Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Review - Game Boy Advanced

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Apr 14, 2020
5,184
173
68
So is this happening because Activision milks the franchise too much? Or too little?
 

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
3,257
0
0
I've yet to play it, but it looked like a mixed bag to me. I also fucking called it only being received well because Ghosts was so awful.

Time to play Black Ops II again, I remember that at least Treyarch can keep this series going, 'cept I must wait until 2015 for that.

Edit: And now to wait two weeks to see (note: incoming exaggeration) Yahtzee proclaim Call of Duty to be the worst thing ever yet again. This November's not going to be a pleasant one.
 

Sniper Team 4

New member
Apr 28, 2010
5,433
0
0
I'm having fun playing the campaign, and it it light-years ahead of Ghosts, but it's still lacking that 'pop' level I feel. I want to be in the thick of fire fights again and fighting a war, like Modern Warfare 1, 2, and 3. I want to feel the feeling of desperation I got when the Obama was attacked and overrun in Black Ops II.

Now granted, I haven't beaten the campaign yet, so those moments might still be coming. The opening level was good, but once I switched to ATLAS, it's become just me and two to three other guys fighting. I fear this may be the last CoD I buy because the game seems to have forgotten what made the old ones fun. Perhaps Treyarch will be able to pull something off. They don't seem to be afraid to go, "Hm...let's try that!"
 

Soviet Heavy

New member
Jan 22, 2010
12,218
0
0
Press X to pay respects.

Are we sure nobody who made Duty Calls BLOODY SCREEN SO REAL worked on this game?
 

vagabondwillsmile

New member
Aug 20, 2013
221
0
0
Ugh--- this game. In your Squirty Play the "Press X to Pay Respects" bit was shockingly tacky. If the game is about being a soldier, I'd want to be doing cool combat things of course, but on an emotional level, the sacrifice felt empty because the story gives us nothing to latch onto about the characters for us to care about them as comrades in arms, friends, or even just as people.

Want the audience to feel something? Have an officer talk about the soldier's character and his accomplishments on and off the battlefield. Show his family grieving. Show the flag being honorably folded and given to the widow as she tries not to collapse under its weight. Show flashbacks of being him doing something goofy in the mess hall at basic. Give the audience SOMETHING. Not a POS quicktime event. I groaned and rolled my eyes. Noone should be groaning or rolling their eyes at a soldier's funeral.

You know what? Forget tacky. That scene was in bad taste, poorly handled, and approached being disrespectful.

Moving on: I'm so glad you mentioned the leniarity, Jim. I kept thinking, "This is really, REALLY close to being an on-rails-shooter".

I could tell imediately from the hype-building commercial, where the player just follows this guy around being told where to go and what to do and the player imagines that a goat is a girl, that this would be Instruction Following Simulator 7. Your carnival ride is about to start, keep your hands inside the cart at all times. Be sure to stop by the souvenire shop on your way out.

But people just buy these games for the multiplayer right? Which is weird because the other ad showcasing "Spacey" (quotes because any time a movie or game tries CG the likenesses of real people it looks horrible and wooded - ugh cg Jolie in Beowulf, what a complete mess) and and a few other things about the campaign, seems to suggest they've put some care into developing a robust single-player campaign. Nope. They didn't.

And another killer was when "Spacey" says, "This is advanced Warfare". Yes, we know, Weird Cardboard Kevin Spacey. We know. That's what it says on the box.
 

Aiddon_v1legacy

New member
Nov 19, 2009
3,672
0
0
vagabondwillsmile said:
Ugh--- this game. In your Squirty Play the "Press X to Pay Respects" bit was shockingly tacky. If the game is about being a soldier, I'd want to be doing cool combat things of course, but on an emotional level, the sacrifice felt empty because the story gives us nothing to latch onto about the characters for us to care about them as comrades in arms, friends, or even just as people.

Want the audience to feel something? Have an officer talk about the soldier's character and his accomplishments on and off the battlefield. Show his family grieving. Show the flag being honorably folded and given to the widow as she tries not to collapse under its weight. Show flashbacks of being him doing something goofy in the mess hall at basic. Give the audience SOMETHING. Not a POS quicktime event. I groaned and rolled my eyes. Noone should be groaning or rolling their eyes at a soldier's funeral.

You know what? Forget tacky. That scene was in bad taste, poorly handled, and approached being disrespectful.

Moving on: I'm so glad you mentioned the leniarity, Jim. I kept thinking, "This is really, REALLY close to being an on-rails-shooter".

I could tell imediately from the hype-building commercial, where the player just follows this guy around being told where to go and what to do and the player imagines that a goat is a girl, that this would be Instruction Following Simulator 7. Your carnival ride is about to start, keep your hands inside the cart at all times. Be sure to stop by the souvenire shop on your way out.

But people just buy these games for the multiplayer right? Which is weird because the other ad showcasing "Spacey" (quotes because any time a movie or game tries CG the likenesses of real people it looks horrible and wooded - ugh cg Jolie in Beowulf, what a complete mess) and and a few other things about the campaign, seems to suggest they've put some care into developing a robust single-player campaign. Nope. They didn't.

And another killer was when "Spacey" says, "This is advanced Warfare". Yes, we know, Weird Cardboard Kevin Spacey. We know. That's what it says on the box.
The single player campaign in these types of games, when you get down to it, does not exist for the benefit of the player. It is designed solely to create set pieces to put into trailers to get people's attention so that they buy it on launch day. And considering how CoD's numbers have been steadily declining for a few years, they're desperate to do everything they can to sell as much as they can on launch before the bubble bursts and then they have to pick another franchise to be their cash cow.
 

Toblo1

New member
Jun 1, 2014
66
0
0
Evonisia said:
Edit: And now to wait two weeks to see (note: incoming exaggeration) Yahtzee proclaim Call of Duty to be the worst thing ever yet again. This November's not going to be a pleasant one.
Don't forget the obligatory shitting on the U.S. and Modern Military Shooters/Spunkgargleweewee fans by Yahtzee (Regardless of whether they deserve it or not.).

On the game itself, coming from an on-off fan of CoD, I might just get it when it gets cheaper......
 

ryukage_sama

New member
Mar 12, 2009
508
0
0
Wow! Suddenly Destiny is looking much more appealing.

Based on Jim's review, a better alternative would be to play Titanfall with House of Cards playing in the background.
 

truckspond

New member
Oct 26, 2013
403
0
0
This is still the first CoD that I have bought since MW2 quite simply because unlike Jim, I am willing to rebuild the bridge that Black Ops II tore down and Ghosts burned. I don't mean to make any disrespect to Jim here or say that this game is the literal reincarnation of jesus himself (We already have Jim for that!) but this review reads like someone who made up their mind when the game was first announced rather than after they had actually played it. I would still only give the game about 3.5 stars overall but it's not nearly as bad as Jim makes it seem. We'll have to wait and see what Yahtzee makes of all of this now that they finally removed all of the dust everywhere
 

gamegod25

New member
Jul 10, 2008
863
0
0
When reading the review I thought that "Press X to Pay Respects" was a just joke or exaggeration, you know "haha very funny Jim" stuff...then I clicked to part two and saw the screenshot...and then I facepalmed so hard I fell backwards out of my chair.

Really...fucking REALLY? That is something I would expect from a PARODY of the genre not an actual game! And not for a character we barely know let alone care about.

That had to be a joke...something a programmer snuck into the game or suggested sarcastically at a meeting but the boss thought they were serious and kept it in.
 

madprofessor

New member
Nov 4, 2014
1
0
0
Good post Jimothy, as always. I came to this threat right after watching this video. Thought it was spot on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xIQ2UWrqT4
 

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
6,374
0
0
That comparison to Baratheon was glorious.

The only question, of course, is of who is going to be the boar and/or Cersei. 'Cause I don't think we're at the tail end of this reign yet.

I had a modicum of interest simply because I did enjoy the Modern Warfare campaigns for what they were, but I tend to draw the line when it would take me roughly twenty times longer to download and install the game than I would spend playing through it, because of my lack of interest in competitive multiplayer. Also heavily scripted whizzy fizzbang boom pow phwoar "here wait until I open this door for you" campaigns have kinda lost their luster for me.
 

ron1n

New member
Jan 28, 2013
401
0
0
Izanagi009 said:
In this case, I would argue there is some level of skill in using the suit's mobility as well as aiming while on the move. Since there is no smart pistol like with Titanfall, this means that people have to actively aim and while criticism of auto-aim are valid for the console versions, i'm not sure how accurate it is for the PC version.
Not really. If it was done in such a way as Tribes, you could argue it did. But in this case, if anything, it actually makes things even more dumbed down due to the 'verticality' of the map design. When devs have to balance or change maps around catering to some movement gimmick, the map becomes less about knowing what corners to push, where to peek, what corridors to hold etc and more about finding places high up to camp in and to derp around with the jetpack.

Add that to all the other existing kill-streak, loadout, perks rubbish and the stupid simple gun play and the CoD series is even more untenable as a competitive title than ever before.Not that any of that is wrong, I'm more than happy for people to have a silly fun pub game to play, it just irks me when people like TB try to give it credit for being anything more than that.
 

Sillarra

I have no idea how I got here.
Aug 14, 2014
60
0
0
Aiddon said:
The single player campaign in these types of games, when you get down to it, does not exist for the benefit of the player. It is designed solely to create set pieces to put into trailers to get people's attention so that they buy it on launch day. And considering how CoD's numbers have been steadily declining for a few years, they're desperate to do everything they can to sell as much as they can on launch before the bubble bursts and then they have to pick another franchise to be their cash cow.
Well, Destiny already has a sequel on the works, so I guess that's their next cash cow.
 

ExtraDebit

New member
Jul 16, 2011
533
0
0
Can I still do a Melee build? once I can do a melee build I'll remain a happy camper. There is something very satisfying about bringing a knife to a gun fight.
 

TippiestRook

New member
Nov 29, 2013
21
0
0
Delcast said:
When I saw "PRESS X TO PAY RESPECTS" I simply laughed my ass off... because whoever is developing this has to know that is fantastic parody... right?
I hope they know that.

Anyhow, that was a good review, I agree with most of the points, but I still have had a blast with it.
Same,I remember laughing my ass off when this scene came up.
 

Ragsnstitches

New member
Dec 2, 2009
1,871
0
0
I remember an episode of Extra Credits where one of the crew mentioned that if you interpret CoD as Satire, you'd find it far more enjoyable. Are we absolutely sure, given that particular scene, that CoD isn't actually satire? It's too funny to be a genuine attempt at drama.

Alas, I doubt it is the case. The series isn't known for its self awareness. Also, satire or no, tired and dated mechanics with superfluous gimmicks still makes it a mediocre game at best. Hopefully this will be the straw that breaks the camels back and gives way to a new (or old but better) franchise to take the limelight.
 

anonymity88

New member
Sep 20, 2010
337
0
0
I thought he was taking the piss with that press X to pay respects line.

Then I saw the screenshot...