California Police Issue Safety Warning About Pedobear

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
California Police Issue Safety Warning About Pedobear

Police are warning parents to look out for the new pedophile mascot: internet meme Pedobear.

Pedobear is an image of a cartoon bear that forum users often use to humorously express the creepiness of another person's online behavior. It's become a well-known meme, so well known in fact that California police have issued a safety warning to the public about the "innocent menace" that Pedobear represents.

A public safety information bulletin issued by the San Luis Obispo County Police indicates that they're somewhat aware that Pedobear is a meme, but they still seem to be taking it pretty seriously. They say that Pedobear's "cute face and non-threatening appearance negate the truth of his sinister, much darker side."

The bulletin goes on to read: "One of the things that makes Pedobear popular is the controversy surrounding his licentious love of little girls. Pedobear is and should be associated with the internet and pedophiles/sexually-preferential offenders who reportedly use him to communicate their interests in young children to each other."

It then details an occurrence that saw a man dressed as Pedobear at the San Diego Comic Con banned from the event, simply for handing out candy and being dressed as the meme. Due to photos police saw of children photographed with Pedobear, the police say: "Disguised as innocence, this underground community that would make victims of our children teasingly reaches out into the light of day."

Despite police thinking that Pedobear's presence, say as a decal on a car windshield, "may be an indicator of the presence of individuals who have a predilection to sexually inappropriate, or even assaultive behavior," it's really just a silly joke. Warning people about what Pedobear is associated with is one thing, but police have chalked the meme up to a mascot for pedophiles, which it isn't. Someone with Pedobear on their car is probably at worst a forum troll, and though forum trolls are annoying - really, really annoying - they aren't going to harm your child. As far as internet memes go, I can think of a lot worse, including one that involves a cup and two friends.

Source: Gawker [http://valleywag.gawker.com/5636011/stupid-california-police-warn-parents-of-pedobear-the-pedophile-mascot]

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
PALM TO THE FACE.

Really? ITS A MEME. 4CHAN USES IT TO TROLL PEOPLE.

....and it's working apparently. I don't know whether I should congratulate anon or not.

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
The police forgot to mention that pedobear is also a master of disguise.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
what's wrong with California first it's restricting the sale of games now it's this...
[img height= 300]http://pic.phyrefile.com/n/na/narf/2010/06/14/facepalm.jpg[/img]

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
To be fair, how would you explain Pedobear to someone whose not savvy with internet culture? "Okay, see, the bear is used to represent raping children. But see...it's a joke...except it does refer to people being creepy, up to and including in a pedophilic way, but its just dealing with the humorous aspect...of that...and even though these people will say that it is the Mascot for Pedophilia, they are joking and...and...

Fuck it. It's the Mascot of Pedophilia. Why the hell should I help 4chan members not be misunderstood?

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I can understand the concern. Just because pedo bear isn't intented to be some kind of sign for pedos to know each other, doesn't mean he couldn't become something like that or even already be used as one.

I for one rather am too concerned about that, rather than having any child fall victim to it.

When flying first was inveted, people thougth it would make war obsolete, since everybody would see any army approach. Nobody thougt about throwing nuclear bombs out of planes.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
Holy shit! I just replied to a thread about this same exact thing on 4Chan.

I guess this goes to show that once again, we Calis shoot first and ask questions later. Oh wait, we can't because of gun laws we made in the same vein.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
benbenthegamerman said:
Logic 0 said:
The police forgot to mention that pedobear is also a master of disguise.
http://verydemotivational.com/2010/09/07/demotivational-posters-pedobear-3/

couldn't resist XD
lol, awesome xD

OT: Seriously, internet meme stamped as criminal now, so how long until pedobear is the nr.1 most wanted on FBIs' list?

off-topic: Protect the bear, bears are harmless, fuzzy creatures, if you see one, run up-close and hug it!

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Oh yes because real child predators have been waiting all theses years for a proper mascot to announcing to the public their intentions to rape children. Unless its some kind of reverse psychology.

Cop: "Oh if he's got pedobear on his car he can't POSSIBLY be a real pedophile, no one would be THAT stupid"

Guy in car: "Just as planned...." DUN DUN DUN

The mainstream media really need to get a grip on how the internet works, or just stop reporting on things related to it because they keep making fools of themselves.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Well, at least now he won't manage to sneak in and hide among the Olympic mascots ^^

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Judas Iscariot said:
Lets just hope my sister never hears of this... My niece and nephew love the plush toy I sent them.

Oh yes. They are real. And they are awesome!
You are sending cute, yet sinister kid-raping bears to your sister's offsprings? You, sir, are my hero. And a troll. You's trollin'!

Still, I'm shocked. First the Californian public is apparently all for the gaming restrictions, now they fear pedobear. Is it the sun or...?

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
Timotei said:
Holy shit! I just replied to a thread about this same exact thing on 4Chan.

I guess this goes to show that once again, we Calis shoot first and ask questions later. Oh wait, we can't because of gun laws we made in the same vein.
same with me on Funnyjunk.

BYW: yay Konata