Call of Duty 5 Heading Back to World War II

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Call of Duty 5 Heading Back to World War II

Call of Duty 5 will apparently be returning to a familiar setting: World War II.

Articles in both UK print magazine games and Official Xbox Magazine have confirmed that Call of Duty 5, being developed by Treyarch, will take the series back to the battlefields of World War II. Treyarch was the development team behind Call of Duty 3 (pictured); Infinity Ward was the developer of the wildly successful Call of Duty 4.

Though Call of Duty 4 took place in a modern setting, rumors that CoD5 would take place during World War II began circulating last December when an ad saying "working experience with First-Person Shooter or Third-Person Shooter genres (console or PC). And if you're a fan of World War 2 shooters, then even better!" appeared on Treyarch's web site.

The Wii version is being developed by a separate team within the studio and will apparently support the Wii Zapper hardware. All four versions will use the same engine as Call of Duty 4.

The game will be set in World War II in the Pacific theater and will be the first title in the series to feature four-player cooperative play, as well as vehicles and squad-based play.

The opening scene will reportedly surpass predecessors in its shock factor, as it will depict Japanese soldiers torturing and killing an American prisoner.

"This is a scarier Call of Duty than we've ever seen," said Treyarch's Mark Lamir.

Source: Videogaming247.com [http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/06/09/cod5-has-co-op-vehicles-in-multiplayer-every-format-apart-from-psp/]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So after the last game's unflinching take on modern war (we may be the good guys, but we're still a bunch of unlikeable dicks).
We're going back to World War 2, the goodies are the goodies and the baddies are the baddies, but this time we're going to make it shocking by making the baddies like, really, really bad, like, y'know, baby eating stereotypes 'n' stuff.

Wii version developed by separate team, cut down rail shooter sections anyone?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Wow, what a monstrously bad idea. After the success of CoD4 you'd think somebody would notice that the world is growing sick of WW2-based shooters. For the record, I won't even think about buying it; I swore years ago that I wouldn't touch another WW2 FPS until somebody made one that let me play as a German, fighting someone other than the Russians.

And putting aside my own personal disinterest in the setting for a moment, what the hell made Activision even consider the idea of stepping back from CoD4? Modern Warfare was frikkin' huge.

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
Oh for Pete's sake, again?
I was thrilled when I found out CoD4 was being set to a modern war, and now they're going back to WW2?
Now, I may be incorrect, but I do seem to remember there already being a humongous pile of perfectly fine WW2 shooters already.
The only way this can end well is if they drag the story outside that freaking box and beat it up there instead.

Slash12

Apr 26, 2008
I agree, They should have stuck with Modern Warfare. Of course I could be wrong and this game could be as amazing as CoD4, but like Malygris I won't even consider buying this game, unless it gets amazing press from everyone, then I might rent and try it out.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
wii can use the same engine as cod4? unless they modify it for it specifically
well then again, ive seen better looking games then cod4

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I think they want to give one last go at WW2 before leaving it behind, basically setting up the definative WW2 experience for all other game companies to weep over.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
They might have decided to go back to WW2 because with World War 2 you already have your storyline. With Modern Warfare they had to make up their own storyline. I think the guys at the top don't want to put that much time and effort into making up a new storyline. I mean Modern Warfare's storyline was awesome enough. How would you build on it? Unless you could play as Chuck Norris and roundhouse-kick people, I don't see how they could make it any better.

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
Well...I was disappointing with CoD4 since it was only CoD2+Sprint+Cheap Effects so it's good to see Treyarch is trying out something new.

I'm particularly interested into those scary survival horror elements because so far, every war game has a 5-10 squad of whittest soldiers ever seen with one black making up for a comic relief.They usually fight their way into Berlin by killing Germans with their dreadful one-liners and in the end,drink some beer over Hitler's dead body.

WAR IS NOT A FUCKING ADVENTURE CAMP and I'm glad somebody has finally noticed.

zirnitra

Jun 2, 2008
I'm not buying it unless you play as the Japanese in that opening cut scene, I just don't think I can stumache anymore American patriotism

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
Bah, why must they go back to WWII? That genre has long since been exhausted, and if they had learned anything from CoD4 (which they obviously haven't) it's that people no longer want to play WWII games because we've already played the same thing 10 times! Shinier graphics doesn't make up for boring and repetitive game play that has been used in many WWII games before.

I mean seriously WWII games have been produced for longer then WWII actually lasted, can't developers just give it a rest? And actually as above, I swear I will not buy this game unless you can play as the Japanese to, I've grown sick of the sheer amount of patriotism surrounding these games in that the opposing side is portrayed as sick, evil villains, whereas the Americans/British are made up to be heroes.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
To be honest I thought COD4 was massively overrated, but it still had some awesome moments and is definitely a great game. One reason I thought it was overrated but still good was because it was the first COD game I had played because it finally had the balls to stop milking the teats off of WWII. Now I hear its going back, I can tell you that tiny modicum of respect I gained for the COD franchise has been flushed cleanly down the shit-stained toilet. WWII is so massively overused, I stopped getting feelings of respect when I see images and videos of it, and now it just instils indifference and boredom. Way to go WWII-FPS games developers, I personally hold you responsible you disrespectful, unoriginal and boring sacks of shit.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
I hope they put friggen Canadian soldiers in there. We did our part too! And join before US!
[/anger and possible flaming]

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
"Not another WW2 FPS!"

Can ANY of you actually name a Pacific War FPS other than MoH:pacific Assault?

Unless any of you can provide me with at least 5 titles, cut the bullshit because according to Wikipedia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:World_War_II_first-person_shooters) the WW2(and especially Africa/Pacific) isn't used ANYWHERE near as much as Fantasy/Sci-Fi.