Buying Rock Band Developer Harmonix Like Catching a Falling Knife, Says EA

gsf1200

Oct 22, 2008
Its obvious that a lot of you people making comments know nothing about the games. Activision, not Harmonix, flooded the market with new games. They are also the one continually coming out with new, slightly different controllers. They also make sure your downloaded songs DON"T work with new games. Harmonix IS innovating and bringing new things to the genre. Pro modes, which can actually teach you to play real music. I have been using the same rock band 2 drums for several years. I did upgrade them with cymbals (cost $30). The songs I downloaded for rock band one, 3 or 4 years ago work with rock band 3. Whoever buys Harmonix will be getting a top-notch developer. They will succeed with whatever they try next.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
gsf1200 said:
Its obvious that a lot of you people making comments know nothing about the games. Activision, not Harmonix, flooded the market with new games. They are also the one continually coming out with new, slightly different controllers. They also make sure your downloaded songs DON"T work with new games. Harmonix IS innovating and bringing new things to the genre. Pro modes, which can actually teach you to play real music. I have been using the same rock band 2 drums for several years. I did upgrade them with cymbals (cost $30). The songs I downloaded for rock band one, 3 or 4 years ago work with rock band 3. Whoever buys Harmonix will be getting a top-notch developer. They will succeed with whatever they try next.

Basically what this guy says. Harmonix is easily my favourite dev studio and while they aren't perfect and neither is Rock Band 3, they are one of the best game studios around in terms of trying to listen to their fanbase and genuinely make new and fun experiences and not just merely milk a franchise until it dies.

I just reallly realllly realllyy hope that Activision is also not interested in HMX because if Acti picks up HMX, I foresee HMX either getting immediately dissolved/forced to work on guitar hero, or having to meet deadlines to put out 3 mediocre games a year and less DLC. Either is very bad in my opinion

The only possible (not likely) positive of having Acti pick up HMX would be if they merged GH and RB into one entity and somehow managed to merge the music catalogues into one super epic catalog. The problem with this is that RB and GH have different instruments and modes, gameplay features (unison bonuses vs band moments, extended sustains vs trills/tremolo picking) that would somehow need to be combined to be compatible with one game.

Shale_Dirk

Mar 23, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
It's a hard to argue with Riccitiello, as neither of the most recent Rock Band or Guitar Hero games have sold particularly well.
Why do I keep having to bring this up? The early numbers used for the "TERRIBLE TERRIBLE SALES" were European Union sales for the PS3 in week one, and then followed up with the claim that the game was selling terribly. To date:

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/29394/rock-band-3/
http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/29395/rock-band-3/
http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/29396/rock-band-3/

116,138 ps3
212,769 360
91,937 Wii

420,000 total sales to date, which is roughly half of the sales to this point of Rock Band 2 when it first came out.

That is by no means 'not selling particularly well'. They're also going to have two more bursts of sales with the holiday season, and when the Squier Strat comes out.

All this bad press the gaming media has been pushing around about RB3's sales is fulfilling their own created prophecy.

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
Scizophrenic Llama said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
yeah not many people music games any more. With the exception of dance central
Which ironically is made by the very same developer.

Sucks to see Harmonix getting thrown around like this, they are an awesome developing company and Rock Band 3 was a superb game in my opinion.
Even though rock band 3 may be a great game... the launch was just plain weird.
The main selling point was supposed to be the pro controllers, and they didn't realease those until much later, the madcatz pro guitar having just launched recently, and the fender pro guitar launching in march?
My guess is most people are/were expecting the pro controllers to buy the game. But most of them will lose interest over time about them. I think it was a huge risk by harmonix and not sure if it was worth it. I bet nobody will give a damn about the fender proguitar by march.

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
gsf1200 said:
Agree 100% with you man..

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
AC10 said:
Brilliant idea:
use harmonix to make things which aren't music games.

They're obviously a creative bunch over there, I feel like a lot of amazing ideas are being locked away behind the stereotype that they only have, and thus only should, make music games.

OR if they have to/want to stay along the music route: make games like Audio Surf, Beat Hazard, REZ, etc. Games where the music is part of the gameplay.
Amnestic said:
I think a move to a more modular pathway is going to be what keeps the music genre alive. Less of these full "Rock Band" titles and more of these "Rock Band: Beatles" or "Guitar Hero: Metallica" type titles.

Because lets face it, if you look at the Rock Band 2 tracklist, at least half of what you see is shit you don't want to play, and maybe a quarter is stuff you've never even heard of. It gets even more narrow when you add another three people trying to decide what to play.

Cheaper sales of certain bands and entirely separate but always compatible peripherals are the way forward in my eyes.
True, cheaper games will make this a lot better in the long run. Matter of fact, I highly doubt that they would need to make a new game peripheral for quite some time. But I think they would have to really diversify the market.

I'm sure not many people have heard of Drummania or Guitar Freaks, which I believe to be a very successful series (even if it's mainly Japanese music). Problem is, licensing kills all of the deals. I would love it if there were more international music that was cheaper or music from various sources.

When they started looking into specific music bands, I felt that was truly a step in the wrong direction on all fronts.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
But unlike Guitar Hero, Rock Band's quality hasn't suffered.
In track lists.

It has not suffered in song selection.

Believe me as a frequent player of both series, gameplay-wise Guitar Hero is better than Rock Band (I could go into why, but let's just say "design choices" and leave it at that").

OT: It's a damn shame, Harmonix is excellent at what they do, even if what they do is make games in a genre that's already full of similar games.

But, hey... can't you direct them in another genre? Or have them make 80 more Dance Central Games?

I wouldn't say it's that risky, EA.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
I think Harmonix has more to offer, somebody just has to give them a chance. There's still plenty of market out there for music games, just not so much be the big peripherals that go with it.

Harmonix has always been great at experimenting. Before they made Guitar Hero (and later, Rock Band), they had FreQuency and Amplitude, as well as EyeToy: Antigrav (that one might be a lot more fun with Kinect . . . if Sony doesn't hold a license on it). I hope they are bought, because they can still make great stuff. They just been forced into a cycle of sequels and spin-offs for Rock Band.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Hopefully someone can finally inject some innovation into big-budget music games.

(The indie scene is already quiet innovative).

Chess__x

Aug 4, 2009
This article is so redundant. Interesting how it ignores the fact he also said that HMX are one of the great developers of all time and that he thinks the music game genre will recover. That falling knife quote was taken out of context. It'd be fine if this had been reported before Kotaku cleared it up, but this was posted nearly half a day later >.<

Poketom said:
Source - http://kotaku.com/5702548/music-games-will-make-a-comeback-but-how-is-a-mystery

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
mikozero said:
these games...every much "played one, played them all" and tbh i've always thought that.
And that's different then Call of Duty or Halo how?

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
lotr rocks 0 said:
Flying Dagger said:
Maybe their sales would be better if they didn't release a hundred identical games a year...
They've released TWO games this year.... TWO... And they are very different in feel, art style, music, and in game features. Rock Band 3 is a completely overhauled game where even some of the core mechanics got changed, and all got expanded upon.

You must be incredibly ignorant to make this statement if you're serious.
as someone who doesn't have much interest in these music titles, I can barely tell the difference between each guitar band and rock hero. but between those, the other titles and things like DJ hero, it just seems a long series of putting out exactly the same game with very slight changes.

What other game could get away with putting out the same gameplay, with the same story and just changing the soundtrack? (other then sports titles, which is another game type that I think release too many titles)
Two iterations in a year sounds too much to me anyway, how can they possibly change much when working on those timeframes?
But then I'm not the chump that paid full price for the same game twice, so maybe it's just something I wouldn't understand.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
HankMan said:
Eureka! I have it!
Comming Soon: Philharmonic Orchestra: MOTSART!
This sound like one amazing idea, actually. Just picture it, you'd get to pick between all sort of instruments to play. And when you fail playing your part in the song, then everything fails epically. Though I wonder how they could make a handy gigantic plastic cello...

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Flying Dagger said:
lotr rocks 0 said:
Flying Dagger said:
Maybe their sales would be better if they didn't release a hundred identical games a year...
They've released TWO games this year.... TWO... And they are very different in feel, art style, music, and in game features. Rock Band 3 is a completely overhauled game where even some of the core mechanics got changed, and all got expanded upon.

You must be incredibly ignorant to make this statement if you're serious.
as someone who doesn't have much interest in these music titles, I can barely tell the difference between each guitar band and rock hero. but between those, the other titles and things like DJ hero, it just seems a long series of putting out exactly the same game with very slight changes.

What other game could get away with putting out the same gameplay, with the same story and just changing the soundtrack? (other then sports titles, which is another game type that I think release too many titles)
Two iterations in a year sounds too much to me anyway, how can they possibly change much when working on those timeframes?
But then I'm not the chump that paid full price for the same game twice, so maybe it's just something I wouldn't understand.
Umm, lets see. Sports games, racing games, rpg's (particularly turn based), fps's, real time strategy games. These games all typically have virtually identical or only slightly tweaked gameplay mechanics with every iteration. Multiplayer focused FPS's (you know who I'm talking about) in particular are just basically the same game with 10 new maps since the stories are just as bad or worse than any forgettable music game story. With music games, particularly Rock Band, the music IS the story, so changing that does make every game unique, and if you don't like music, you shouldn't be playing music games.

Also, with HMX's music game, you really get potentially dozens of games worth of content in one disk since you can import RB1 RB2 RB:Lego RB:ACDC RB:Green Day, all the track packs, and over 2000 DLC and RBNsongs. No game EVER has had even close to this amount of title support over a three year period, and RB3 was completely redesigned from the ground up and is not at all similar to its predecessor in any aspect other than the most basic gameplay. The menus are completely new and way more user friendly, there's a new intrument and pro modes/harmonies for every instrument, new trainers and career systems and tons of other new things. It's far from perfect, but it's ANYTHING BUT stagnant and un-innovative.

Rock Band 3 is in my opinion, the most innovative sequel of any game franchise of this decade, it just changed so many of its core features.

On the guitar hero side though, I agree with you completely. GH:WOR was basically GH5 with a silly story and a weird setlist, and could easily have just been DLC. Rock Band 3 though has enough new things to be well worth buying a new disk for, espescially since Rock Band 2 is now over two years old and is starting to show its age with slower load times and downloads due ot the staggeringly large catalog.