Call Goes Out For Shooter Cease Fire

Filiecs

May 24, 2011
TotalBiscuit sums up my thoughts pretty well:

I appreciate that they want to honor the dead, but videogames and school shootings are completely unrelated.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Pearman says that this stand is not intended to raise money, nor is it meant as some kind of game-blame. "We are simply making a statement that we as Gamers are not going to sit back and ignore the lives that were lost," says Pearman. "Instead we will embrace the families with our love and support." Full details, including means of participation, can be found on this Facebook page. Over 1,400 gamers have already confirmed that they will cease fire for the day.
So in the end, it is meaningless. Millions of people who are gamers have responded to the tragedy even though it did not affect them personally. That's more than enough, any more is just vanity.

If you want to stop spree killings for good, hug a future spree killer and give them a luxury holiday just as you do for those young terminal cancer patients who get VIP trips to Disneyland for free.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I play games to let off steam from a bad day of work, like so many other people do. It is sad that some crazy nutjob with a gun killed so many children, but forcing myself to suffer the intense stress of the day without a means of escaping it on harmless pixels is not going to help anyone. If anything, it's going to make me feel terrible. I may takeout the stress on friends or loved ones. No one wants that.

Now if I read the whole story right, this had more to do with the guy getting a royal screw-job on his brain from prescriptive mood pills and - in his crazy chemically-deranged state - he committed a terrible act by slaughtering his mother, and the children at the school she worked for. So how about, instead of calling off shooting games for a day, we tell everyone on the planet to call of prescriptive mind-fuckery pills for the day? No? You're saying that's a horrible thing to do? Then why expect gamers of the world to drop their controllers on a guilt trip?

edit - edited first sentence of second paragraph to get my point across better.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
WanderingFool said:
Now COD, No Halo, No Borderlands, No Blacklight: Retribution...

*has minecraft on XBox*

Im in.
Same here. I was going to be going between Halo 4 and Minecraft, but the new update just came out today so I have plenty of reason not to play any shooters for the next few days/weeks.
GoddyofAus said:
Since when have the majority of gamers been compassionate enough to take up any cause except playing Half Life 2 to try and get Valves attention.
That might have worked if they had gone the opposite route and refused to play or buy any Valve games for a week or two. Get enough people to do that, especially during a large sale or other event, and Valve will take notice.(good luck getting anyone to actually do that though)

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Fijiman said:
WanderingFool said:

*has minecraft on XBox*

Im in.
Same here. I was going to be going between Halo 4 and Minecraft, but the new update just came out today so I have plenty of reason not to play any shooters for the next few days/weeks.
Oh! the new update is out? Awesome...

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
WanderingFool said:
Fijiman said:
WanderingFool said:

*has minecraft on XBox*

Im in.
Oh! the new update is out? Awesome...
Yes, we now have potions, enchanting, breeding, and a few other things.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
eh? We're showing support for the families by not playing video games?

This doesn't show support at all...

Psychedelic Spartan

Sep 15, 2011
Well, seeing as I'm on winter break now, I don't have anything else to do. Might as well join it, so it looks like I'm playing the xbox version of minecraft all day tomorrow!

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
teh_Canape said:
SageRuffin said:
teh_Canape said:
SageRuffin said:
Besides, I was always more of a melee person anyway.
well they've been blaming Dynasty Warriors as well

so yeah =P
Well... fuck.
see? these media guys truly cover all scenarios, don't they
Granted, I don't play DW but I know the implications behind it.

Ah well. There's always Magic. :D

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Sorry, but this is just a more elaborate version of
"lke dis if u cry evry tiem"

It also can be read that FPS gaming is responsiable for this type of thing.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
wombat_of_war said:
GonzoGamer said:
I can't play CoD with just knives. I get my ass kicked already.

I can appreciate the sentiment but wouldn't it be a lot better to get people to stop shooting REAL guns for a day? If they can get that to happen, I'll stop shooting digital guns for a day.

I still find it interesting that people insist that this is EITHER a gun control issue OR a mental health issue when it's obviously both.

How long would it have taken a mentally ill person to shoot 27 people back when the 2nd amendment was written?
a very experienced soldier could load and fire 4 times a minute
So that's 5 shots per minute for the first minute, which assumes he is even accurate considering he's using a smoothebore musket and is able to load while running after his now fleeing targets.

The issue is, as always, how easy it is for a mentally unstable person to have access to guns. Considering how so many people have them it's quite simple for him to "borrow" one.

A lunatic in New Zealand is lucky if he can steal a golf club, let alone semi-automatic rifles.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
DataSnake said:
Nieroshai said:
Given the amount of preparation he went through, it isn't unreasonable to say he could've taken the time to whip up homemade explosives and stuffed them in the car. Guns are by no means the most deadly, devastating, or easy-to-obtain weapons out there. The first WTC bombing cost the bomber less than the price of a Glock. A man in China committed a similar slaughter to Newtown, but he did it with a knife. Just as many casualties, with an even more hardcore police force simply not arriving on time. Should we ban knives? Knives were invented by our ancestors to hunt and to wage war, and then they tied them to sticks and called them spears. Surely we live in a society where knives are obsolete? I see cooking shows where scissors are used instead to cut meat, and Cuisinarts are used to dice vegetables. Of course not, but you see where this is going.
Interesting fact: Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold's original plan for the Columbine massacre was to set off homemade bombs in the school cafeteria during lunch and just use their guns to mop up the survivors. That's not how it ended up going, because they sucked at making bombs. Had they just been able to buy some C4 at their local Wal-Mart's sporting goods department, that massacre would have been far, far deadlier. Since they had to make their own, and they sucked at it, the death toll stayed in the teens instead of breaking triple digits. Also, WHAT THE FUCK DOES A CIVILIAN NEED AN ASSAULT RIFLE FOR? It's total overkill for hunting, a shotgun is more than adequate for home defense, and it's not the kind of thing you can carry everywhere just in case you get mugged.
Define "assault rifle." I have a feeling you're thinking of something that isn't really available to the average un-certified civilian. You probably also have a different definition of "automatic" than I do.

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
Friends and family of the deceased are not going to care if people stop playing video games for some length of time to "support" them. If you want to "support" them then do something meaningful and make an actual sacrifice, like donating money for funerals. Funerals are expensive and stressful. A lot of families will be stretched thin.