Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Review

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Haven't played it yet, and don't really feel like it, what attracted me to the first Black Ops was the fact that it was set in Vietnam, plus, setting CoD in the future with big robots is kinda "If I want sci-fi there're more traditional brands out there" you know? Yes i know, I'm being very ignorant here, but that's something I do, with EVERYTHING, I tend to stick with the devil I know, on CoD's favor, I always prefer it to any other game when it comes to World War II.

HOWEVER, seeing the gameplay it really feels impressive, so despite my downright prejudice, this looks like a badass game.

Anyway, what I truly came to say was something else: reading the facebook comments on the review I must say that reviewing games like CoD nowadays is a job that requires BALLS. There's so much HATE in those comments, people are bashing the game simply because it's CoD, and the reviewer because he gave it a 4 star. I'm getting tired of this nerdy-gamer behavior, this unjustifiable hate towards Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Gears of War, it's starting to feel like they don't even care about quality, they just hate it because it came from a big company, because it's successful, it's irrational, so much so it's actually scary.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
Milanezi said:
I'm getting tired of this nerdy-gamer behavior, this unjustifiable hate towards Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Gears of War, it's starting to feel like they don't even care about quality, they just hate it because it came from a big company, because it's successful, it's irrational, so much so it's actually scary.
Just got to say quickly, after playing Warfighter, any hate towards Medal of Honor is kiiiiiiiiinda justified.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
dumbseizure said:
Milanezi said:
I'm getting tired of this nerdy-gamer behavior, this unjustifiable hate towards Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Gears of War, it's starting to feel like they don't even care about quality, they just hate it because it came from a big company, because it's successful, it's irrational, so much so it's actually scary.
Just got to say quickly, after playing Warfighter, any hate towards Medal of Honor is kiiiiiiiiinda justified.
But you see it, the way you put it, you don't hate it because it's MoH, you hate it, or just didn't like it, because it didn't live up to your expectations, or maybe was even subpar to what any game in the genre should be. That's not only justifiable and normal, it's also potentially constructive, IF you voice why you hated it (not to me, but somewhere MoH developers will read), and they learn from their mistakes. I didn't play RE 6, I sincerely think I'll play it sooner or later because the whole crazy got my attention, for a while now I've treated RE more like an anime with monsters than a survival horror, but people who are true fans hated the game, and if things turn out as they should Capcom WILL listen to fans before releasing a new game; that's because no one is bad mouthing RE for being RE or being a Capcom game, they just sincerely felt letdown by the product.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Tsaba said:
Susan Arendt said:
It is far, far, FAR more likely that I will insert random pictures of kittens and/or otters into every show on our schedule. :)

Actually, now that I say it, that sounds kind of brilliant...
Well, lets start.

While I have yet, to get this game, I will reserve my judgment until I see their approach to DLC. Instead of spending 15 dollars on DLC, my money would be better spent on watching the suffering of those participating on desert bus.

That...is beautiful. Might have to replace the "Ha!" with it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Haven't gotten it yet, but so far from my friends that have played it, all I've heard is "Well, it's better than MW 3, but...ehhhhhh......"

In the end, I think the gaming community is FINALLY starting (that's the keyword: "starting") to get over it's love affair with CoD games.

That said, I'll still probably end up getting it here in the next few days. :p

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
erttheking said:
wombat_of_war said:
seriously big yellow objective markers over a tank that tell the player "destroy"? i worry about gamers these days
Can't help but feel like that isn't really something to get worked up over.
Thats because it isnt.

OT: This was actually a pretty positive sounding review. I was thinking it was gonna get ragged on simply because it was COD.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Maybe I'll look at a used version around Christmas. Since CoD4 I've always had the impression that Treyarch's versions always felt a bit more clunky in multiplayer than Infinity Ward's but they put some extra charm and heart into their single player and co-op zombies modes.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Susan Arendt said:
Tsaba said:
Susan Arendt said:
It is far, far, FAR more likely that I will insert random pictures of kittens and/or otters into every show on our schedule. :)

Well, lets start.

While I have yet, to get this game, I will reserve my judgment until I see their approach to DLC. Instead of spending 15 dollars on DLC, my money would be better spent on watching the suffering of those participating on desert bus.

That...is beautiful. Might have to replace the "Ha!" with it.
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/398160/events/1594566/player_pop_up

Or you could replace every video with this. No one would hold it against you if you did. :D

EDIT: Oh right, there was a review here, not just kittens.
I'll probably end up with Blops2 sometime in the future. It just doesn't have my full attention right now. Plus The Walking Dead Episode 5 is out in 5 days. So...yeah. :D

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I don't like Mordern shooters... at all, but that horse level looks pretty badass. Riding down a tank with a horse mounted bazooka! YES PLEASE!!!

ARCTIC_EAGLE

Dec 31, 2011
I never would've guessed COD getting positive reviews...its not like every single version does because...its COD. I'm guessing here, but COD:MW4 is going to get 4/5 or 90-100 depending on scale, its also going to sell a lot of copies. Here's another prediction COD:BO3 is going to get 4/5 or 90-100 and COD:MW5 is going to get 4/5 or 90-100, etc.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Tiamat666 said:
Riding a horse armed with a rocket launcher blowing up soviet tanks?

Nobody else find this scene highly... comical?
Most people exactly enjoy codblops2 as that mindless popcorn action flick with occasional interactive bits.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Tiamat666 said:

I might have, if it hadn't been lifted whole-cloth from Rambo III:

ARCTIC_EAGLE

Dec 31, 2011
Marik Bentusi said:
Tiamat666 said:

Most people exactly enjoy codblops2 as that mindless popcorn action flick with occasional interactive bits.
mindless, same-old-same-old, built 5 years ago, yet somehow able to get 4/5. I find it interesting that reviewers are willing to give COD:BO2 4/5 or 90-100 even though its the same game for 5 years but won't give MOH:W anything above a 60...but ya its legit.

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
Tiamat666 said:

If by comical you mean bloody awesome then yes.
The level literally ends with you charging head on against a double barreled tank the size of a city block.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
Dangit2019 said:
Phlakes said:
bobmus said:
Phlakes said:
For another opinion check out this review from our friends at Smosh Games.
...The hell? I mean, I know cross-promotion is good and all, but really, there are much better people to associate with.
Not to burst your bubble or anything, but Alloy Digital (who also own SMOSH) now own the Escapist.
Source: http://www.gamepolitics.com/2012/11/15/alloy-digital-acquires-escapist
Oh. Well that definitely explains it.

I still trust the Escapist people to be awesome like always, but that's a little worrying. Hopefully it ends up a good thing.
"In accordance with Smosh's creative decisions, the Escapist will replace every show on it's schedule with 5 minutes of the Smosh stars shouting random words into the camera."

-My Greatest Nightmare

I think you should reupload ZP videos with the image of Yahtzee wearing cat ears spliced in the videos.

eternal-chaplain

Mar 17, 2010
I almost feel bad for saying it...but the game doesn't look as awful as I thought it would.
It certainly seems to have put some twists on the stale formula of old, and it's nice to see them finally fix the multiplayer. Well. Maybe not 'fix' but they at least evolved it beyond that create-a-class bullshit.
Though I must agree, it seems as though it could have been much more.
Especially the robots--those looked like they could present the game with so much (levels designed around the robots' highly diverse abilities, primarily).
I may actually consider spending money on this...

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Right now I'm just glad that the gameplay for the Call of Duty series has finally had enough changes to warrant a purchase. One of the problems with releasing a new game so regularly is that there are so few changes between each successive game that it's like buying expansion packs. In fact, I think I had a similar experience happen with the Halo series going from Halo 3 to ODST and then to Reach, though to be fair they did do a lot more changes between ODST and Reach than Activisions developers did with Modern Warfare titles.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
The moment they made me climb on a cliff with future gloves, play dual spiderman-rope with a dude who sounds like Danny DeVito, then have me Batman all the way down through the jungle to infiltrate the enemy stronghold, I was pretty much convinced that the game would be awesome.

But yes, I pretty much agree with everything. I do seem to suck in multiplayer more than ever in Blops 2 though.

But the biggest improvement, to me, is the enabling of 4 player splitscreen zombies. I'm going to have some zombie blasting fun with my friends :D