be willing to turn that firearm on you. I like to think of firearms as 'equalizers'...
When I say I have had guns pointed at me, I mean at border crossings. Once my family was mistakenly thought to be smuggling alcohol across the Oman - UAE border and we had a few m16's pointed at us whilst they went through the car. It took a long time.

Plus, well, I have had friends who have had firearms pointed at them for different reasons. To avoid the story, a very dear friend of mine was once woken up with a shotgun in his face and then questioned about the whearabouts of his brother. All of the firearms used in the impromptu raid were illegal, had my friend been armed nothing would have changed. Well, bar his swift execution.

Guns do not equalize situations, they just raise the stakes to levels which terrify most people. I mean, sure, America has a lower rate of bar brawls and violent crimes associated with alcohol than the UK. But it leads the world in murders using firearms, with an average rate of 11,000

Guns make killing people too easy. Sure, there are situations when owning a gun would be helpful. But most of those situations are because other people have guns.

*is not going to get into the legalize criminalize debate with regards to firearms*

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Since I know how vast the knowledge and expertise of the escapist community is, I'm sure that there are quite a few people on here who have a great deal of experience and firearms who could offer me some advice and point me in the right direction.

I've been contemplating buying a handgun for some time now. I go to shooting ranges regularly (about once a month), but I've always rented. I've gotten to the point now where I don't think I'll be able to improve my shooting any further without owning my own gun, because I need so and something that I shoot regularly and consistently, which I service myself.

I've shot quite a few guns, and I've basically figured out what I like. Since it's going to be a range and not a concealed carry I want a full size 9mm, preferably all steal. With these criteria in mind I have three guns that I've been thinking about, the CZ75BD (this is my budget option at the moment), the CZ75 SP-01, and the Beretta m92fs.

These 3 guns are currently at a stalemate for me, so if anyone can talk up any of them for me and convince me to get it over the others, I would appreciate it. Also, if anyone has another option that fits what I want please let me hear it as it's completely possible that I may end up liking your suggestion more.

Thanks for any input you guys may have, and if people want to use this thread to talk about the guns they have, or their experience owning them, that's cool as well.

Lastly, here's some pictures of the guns that I'm thinking of buying. I'm sure the vast majority of you will already know what they look like, but still, here they are:

CZ75BD

CZ75 SP-01

Beretta M92FS
out of those 3 the M9s the only one ive shot so id go with that. i prefer a .45 colt simi automatic to the M( though, much greater stoping power and has a better weight for me.

Croix Sinistre

Oct 25, 2009
I would highly recommend going with a revolver over a semi auto. I've owned both types of weapons and revolvers are more reliable, cheaper, easier to maintain and often fire more powerful bullets on average. The only disadvantages are a low ammo count and the lack of speed when reloading (though with an speed loader it's not as long as you think).

If you would consider that route I would recommend a .357. You can get hollow points for keeping and home and get .38's for the range. There are a few models out there that aren't too big or heavy and even ones designed to be carry weapons.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
to be honest I don't know much about the guns you are looking at; though I have heard the beretta has a mighty reliable pedigree to it.

I would suggest, if it's an option, getting a gun that is made domestically; best support the local economy and all that.

Have you considered what, if any, accessories you'd like for it as well? Laser sights, custom grips, etc., are great things to have but hard to get for certain models.

9mm is a good way to go, though: good mix of accuracy, ease of use, portability, and stopping power.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
thaluikhain said:
On the other hand, not being military, getting a military handgun for that reason might seem a bit disrespectful.
This seems like silly reasoning to me. Like I shouldn't drive a Jeep or use a GPS or the Internet because they were all originally invented for military purposes. I figure, if it's used by professionals whose lives actually depend on it, that's probably a point in its favour.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
If you're on a budget, try a Hi Point 9mm.
Very inexpensive ($150), low number of parts, and reportedly surprising reliable.

Review:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/hi-point-c9-9mm-a-good-cheap-gun/

They also make a 9mm carbine!

Leadfinger

Apr 21, 2010
I'm with the 1911 folks. I don't know what the OP intends to use the handgun for, but the 1911 is both fun to shoot and a real manstopper if it should become necessary to lay the hammer down on some malefactor.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
I don't know the specific specs of each pistol,but since you say that you want it for target shooting my advice would be to buy one with a longer barrel,because of the effects this have to accuracy.

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
I've not fired any of the three handguns you listed, but based on reputation and price, I would go for the CZ75BD.

Also, look into the Browning Hi-Power and the Browning BDA. We Canucks have been using the Hi-Power as our service pistol since 1944, a very fine reliable pistol. We are only now considering a replacment simply due to the fact that our stock of WW2 dated Hi-Powers are getting worn out. Most models are a bit on the pricey side perhaps.

There are some older surplus firearms which generally go for a reasonable price and/or have lots of dirt cheap surplus ammo available. The Walther P38 and TT-33 come to mind. There are lots of them in near-mint refurb condition that probably function just as well as anything modern. I think you can get a 9mm conversion kit for the TT-33 as well.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
If you get the CZ-75, get expensive CZ mags for it. I own the .40S&W version of it, and while it shoots straight as a laser, it jams... let's just say often. Generally from overzealous magazine springs. I've got a bit of experience with government issued M9s, and they tend to be more reliable... if still hypersensitive to dirt and aging mag springs.

Since my experience with those handguns and a few 1911s, I tend to regard all hammer-fired auto-loading pistols as unreliable. I now swear by Glocks (while my brother swears by Springfield XDs... just as reliable, really, I just don't like the feel of the grip safety). Haven't dropped any of mine out of a crop duster into 5 feet of mud with the slide open, but I've seen it done, and the thing still fired off the full mag first try.
>

All steel is overrated. "polymer handguns" still have steel where it counts, and the polymer is, at the very least, tougher than you or me.

Also as others have said, you really can't beat these little guys for plinking at the range:

not necessarily a Taurus revolver, just any decent .22 handgun. The Ruger Mark I/II/III pistols are pretty nice, too.

BishopOfBattle

Jul 14, 2008
As a number of people have mentioned, if you're going for sheer accuracy in a range environment only, you can't beat a .22 pistol. You can get boxes of 500 rounds easily for less than $15 and the pistols themselves tend to be cheaper than larger caliber pistols. In terms of honing your skills, you can shoot all day, every day for a very reasonable cost.

If you're set on having something larger, or if your goal besides improving your accuracy is also to eventually carry or have the pistol as a home defense weapon, 9mm is more than capable. I'm a big fan of the 1911, which is typically found in .45 but you can also find them in 9mm. I own a Kimber Ultra Carry in .45 which is a joy to shoot, though take down requires a small, paperclip size tool that I am not such a fan of.

I don't think you should limit yourself to all steel guns, however. Plenty of polymer pistols are in production that are very reliable, sturdy and in common use with both law enforcement and military. I personally own an H&K USP in 9mm that I really like, but I've also really enjoyed shooting Glocks (probably my next pistol purchase).

Of the three pistols you've mentioned, I've only fired the Beretta 92F, I am not personally a fan of it and would not recommend it. My experience is with Army Reserve owned M9s that are probably fairly old at this point, but they tended to be rattly, stiff and heavy for a 9mm. If your firearm needs to double as a hammer, they might be a good investment, otherwise... ;) The one plus is that I've never seen one fail to feed or fire, but I think you can get the same reliability in another lighter and more comfortable to fire pistol.

inklewert

Dec 9, 2009
BishopOfBattle said:
My experience is with Army Reserve owned M9s that are probably fairly old at this point, but they tended to be rattly, stiff and heavy for a 9mm. If your firearm needs to double as a hammer, they might be a good investment, otherwise... ;) The one plus is that I've never seen one fail to feed or fire, but I think you can get the same reliability in another lighter and more comfortable to fire pistol.
Agreed. If you are buying a M9 new then be prepared for a long break in period. However, once you get used to the Beretta you will never go back. I regularly shoot both the 92fs and XD40 (they make 9mm too) and while the steel 92fs is far heavier it provides, in my opinion, a vastly superior shooting experience in terms of accuracy, recoil, and user friendliness.

Also, if you have big hands the 92fs will be your best friend. If you have small hands, you will never be able to grip it. It has by far the broadest grip of any consumer pistol. This probably has something to do with my affinity for it as I need to adjust my grip on most pistols.

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
I personally prefer none of the 3. There are cheaper versions of the same gun with better warranty's. If it's available maybe look at the Tarus brand of pistols.

The idea of just for fun magazine fed pistol is also unappealing. clips are kinda expensive and a pain, and don't get me started on cleaning those bastards. If you haven't looked at them I suggest maybe trying a revolver. Easier to clean, safer,and usually a bit cheaper. These are thing's you usually don't think about till the third time you have to clean that bastard of a magazine fed.

Birdfalcon

Jul 29, 2011
Eh, I would have to agree with alot of the call outs for a 1911 model pistol. Good reliable handgun with decent man stopping power. but if you are looking for a revolver I would recommend anything by Tarus. from what i understand they are good guns for Beginners that have some exprince.