Caesar Conquers Gaul in New Total War: Rome II Campaign Pack

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Caesar Conquers Gaul in New Total War: Rome II Campaign Pack

The first standalone campaign pack for the historical strategy game puts players in the middle of Julius Caesar's war against the Gaulish tribes.

Caesar is on the march in the new expansion for Total War: Rome II [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10575-Total-War-Rome-II-Review-Si-Vis-Pacem-Para-Bellum]. Set between 58-51 B.C., the Caesar in Gaul standalone campaign announced today is inspired by Caesar's Commentarii de bello Gallico (Commentaries on the Galllic War). The DLC adds a new campaign map with four playable factions, a new historical battle (the Battle of Alesia), and new units. The four playable factions in the new campaign are Rome, the Gallic Arveni, the Germanic Suebi, and the Belgic Nervii. The Arveni, Suebi, and Nervii also become playable factions for the core Total War: Rome II campaign.

"We've released a number of DLC packs and free content updates for ROME II, but this is our most substantial so far," says Mike Simpson, creative director for the Total War series. "We've always planned to focus more closely on some of the key conflicts of the ancient world, and Caesar's war in Gaul is the ideal place to start," says Simpson. The new campaign focuses on a much narrower span of time, with each turn representing two weeks instead of a year. The shorter turns mean that seasons have made a return to the game, affecting production and other aspects of gameplay. Compared to what was available in the core campaign, the campaign map for Caesar in Gaul is a more detailed and expanded version of Gaul and parts of Britannia.

Total War: Rome II is Creative Assembly'sseveral patches since release [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127064-Total-War-Rome-II-Smashes-Franchise-Pre-Order-Record] to fix bugs, improve the AI's decision making, and reduce video memory requirements.

Full details for the standalone campaign pack are available on the Total War forums [http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/113376-Caesar-in-Gaul-Expansion-Campaign-Pack-for-Total-War-ROME-II?p=980217#post980217]. The Caesar in Gaul campaign pack costs $14.99, and release is set for December 12.

Source: Creative Assembly [http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/113376-Caesar-in-Gaul-Expansion-Campaign-Pack-for-Total-War-ROME-II?p=980217#post980217]

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
If they make one little village on the coast far more difficult (if not impossible) to conquer than everything else, I will laugh so hard.

I may actually have to get this game.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
When I saw this, it made me hope that the units/army would have a "virtus" quality, so that generals could win battles based on how manly virtuous their side is. I love the Commentaries.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Yeah no... I conquered the entire thing 15 times already, despite the fact that it's an awful broken game and the way the family system works means that even when playing as Rome and as the Julia house you never actually get to play as Caesar.

Don't expect the next TW to top any sales records including this expansion pack because people got BURNED with this one. Empire was forgiven because when all was said and done it was a new exciting game that brought new stuff to the table and really only fell short because of over ambition.

Rome 2 is just a sloppy derivative MOBA based on Rome 1's success.

If I hear good things at TWC I might pick this up on the Christmas steam sale.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I'm tired of DLC making me feel like I've bought only the first half of a game. When the Rome II GoTY comes out I'll get it then.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Is the game worth playing yet? From what I hear, it isn't. I think I'll pass on this, and I'll be waiting a good long time before picking up Warhammer Fantasy.

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
I am scared that this will just be Napoleon: Total War all over again.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Tahaneira said:
If they make one little village on the coast far more difficult (if not impossible) to conquer than everything else, I will laugh so hard.

Hmm, one could always mod such a thing.

Unique unit: Menhir launcher. Just a fat guy in blue and white striped pants who hurls giant bullet shaped rocks.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
I actually think that the TW games are much better suited to this kind of campaign-based structure instead of the whole grand-strategy approach. Leave that to Paradox and focus on battles and campaigns.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Abomination said:
Tahaneira said:

Hmm, one could always mod such a thing.

Unique unit: Menhir launcher. Just a fat guy in blue and white striped pants who hurls giant bullet shaped rocks.
Bard: Area denial unit. Activating the 'Sing' ability forces every unit in a set radius to immediately vacate the area.

Fishmonger: Debuffer. Slaps enemy unit with dead trout, poison status effect.

(I realize this is likely not the way Total War works.)

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Haakmed said:
Why is that bad? What was wrong with Napoleon, the engine ran smoother, the factions had more individuality, fire wasn't an auto-explosion on ships. Other than the smaller map it improved almost everything from Empire. Plus they're selling this as an expansion, not an entire game like they did with Napoleon.

Scorpid said:
I'm tired of DLC making me feel like I've bought only the first half of a game. When the Rome II GoTY comes out I'll get it then.
So much this. 3 months after release, and we're already up to four DLC packs totalling £24? They seems to be taking the piss somewhat.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
Scorpid said:
So much this. 3 months after release, and we're already up to four DLC packs totaling £24? They seems to be taking the piss somewhat.[/quote]

I already got 2 dlc for free cause you know pre orders. While Im not happy with the game its not a complete waste of my money since they are constantly patching the thing. But yeah wait for the 75% steam sale.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
They haven't even fixed the base game and they have the balls to release this and expect people to pay for it. Just like EA did with Simcity

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Nurb said:
They haven't even fixed the base game and they have the balls to release this and expect people to pay for it. Just like EA did with Simcity
bringer of illumination said:
Fuck you Creative Assembly, just fuck you.

You have the fucking gall to release a game that wasn't even CLOSE to being done, and then before you've even finished making it worth playing in it's base state, you release fucking paid DLC?

I am never touching anything you release ever again you god damned pond scum.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I vaguely recall in their adverting promotions, or gameplay videos, that these historic generals were going to be included in the original product. I definately remember something along those lines. Some one on the CA forums also pointed out that the game has files named Hannible and Caesar ect. Essentially they were cutting content out of their already unfinished game, post-launch. I definitely remember them saying I could play as the greatest generals of the Roman age.

I wonder the debacle of poor choices and general screwing of the TW fans is on CA's end or SEGA's end? I hope to christ they keep off Atlus, I don't think I could cope having them go the way CA is going.

Ftaghn To You Too said:
Is the game worth playing yet? From what I hear, it isn't. I think I'll pass on this, and I'll be waiting a good long time before picking up Warhammer Fantasy.
Not yet, did you play original rome? Go get some mods for that, its a better experiance overall I think, with mods its a given.

The mods in Rome 2 haven't had time to be something truely great. Give it a while yet, its them who might bring this game back from oblivion.

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
Megalodon said:
Haakmed said:
Why is that bad? What was wrong with Napoleon, the engine ran smoother, the factions had more individuality, fire wasn't an auto-explosion on ships. Other than the smaller map it improved almost everything from Empire. Plus they're selling this as an expansion, not an entire game like they did with Napoleon.

The problem was all those fixes never got ported into Empire. I wanted the scope of Empire with all the fixes they did in Napoleon. And after playing Napoleon it felt like a paid patch that shrunk how big the game's scale could be.

Gaius Livius

Oct 30, 2013
deathbydeath said:
When I saw this, it made me hope that the units/army would have a "virtus" quality, so that generals could win battles based on how manly virtuous their side is. I love the Commentaries.
Well then it isn't a strategy game then is it? It is just one of those "Strategy" games where the person who gets the mega death laser first/ has the higher numbers wins.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Tahaneira said:
Bard: Area denial unit. Activating the 'Sing' ability forces every unit in a set radius to immediately vacate the area.
Also has a 5% chance of making the map suddenly rain.

In a more crazier game, if the player manages to capture said Gaulic village they get to buff up every one of their units with something brewed up by a captured druid.

Gaius Livius

Oct 30, 2013
Monsterfurby said:
I actually think that the TW games are much better suited to this kind of campaign-based structure instead of the whole grand-strategy approach. Leave that to Paradox and focus on battles and campaigns.
Getting rid of the grand-strategy would be a bullet right in the head to this series. The individual campaign stuff is good as another option but the big picture of conquering everything is what sells this to a lot of people.