Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified Review

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified Review

The Cold War doesn't get any colder than this.

Read Full Article

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I hope people don't make a big deal out of your initial joke of "No" short and long answer as being a "yahtzee" joke.

Anyways, good review. Low score. I'm somewhat surprised to be honest.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
wow....

Don't own a vita so it doesn't really matter to me... but wow.... you didn't mince words.

I'd be glad of this review if i was considering purchasing it

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
It's really too bad but it's not Sony's fault that Activision rushed the title out the doors. And fuck, they gave the title to Nihilistic, who are known for making shitty games. At least I have P4G soon, can not wait for it to arrive.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
Yeah, this is a pretty similar review to the one gameplanet put up. Doesn't look like many people enjoy the game and it's 90 minute campaign.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
The sad thing is I had some hope for this game at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I came to the conclusion it would be awful.

The sad thing is that if AC Liberation had been better, and this had been at least good to some degree, I would probably get a Vita. But unfortunately I can't do that.

It really pisses me off that companies aren't doing anything worthwhile on the vita (I'm not saying AC liberation is bad, or isn't doing anything, this is more about COD)

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
This is getting pretty much universally panned.

I reviewed Burning Skies when it came out, and I was completely honest when I said I wanted Nihilistic to have another shot at an FPS on the Vita. There were glimmers of potential with that one, enough that, I thought, Nihilistic could hit all the right notes with another title or two. Instead, we get this... thing. I can't really comment on the quality, since I haven't played it, but when the only positive comments about it I can find are Metacritic user reviews, it really doesn't have much of a chance.

It's sad: I imagine there were quite a few people who would have gotten a Vita just for this game. Call of Duty may be a divisive series, but it certainly had the potential to move units. Now no one is going to believe that the Vita can do a decent first-person shooter.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
SonOfMethuselah said:
It's sad: I imagine there were quite a few people who would have gotten a Vita just for this game. Call of Duty may be a divisive series, but it certainly had the potential to move units. Now no one is going to believe that the Vita can do a decent first-person shooter.
Here's what really sucks...this game is getting bundled with Vitas right now. So people who were on the fence about one maybe love COD and see the bundle, take it home and it's this disgrace to 1's and 0's masquerading as a game. Why would they get more games for it if the number one title they'd want for it is this thing? I don't want to say this game alone is a kiss of death for Vita, but it should have been a major point in the system's favor, being the most successful property of all entertainment ever.

At least...PS Plus is on the Vita now, and you get Final Fantasy Tactics, Gravity Rush, Tales from space, Jet Set Radio, Uncharted, and Wipeout are free. And P4 Golden is finally upon us, getting rave reviews despite being an enhancement of a PS2 game. I really want this system to do well, but this COD thing is not going to help one iota.

Briney-

Jul 13, 2011
I don't care if it takes longer, but they need to produce quality games for the Vita. For something that has instant brand recognition (Call of Duty), this is completely unacceptable.

They seriously need to get their act together.

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
DrunkOnEstus said:
Here's what really sucks...this game is getting bundled with Vitas right now. So people who were on the fence about one maybe love COD and see the bundle, take it home and it's this disgrace to 1's and 0's masquerading as a game.
This.

This is a huge deal. CoD is a AAA franchise, but this game is the poorest representation of what the Vita (and a mobile shooter) is capable of. You all read the review, so you know my thoughts on it already, but the weight of the Vita being bundled with this game cannot be overstated.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
DrunkOnEstus said:
Here's what really sucks...this game is getting bundled with Vitas right now. So people who were on the fence about one maybe love COD and see the bundle, take it home and it's this disgrace to 1's and 0's masquerading as a game. Why would they get more games for it if the number one title they'd want for it is this thing? I don't want to say this game alone is a kiss of death for Vita, but it should have been a major point in the system's favor, being the most successful property of all entertainment ever.

At least...PS Plus is on the Vita now, and you get Final Fantasy Tactics, Gravity Rush, Tales from space, Jet Set Radio, Uncharted, and Wipeout are free. And P4 Golden is finally upon us, getting rave reviews despite being an enhancement of a PS2 game. I really want this system to do well, but this COD thing is not going to help one iota.
I guess everyone is really at fault here: Nihilistic (or nStigate, or whatever the hell they call themselves) for designing this tripe, Activision for agreeing to publish it, (honestly, if I was Kotick, I would have kicked the developers out of my office after trying it. Letting it go to market is inexcusable), and Sony for being so desperate to move Vita units that they packaged them with this game to try and use the brand recognition, without first waiting to see if the game was worth being part of a bundle.

I love my Vita, but if I hadn't bought one yet, and saw that Sony was packaging them with this, regardless of how poorly it was doing, it wouldn't turn me off of buying a Vita, per say, but I certainly would be very cautious about touching any future bundles they offered.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
I'm gonna go ahead and just throw this out there: CALLED IT!

Seriously though the Vita has so much fucking potential for FPS games, and now we are on strike 2. Hopefully Killzone Mercenary will be the Vita's saving grace otherwise I'm just not buying one.