Call of Duty 4 Remaster Requires Infinite Warfare Disc

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Call of Duty 4 Remaster Requires Infinite Warfare Disc

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/45/45037.jpg
You won't be able to sell your copy of Infinite Warfare and keep playing the Call of Duty 4 remaster.

One of (if not the only) exciting thing about official website [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/call%20of%20duty?os=call+of+duty] for the game has been updated, stating that the Infinite Warfare disc is required to play.

"Modern Warfare Remastered is a full game download (game disc must be inserted to play Modern Warfare Remastered). Internet connection required," states the line in question. It was previously announced that MW: Remastered would be a digital-only product packaged with premium editions of IW. We naturally assumed that as with other digital products, it would simply be a download code that you redeemed once and was then tied to your account. It now appears that Activision is forcing players to keep their Infinite Warfare discs in order to play.

Obviously, if you purchase a digital version of Infinite Warfare, this will no longer apply.

Activision has not said if Modern Warfare Remastered will ever be sold on its own.

We've reached out for confirmation.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-4-remaster-physical-version-reportedl/1100-6444115/]

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Well of course. The mass negative response to the way they've handled this told them the would be in the bargain bins of second hand game sellers everywhere a month after launch, got to stop that happening somehow.

Apparently a much more customer friendly practice of just selling the games separately didn't even occur to them as an option for how to achieve that.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Still can't decide whether I should pony up the cash for the uber edition and get both games, or just Call of Shoot Evil Jon Snow IN SPACE.

Also: what's with the Modern Warfare 2 screenshot?

Battenberg said:
Well of course. The mass negative response to the way they've handled this told them the would be in the bargain bins of second hand game sellers everywhere a month after launch, got to stop that happening somehow.

Apparently a much more customer friendly practice of just selling the games separately didn't even occur to them as an option for how to achieve that.
It does smack of a certain lack of confidence in Infinite Warfare, which I would have said is strange if the internet hadn't been full of shrieking crybabies who, having spent the last decade complaining that COD never does anything new*, completely dismissed Infinite Warfare for doing something new.

*Apparently the Black Ops series doesn't count.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Yes, we are going to fuck you.
No, you do not like being fucked.
Yes, we understand that you do not appreciate being fucked like this.
No, we will not apologize for your fucking.

Buy our products.

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
I completely fail to understand the negative reaction to this game. They get berated for a lack of innovation, so they decide to add space combat and zero-g FPS mechanics, and they get berated because it's not the same?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
TT Kairen said:
I completely fail to understand the negative reaction to this game. They get berated for a lack of innovation, so they decide to add space combat and zero-g FPS mechanics, and they get berated because it's not the same?
We still dont know how much of that is a part of regular (online) gameplay instead of being a campaign one-off gimmick.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...wait, isn't it standard anyway (at least for consoles) that you need the disc in anyway even if the entire game is installed on the hard drive if you purchased the physical copy? I know I've got to do that with my PS4 for a whole bunch of games anyway, so... yeah, doesn't seem like that big a deal?

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
TT Kairen said:
They might say that, but a large part of the negative reaction might be because of the atrocious first trailer, along with that god-awful cover of "Space Oddity".

Or maybe people are getting tired of CoD at long last.

List

Sep 29, 2013
TT Kairen said:
Isn't it just that the people who keep saying that COD does nothing new is a different group to the people that keeps buying the game each year.

In my opinion they should have kept doing what they were doing all this time, they wouldn't get the whining people to buy their game but they could have kept their usual players. Now from what I see, they just estranged their normal fanbase while "the people who wanted something new" are just happily watching the clusterfuck from the sidelines.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Probably the only one here who's genuinely enthused for the game. And I say that as someone who hasn't played CoD since the WWII games.

TT Kairen said:
Well, excluding how people rag on CoD regardless, I think it's a case of the straw breaking the camel's back. As in:

-It's another CoD game. Even within the fanbase that might account for something.

-It's another future game in a series that started off in WWII, and found popularity in the modern era. So, coupled with Advanced Warfare, Black Ops 2/3, and Ghosts (to a lesser extent), that's 3-4 "future games" in a row. In a time previous, there was some alternation between time period (e.g. Infinity Ward got the Modern Warfare series, while Treyarch handled WaW/BO1), but now? It's all in the future. I think this is the single biggest reason.

Course that's a boon for me, since I'm a sucker for sci-fi, but I can understand why people don't like it. Certainly I'd be pissed with a 21st century Halo game for instance.

-Doesn't help that the reveal trailer isn't that good by itself, and it was announced in the shadow of Battlefield 1. Whatever you think of Battlefield, it's never covered WWI, and few games, FPS or otherwise, have done so, at least in comparison to the wars that came afterwards. So, you have CoD apparently stagnating on one hand, Battlefield innovating on the other hand, and thus, Infinite Warfare looks worse by default. Same reason how Paladins has existed in Overwatch's shadow for instance.

-That Modern Warfare Remastered is locked behind it is seen as a ploy (correctly) to get people to buy the game, in order to get access to MW1. That's going to sour a lot of people.

So, yeah. I think Infinite Warfare has suffered from a lot of things, both external and internal, in regards to reception. Which is a shame, because IMO, it looks quite interesting, both in terms of gameplay and, to an extent, story.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Battenberg said:
It almost certainly has occured to them, they just won't do it until six months after Infinite Warfare's release when that game's sales have run their course. Probably at full or close to full price too.

Alternatively, just buy the original Modern Warfare on Steam and install some graphics mods.

TT Kairen said:
Call of Duty being Call of Duty, the Zero-G mechanics and space combat will last a few minutes, if that, Zero G combat was in Ghosts too. I think many people are somehwat sick of Call of Duty: Future-ey Warfare since that what BlOps 3 was, it's what Advanced Warfare was and BlOps 2 had shades of it too with all the drones and VTOLs hurtling around.

With three developers doing three games separately you would think even Activision would have a little bit more diversity than making every game look and sound like a Neil Blomkamp movie.

The use of that awful David Bowie cover in the trailer didn't help either, use the real thing or don't use it at all. So soon after his death too.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Holding the CoD4 hostage in order to force your customer to buy your new game? Man, they sure are confident in that new product of theirs.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Cod4 is the only thing making me want this. I lost 2 and a half years of my life to cod4 multiplayer.

I really dont like the look of the new class based mp. I can do that on battlefield or overwatch. Having said that, Ive not bought a cod game since mw3. I never liked the treyarch games, so when Activision culled the IW staff I left the franchise with them.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
MeatMachine said:
Yes, we are going to fuck you.
No, you do not like being fucked.
Yes, we understand that you do not appreciate being fucked like this.
No, we will not apologize for your fucking.

Buy our products.
And no, we will not apply lube or wear a condom either. Enjoy the fucking. We have already taken your money.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This is a perfect opportunity for consumers to say fuck you to Activision. You have to be naive and have no willpower to buy into this shit. It's a 10 year anniversary of MW4. Of course it will get a standalone release. And the less people buy Infinite Warfare the faster that will happen because Activision needs to make their holiday season money. They can't do that if their game doesn't sell. So don't buy it. Instead of being forced to buy a product that you don't want to get the one you want, force them to sell you the product you want.

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
This is a perfect opportunity for consumers to say fuck you to Activision. You have to be naive and have no willpower to buy into this shit. It's a 10 year anniversary of MW4. Of course it will get a standalone release. And the less people buy Infinite Warfare the faster that will happen because Activision needs to make their holiday season money. They can't do that if their game doesn't sell. So don't buy it. Instead of being forced to buy a product that you don't want to get the one you want, force them to sell you the product you want.
*In response to sales figures for the remastered bundle edition* "It seems our predictions were wrong. We thought people would be excited to replay one of their favorite and one of the most successful games ever but as it turns out by our figures...people don't want a remaster of an old beloved game like we thought. With this new information, we have decided in halting development of modern warfare 2 and 3 remasters and are now focusing on what people actually want. Zombies In Space!"

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
ddrkreature said:
*In response to sales figures for the remastered bundle edition* "It seems our predictions were wrong. We thought people would be excited to replay one of their favorite and one of the most successful games ever but as it turns out by our figures...people don't want a remaster of an old beloved game like we thought. With this new information, we have decided in halting development of modern warfare 2 and 3 remasters and are now focusing on what people actually want. Zombies In Space!"
Folks at Activision aren't stupid. They know the difference between lack of interest and backlash.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
ddrkreature said:
we have decided in halting development of modern warfare 2 and 3 remasters and are now focusing on what people actually want. Zombies In Space!"
Why would you want a re-make of MW2/3 anyway? Modern Warfare was the good one, the two sequels trip over and fall down the infinite well of human stupidity.