California Senator Wants Fewer Guns in Games

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
To be honest, although I think this whole "Games are for kids only and thus should be filled with no controversial content whatsoever" is dumb as fuck, I wouldn't mind less games with guns since it would force the industry to develop new gameplay ideas without resorting to the old "mowing down waves of faceless mooks" approach to combat.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
RatherDull said:
I don't think it is the gun obsession at all.

I'm not in favor of the "Govment dun take our guns hurr durr" bit everyone in my state is spewing, but the reason these shootings keep happening is far more complex than anyone seems to realize.

If I had to point at one thing and say 'That is the reason," personally put the focus on mental health and depression. After all, there is a proven link between depression and shootings.

But state of mental health in the eyes of the public is in such a poor state. People just ignore it or assume it doesn't exist and that it's all made up. But depression is a real thing and it is not the victim's fault.
Oh I fully agree. In fact, I don't think there's a specific one reason at all for people to consider actively shooting people.

But the situation throughout the US in general is definitely what makes it easily possible to actually happen. That's where I was going with that. :)

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
The old people need to hurry up and die so we can move forward as a society instead of pulling this crap all the time.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
I want less idiots in the government but apparently that's not going to happen either.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Come on, guys, we all know that playing CoD makes us all experts with every single firearm out there.

Just like Red Dead Redemption taught me how to ride a horse, Gran Turismo 5 taught me how to drive a race car and Super Mario taught me how to eat mushrooms.

I mean, it's not like we can learn all these skills anywhere else other than video games, right?

Captha: no regrets

Damn right.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
FEichinger said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Jeez, cut down the hostility. I was generalizing. Neither the entirety of Europe, nor the entirety of the US fits what I described there. But if it wasn't the majority of people respectively, the world would look differently.
It felt like you were just talking down with your America vs Europe format. My B

But a majority of Americans aren't handing guns to their kids and teaching them how to shoot. Gun education involves more than that. There's nothing wrong with a father teaching his kid to use a gun to hunt or something. The problem comes with reckless parents who don't respect guns like that guy who gave an uzi to his kid and his kid shot himself in the head. I'd bet a lot less than half the people here have even used a gun. We can't just take guns away from people who can use them responsibly even if they are a minority. The amount of gun deaths in the US has been decreasing since 1996 but these shooters like the Connecticut shooter have been increasing so the problem isn't simple

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
But we don't want fewer real guns in the hands of people now do we?
Well, she wants that too, she just clearly doesn't understand how the Constitution works like all other politicians.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
I'll give you my controller when you pry it from my cold, dead hands

OT: Dear Americans if you want to be viewed in a less negative light don't elect these people.

*Edited for a better joke*

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
Hagi said:
Is there some sort of conspiracy going on to make the states look as horrendously idiotic as possible?

Because seriously, this sort of thing seems to be a special case of stupid not found anywhere else...
holy shit, it's so obvious now!

a secret circle at the heart of government, one that has been in power ever since the founding of the United States, has finally given up on democracy.
but in order to impose a new version of government without rebellion, they try to twist and break the system, letting the biggest idiots be heard, making people lose faith in their votes, until they can finally turn the whole place into some sort of dictatorship.

I hope for you guys that it's the "smart and reasonable" kind of dictator, not the kind that justifies your guns in the first place.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
PoolCleaningRobot said:
FEichinger said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Jeez, cut down the hostility. I was generalizing. Neither the entirety of Europe, nor the entirety of the US fits what I described there. But if it wasn't the majority of people respectively, the world would look differently.
It felt like you were just talking down with your America vs Europe format. My B

But a majority of Americans aren't handing guns to their kids and teaching them how to shoot. Gun education involves more than that. There's nothing wrong with a father teaching his kid to use a gun to hunt or something. The problem comes with reckless parents who don't respect guns like that guy who gave an uzi to his kid and his kid shot himself in the head. I'd bet a lot less than half the people here have even used a gun. We can't just take guns away from people who can use them responsibly even if they are a minority. The amount of gun deaths in the US has been decreasing since 1996 but these shooters like the Connecticut shooter have been increasing so the problem isn't simple
I was trying to keep it as a sincere psycho-analysis thingy, rather than condescending, but that doesn't really work all that well when talking against a 5ft concrete wall.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
'Out of touch old woman angry at vid-yo-gayums' would make a better headline. How do these people get voted in to power?

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
RatherDull said:
I don't think it is the gun obsession at all.

I'm not in favor of the "Govment dun take our guns hurr durr" bit everyone in my state is spewing, but the reason these shootings keep happening is far more complex than anyone seems to realize.

If I had to point at one thing and say 'That is the reason," personally put the focus on mental health and depression. After all, there is a proven link between depression and shootings.

But state of mental health in the eyes of the public is in such a poor state. People just ignore it or assume it doesn't exist and that it's all made up. But depression is a real thing and it is not the victim's fault.
There is also a proven link between access to guns and violence.

As a matter of fact, there is even a proven link between access to guns and SUICIDE: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-matter/means-matter/risk/

Simply by being there, guns can influence what we think and what we do.

Even though OBVIOUSLY deppression is what causes suicides, just because a certain concept is a "cause", it would be a sing-cause fallacy to assume that others CAN'T be causes.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Roelof Wesselius said:
50 dollars she's a proud card carrying member of the NRA.

OT: Dear Americans if you want to be viewed in a less negative light don't elect these people.
That's a poor bet. This is Diane Feinstein, someone who many of us figured would be taking part in the fight against guns. I think we were hoping she'd work on real guns first.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Ugh. This woman is pretty awful. Also, I feel like I should point out she's a Democrat because with this issue, most might assume she's a Republican. Just dropping some knowledge. Regardless of her party alignment, I still do not like her. Video games are the least of the problems out the there, lady.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Stryc9 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Well, she wants that too, she just clearly doesn't understand how the Constitution works like all other politicians.
I could go on a rant about that too.
Hagi said:
Is there some sort of conspiracy going on to make the states look as horrendously idiotic as possible?

Because seriously, this sort of thing seems to be a special case of stupid not found anywhere else...
I'm wondering if there's a minimum idiocy requirement before you're allowed to run for government in the US.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
SecondPrize said:
Yeah you're right wrong joke for her
Can you edit that out of your post i don't want to get 20 posts correcting that mistake?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
You might want to look at the record of the woman in question. Senator Feinstein was behind the Assault Weapons Ban in the 90s and the proponent of the current one, including some of the toughest regulations out there.

I hope you were kidding, and not in the way that's most obvious, but people have been so straight up on not doing the research around these parts that my radar's fried.

Anyway, I support most of her initiatives on guns, but this one's inane.

She can take pry my shooters from my admittedly pacifistic cold, dead, arthritic, cheetos-encrusted hands!

RatherDull said:
[citation needed]

That being said, gun obsession makes it really easy for people with mental health issues to get firearms. You know, since we have a lobby who doesn't even like the mental health restrictions we have now, never mind opposing stricter ones. The fear that '[whoever] don gon take awr guns!' leads the the refusal to follow even the most sensible steps for dealing with gun violence, including mental health and criminal issues.

If mental health issues are something you consider a big deal, then gun obsession is something you should consider key as well.