California Slapped with Legal Fees for Failed Supreme Court Case

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
shameduser said:
I think the ESA is trying to save face after supporting SOPA. It's not working for me.
I doubt it's trying to save face from supporting SOPA. It's much more likely them trying to save face for the fact they're going to get over a million dollars of tax-payer money.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
On one hand, ha ha you failed at censoring games now you to pay for being such big stupid stupid heads.

On the other hand, the ESA supported SOPA up until its well deserved death.

I'd say it's a wash, the ESA should not get payed. The people who signed the petitions, the people who went before the Supreme Court and argued for games, they should get payed.
In fact, it should be the ESA who pays them, and only after everyone who helped defend games in the eyes of the court has gotten payed by the ESA, should the people involved in the making and implementing of the bill trying to ban games compensate the ESA from their own pockets.

But that's only gonna happen in a fantasy world, so I'll just go back to saying the ESA shouldn't get payed. Especially not from the California tax payers.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
shameduser said:
I think the ESA is trying to save face after supporting SOPA. It's not working for me.
Except this is something they did long before any of the SOPA stuff was around.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
He'll be back though.
I see what you did there.

Maybe not, though. It was manifestly clear from the outset that the bill was unconstitutional. Anyone involved with a thimblefull of sense should have known that the bill would not survive high court scrutiny. But Schwarzenegger and Yee persisted in trying to push it through regardless, despite the near-certainty it would be overturned, despite knowing that California can ill-afford wasteful spending and despite the obvious benefits a harmonious relationship with the tech industry (and consequences if that relationship should sour).

Hopefully, the millions of dollars wasted by these two "public servants" will get noticed by the taxpayers and they will be held accountable for thier poor decisions. Sadly, the voters of the Great State of California have - if nothing else - demonstrated over the years an extremely poor track record of removing scoundrels from public office.

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
The ESA did something marginally decent, and that's nothing to be sneezed at. Kinda tainted by the fact that they're only giving back after taking it....

DVS BSTrD said:
So when will the ESA have to pay back all the money it spent on lobbying to get SOPA passed?
The_root_of_all_evil said:
On one hand, the SOPA supporters.
On the other hand, the SOPA supporters.

I'd be a lot happier if Yee and Schwarzenegger had to personally pay those fees, and ALL of the money went back to the Californian taxpayers.

He'll be back though.
Yeah he really gave the State a Raw Deal.
Problem is, next term he'll still be Running, Man.
I have a feeling the Schwarzenegger administration will suffer a Total Recall.
I dunno, he's turned out to be quite the political Predator...
EDIT: Even though the Collateral Damage from that bill could have spelled the End of Days for the gaming industry, his support is still pretty strong...

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
shameduser said:
Except this is something they did long before any of the SOPA stuff was around.
The law suit was last year. The announcement that the money they demand to get repaid from the lawsuit going to support the youth of California is new and seeing as this article was posted yesterday I would believe that it was post SOPA which means they could quite likely be doing it to save face. Please tell me you read the article before commenting...

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Baresark said:
Leeland Yee is a total toolbag. You should have made him pay out of pocket.
As awesome as that would be, I think it might be illegal or unconstitutional or something. Still, I can't help but be reminded of that episode of South Park where all the students start suing the school over trumped-up charges of "sexual harassment", and the school ends up going flat broke. If the ESA really wanted to prove that they're the good guys and make Yee look like an even bigger bastard by comparison, they would have respectfully turned down the money on the grounds that the state needed it more.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Gotta say, I'm not sure if this story is a good thing or not.

On the one hand, Leland Yee is a self-promoting wanker who has wasted taxpayer money on a personal crusade.

On the other hand, the ESA used gamer support to win that case and then promptly shafted us with SOPA.

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Capt. Crankypants said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I have a feeling the Schwarzenegger administration will suffer a Total Recall.
I dunno, he's turned out to be quite the political Predator...
EDIT: Even though the Collateral Damage from that bill could have spelled the End of Days for the gaming industry, his support is still pretty strong...
I know that but after the whole illegitimate Junior thing coming to light has left his popularity is a little Rundown. And the Republican establishment has probably classified him among the Expendables.
I think you and I could have been good buddies :p

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Mortai Gravesend said:
Ugh, must they bleed CA dry? D=

Our budget is poor enough as it is T__T
Then do your best to rally people to vote those dipshits out of office. I'm from Texas, so I have my hands full with our my own state's incompetents.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Mimsofthedawg said:
DTWolfwood said:
so i take it the taxpayers will now be paying the ESA after the taxpayers paid to sue them...

y is it the Governator and mrYee get off scot-free here?

p.s. heres hoping they get thrown out of office in the next election.
Arnold has hit his term limit and is no longer and can never be governor again... just saying...
yeah i was thinking that mite be the case for him. he gets a freebie D:<